El Dorado Hills, CA
This was an article at MSNBC.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17280314/

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD: Choose or maybe lose
Improvements in players compel buyers to bet on which format will win
By Peter Svensson
The Associated Press
Updated: 3:08 p.m. PT Feb 22, 2007
NEW YORK - The two movie disc formats that are competing to replace the DVD have had a rocky start, with clunky first-generation players and an audience that has been reluctant to buy them for fear of betting on the losing side.

But there’s now a second generation of players out, and in our test of three of them, it’s clear they left the problems of their predecessors behind. Sorry, consumers, but it’s time to choose sides: Blu-ray or HD DVD.

From the HD DVD camp I tried Toshiba Corp.’s $499 HD-A2 player. In the other corner of the ring swaggered Sony Corp.’s BDP-S1 Blu-ray disc player, which lists for $999 but is available for less. As a cheaper alternative, I also looked at the Blu-ray function of a $599 PlayStation 3 from Sony.

Our review of the first Toshiba HD DVD player, the HD-A1, in September noted that it was a massive affair that took a minute to start up and another to load the movie disc. The first Blu-ray player, from Samsung, was met by similar complaints, and appeared to degrade image quality slightly.

HD DVDs look sharp on Toshiba player
The HD-A2, by contrast, is a svelte device that looks very much like a regular DVD player. It takes 30 seconds to load a disc, a little slow but not enough to bore you. The fan is louder than you’d expect from a DVD player, but not bothersome in most entertainment centers.

HD DVDs looked, for the most part, fantastic on my 46-inch Sony LCD set, which is big enough to reveal the flaws in DVDs — they all look like they’re shot through a thin layer of jelly. “Deer Hunter” in HD DVD looked jaw-droppingly sharp and beautiful. An older movie like “Casablanca,” which has many medium shots, gained a dimension when I could clearly see the glints in the characters’ eyes.

The HD-A2 will pep up DVDs a little bit by “upconverting” them to faux high-definition, but for most discs, that only works if the player is connected to the TV by a digital High-Definition Multimedia Interface, or HDMI cable. The cheaper and more common three-lead component video cables won’t do. (Annoying fact: None of three devices I tested included a component or HDMI cable, just a standard-definition cable. If you want high-definition output from them, that’s about $30 extra!)

Sony Blu-ray player quieter
The HD-A2 doesn’t output the very highest-definition signal, called 1080p. The player is limited to a resolution of 1080i, which is 1080 lines of vertical resolution, with alternating lines refreshed every 60th of a second. If that doesn’t mean anything to you, don’t worry. My TV set is capable of showing 1080p, but I didn’t see a shred of difference between that and 1080i. If you really want 1080p output, Toshiba has another model, HD-XA2, that lists for $999.

The BDP-S1 is comparable to the HD-XA2. It’s a big, handsome box that makes you feel like you’re getting a lot for your $999. It was the quietest player in the test. The remote is easier to use and more substantial than the Toshiba’s. It loads a disc in 30 seconds, just like the HD-A2, and it can output 1080p.

Just one niggle: It was sometimes slow to respond to commands from the remote.

It also has a possible limitation in that, unlike the HD-A2 and the PlayStation, it does not connect to the Internet. The HD-A2 has an Ethernet jack for connecting the unit to an Internet router. The usefulness of that feature is not clear at the moment, though. Future HD DVD discs could connect to the Internet for special features like online games, and Toshiba may send software upgrades to the player that way.

Even so, the BDP-S1 is a fine machine. But I can’t quite recommend buying a PlayStation 3 for use exclusively as a Blu-ray player, mainly because it’s loud. Being more versatile than the other units, it contains more heat-generating chips, which means more ventilation is needed. The noise isn’t so loud that it will intrude on your movies, but it’s audible when nothing is playing, and it felt like a disharmonious, industrial element in the living room.

Expensive TV merits HD player
The PlayStation’s wireless controller is hard to use, so if you’re going to watch Blu-ray discs more than occasionally, I recommend getting Sony’s $25 video-style remote. If you have a good DVD player, keep it: The PlayStation does not upconvert DVDs.

The PlayStation does get a star for being the only unit that you can stand vertically, which might help if you’re short of space.

So both the stand-alone players are good. Should you get one? If you’ve spent $2,000 or more on an HDTV, I’d say yes. Get your money’s worth from your TV set.

It’s tougher to say which player to get. I liked the HD DVD player, and the discs had a more consistent image quality, probably because they use a more sophisticated mathematical formula, or codec, to pack the movie into the disc.

Blu-ray discs selling faster
Some Blu-ray movies showed slight smearing of colors in darker scenes, and “The Fifth Element,” an early disc, was overall not as crisp as it should have been. But the image quality of recent Blu-ray discs was a clear improvement, and the format has more support from Hollywood studios. Also, the PlayStation 3 is the most common HD player out there, so Blu-ray discs are selling faster than HD DVDs, according to Nielsen VideoScan.

Blu-ray appears to have the edge, but it’s still up in the air. What if the format you buy into turns out to be the Betamax of the matchup?

For one thing, you can minimize your risk by renting, not buying, discs. Netflix has every HD DVD and Blu-ray disc that’s out.

Secondly, consider this: In two years’ time, when you realize you’ve bet on the wrong horse, a player for the dominant format is going to cost maybe $200. Buy one, and keep your first player to play the “wrong” format discs you’ve bought.

See? There’s no reason to fear the format fight.

Oh yeah, I'm going to buy now because Microsoft says to. Yes, I'll do that. Right after I buy a Vista "upgrade."

I thought MS sold their stake in MSNBC or at least the substantial stake and only retained a small portion. Either way, I thought the article was mostly objective.

I would never take the word of a laymen when compared to a review by a home theater mag who caters to the world of home theater enthusiasts.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-dvd-bluray/1927/shootout-3-blu-ray-disc-players.html

The MSNBC article is M$ FUD. The guy probably did not even use a PS3. First, the controller is very easy to use and if you buy the BlueTooth remote you will be amazed at how responsive your PS3 is as a BD player.

His main point of the story is how the HD-DVD players have improved. Then he adds a few BD comments -- basically negative ones -- Shoots down the PS3 (he probably did not use one at all) and then talks about a title everyone knows was a very bad conversion by Sony just to make his point that HD-DVD is improving.

He probably tried to figure out how to deliver that BD is currently outselling HD-DVD without hurting his article. Maybe he should of just reported about the new Toshiba HD-DVD players and left BD alone. Then his article would hold more water, as it is I bet he doesn't even own a HDTV!

The MSNBC article is M$ FUD. !

What a strange reaction, considering the article states that both formats and all players are good. And to suggest that he doesn't even own an HDTV because he doesn't share your absurd worship of a gaming console? What?

How insecure do you have to be to personally attack everybody who does not validate your choices? If you are happy with the PS3 as a BD player, then be happy with it? Don't feel bad when someone doesn't agree.

Can a PS3 stream my HD mpeg2 files from my Infrant server? Which is the better option for this? the 360 or the PS3?

Both are supposed to be computers basically. Can they play WMVHD files written to a DL DVD? Or a simple HD mpeg2 file written to a DL DVD? or do they have to be in a DVD file format? Eventually I will want one of these machines if they can replace my linkplayer2.

maybe the best solution is a mini PC at this point?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts