BluRay cracked

So, why doesn't someone come up with a movie player that holds 50 to a hundred discs. They did it with CDS why not with movies?

There are DVD changers which can hold a few hundred discs. I'd imagine that HD-DVD and BD changers may exist in the future.

My interest in progress in cracking the formats is because I, too, want to be able to put my movies on my server, rip the ads and menus off of them, and have easy immediate access to the movies we play repeatedly (kids movies, mostly). On occasion, I'll edit them to pull out a scene or two which we don't want for various reasons. The only use my living room DVD player gets these days is for rentals or DVDs from the library.

Whether or not the format is cracked, or some DRM-happy solution is developed which allows me to have a central media server and get straight to the content I want is immaterial, but I'm betting on cracking the encryption as getting me closer to this end.

Vurbano, I wear the BluRay fanboy as proudly as you wear the HD-DVD fanboy. I personally do not care if BluRay is cracked. All of my equipment is capable of passing HDCP digitally. I was thinking of the some 6-8 million HDTV analog sets out there that will be relegated to downconverted signals if the studios start demanding the protection be turned on.

On another note, I am not going to try to explain all every nuance of downconverting because I went thru this with several other early adopters in 2000. We all got upset when we found this out. All HD settop boxes that have analog out for hd also have a chip that when turned on downconverts HD to half resolution on those analog outputs. Now maybe you don't know your settop has that chip in it and I am sure the company that sold it to you did not tell you that but it is there.

At least Charlie @ Dishnetwork was honest about it with Dish's very first HD settop. He admitted that the chip was there and that it would not be turned on unless the studios required it. He also said there was nothing he could do if the studios so required this. If you don't believe me do a search and I am sure you will find those posts if they are still here.

It does not make any differance which settop box you have or from what company. The analog output can be downrezed and that would also affect OTA HD.

Now, any HDTV that has DVI, HDMI or an internal HD tuner would not be affected providing you are using the digital inputs and not the analog. If you do not know this information it is the dirty little secret that most early adopters already know about and most companies do not talk about. This was the deal made between the studios and the content providers so that we could receive HD over cable, satellite and OTA.
People such as yourself have been running around screaming the sky is going to fall for years about the content flag and the threat of downrezzing the component outputs.

bytre, As long as you orginally purchased the movies I believe that you should be able to do that for your personal use.

Vurbano, I am not screaming. Just informing. Now back in 2000 and 2001 when all the HDTVs had analog only inputs -- now that was a differant time.:)

Vurbano, I am not screaming. Just informing. Now back in 2000 and 2001 when all the HDTVs had analog only inputs -- now that was a differant time.:)
Informing who? I doubt there is anything I could learn from you. Did anyone ask for this lecture?

Vurbano, Do you ever listen to customers - say at BEST BUY- when they ask questions about HDTV? Most have questions and most salespeople do not have a clue.

Personally, I think that there are alot of casual viewers who come into forums just like this for information. You obviously know alot, why not share? The fact that I chose to share information is not screeming nor lecturing. If you feel that way then after this I will not post using your name -- sorry to upset you.

IF your best advice is to go buy a PS3 then I think those people would be better off without your lectures

What's wrong with the PS3? It works doesn't it? Besides, it will be another year before BluRay standalones start hitting under $500 so someone who wants to get on the BluRay bandwagon early can do it now with a PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)