Blu-ray reacts angrily to HD DVD (attach rate) claims

"Simonis said that the HD DVD Promotion Group's decision to include the PlayStation 3 in its figures had raised a few eyebrows in the Blu-ray camp."

Well isn't that how they're marketing it, as a BD player? Can't have it both ways. It's either a BD player or not.

S~

Later in the article they say that SOny welcomes the PS3 inclusion.

Simonis did, however, welcome the HD DVD camp's decision to include the PS3 as a BD player, and said he hoped that they would continue to do so in the future
So what is their beef?

They cannot have it both ways. They (BLUE) want to be counted as a blu-ray player but they do not want to be counted in the attach rate calculation because it lowers their numbers. :haha :haha

Last edited:
Ah yes, do we accept the PS3 figures or not? Do we accept them and then say that BD has a lead in players in the homes or not and say that HD-DVD leads in standalones?

Do we only use the number of PS3s in the homes when we want to show that our attachment rate is alot better or not and allow BD attachment rates to rival HD-DVD's rates ?

Do we say that because not everyone who owns a PS3 watches BD movies so the format is not doing well or not and admit that at least 50% of PS3 owners are viewing and purchasing BDs and this is why HD-DVD can not get the lead over BD?

Man, even those crazy European HD-DVD zealots can't make up their collective minds either! Must be maddening for them!:haha:haha:river:river:haha

ps: now we have to troll Europe for BD/HD-DVD news?

You cant have it both ways big blue. If we count the PS3 as a player your attach rate calculation has to include them as well. The Europeans have simply given the BD boys what they have been crying over for months. Now that they see its not all good news they cry like babies again.

Ah yes, do we accept the PS3 figures or not? Do we accept them and then say that BD has a lead in players in the homes or not and say that HD-DVD leads in standalones?
Yes, count the players because 60% of the people with PS3s don't even know it plays movies. I guess 60% of the people who bought a PS3 are dumb!

Yes count them when we want to show our superior attachment rate- -- NO don't count them when we want to show we have more players in the homes??

You guys are beginning to sound like a pair of old ladies with their nickers in a twist!:eek:

Yes count them when we want to show our superior attachment rate- -- NO don't count them when we want to show we have more players in the homes??

You guys are beginning to sound like a pair of old ladies with their nickers in a twist!:eek:
Last time I checked the HD DVD camp wasnt the one crying.:rolleyes:

I am not crying -- I am buying my movies for half off -- what ya doing big guy?:D

OK, if 13% of the players are being used as a player that means only 312,000 players (2,400,000 * 13%). Add that to about 100,000 stand alone players and HD DVD is winning!! :)

Wait a minute, now BD has a better attachment rate. :(

I am not crying -- I am buying my movies for half off -- what ya doing big guy?:D
Right now I am buying the BOGO deals. If Sony wants to bleed I will surely take the free movies and help BD bleed more cash. When it ends I will buy HD DVD.

This argument is getting very boring.

If you don't include the PS3 its unfair, if you do include the PS3 its STILL unfair.

Main reason EVERYONE should quit worrying about player totals and watch total software sales.

HDDVD can claim all they want about attach rate, at the end of the day BD outsells HDDVD every week and on every dual format release. The HDDVD camp should accept it and the BD camp should quit worrying about it.

The Nielsen's are enough for me to see whats going on.

Transformers is great example. We all know it did great on HDDVD, but if it would have been on both the BD title would have ruled and the damn total HD sales would have been sooo much more.

I say let em all go neutral and let it work itself out.

Yes, count the players because 60% of the people with PS3s don't even know it plays movies. I guess 60% of the people who bought a PS3 are dumb!

ROFL, you are full of it.
Did you go to every single household and asked them if they knew their PS3 played BD movies? No, so I would not touch that topic.

ROFL...Unless you own stock on one of the companys you handover you hard earned cash for a movie....

Do brag...is comical.....take about one being born evey min....

ROFL...Unless you own stock on one of the companys you handover you hard earned cash for a movie....

Do brag...is comical.....take about one being born evey min....

What is your problem?
Its their money, they chose how to spend it.
I buy movies because I like to own them, I watch movies nearly everyday, I pop a disc in my player and relax after a long day at work, except on Sundays/Mondays (Its FOOTBALL DAY for me those 2 days)

ROFL, you are full of it.
Did you go to every single household and asked them if they knew their PS3 played BD movies? No, so I would not touch that topic.
Well then, the only fair way is to count all of the PS3's as players which the HD DVD group has done in the attach rate calcs.

I decree that it will be the policy of this administration that the PS3 is indeed a Blu-Ray player. Conversely the hd-dvd add on will be counted as a hd-dvd player.

Seriously people devises are converging. What is next? Are the Tivo freaks going to bash the PS3 when it gets DVR functions? Are the iPod hounds going to bash the iPhone as not a true iPod because it can place a telephone call?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)