I told you so... HD-DVD vs bluray

Again with the profile 1 and 2 crap. I received a free PS3 about 6 weeks ago and used the the internet connection twice. Once to see if it worked and the second to show someone. that was the only times Ive used features the profile 1 and 2 provide. I would say most people really dont care about those features they just want to watch the movie. everytime this argument is brought up the HDDVD croud brings this up like the player wont work without the profile 1.1 and 2.0

No there are not. There are a few crappy models on Amazon for the high $300s right now. Most are above $400-$500 new and above the cost of a PS3.

Don't state your "facts" without proof. Just do an amazon search and see for yourself. PS3 is still the cheapest bet. And don't forget the 1.0-2.0 profiles. Those 1 or 2 sub $400 (high $300) players won't support profile 2.0, the PS3 WILL.

You are annoying me now Mr. Know-it-all!

Again with the profile 1 and 2 crap. I received a free PS3 about 6 weeks ago and used the the internet connection twice. Once to see if it worked and the second to show someone. that was the only times Ive used features the profile 1 and 2 provide. I would say most people really dont care about those features they just want to watch the movie. everytime this argument is brought up the HDDVD croud brings this up like the player wont work without the profile 1.1 and 2.0
Again with this BD apologetic crap excusing their flaws! If it does not matter then why do they keep shoving it down our throats within advertising? I think we can all agree this profile crap has been a nightmare. So much for the full featured complete product from day one.

Next BD apology in 3,2,1

I would say most people really dont care about those features they just want to watch the movie.
This argument would be a lot more compelling if there were actually software that supported 1.1 and 2.0 features. It is difficult to form an opinion on something that is so new to the market that only one title offers support.

You should use that Internet connection one more time to upgrade to the latest firmware on the PS3. It supports profile 2.0.

We should combine the war zone and blu ray forum and rename it the "same ol **** different day zone"

Seriously, can no one offer anything more productive than the same ol arguments. One can search the rabid posters history in here and the last two weeks they've said the same thing over and over.

Anybody see the Best Buy circular again this week? A couple boxed set Blurays on "sale." Still not seeing the deep discounts we were seeing when competition existed. None of the stand alone discs have an advertised price worth a hoot.

Let's rewind three months. There were no less than four or five titles of each format (HD-DVD or bluray) on sale.

Anybody that can't see the damage that has been done to the consumer with bluray "winning" the war is beyond convincing at this point. But, the evidence is there for anybody to see. bluray prices are not going down anytime soon.

On a totally different note... I see the $60 Orange Box game for Xbox360 has been split into separate games, sold individually, they are about $70 now for all three. This comes at a time when Orange box should have dropped to $30-$40 in the life cycle of a game. What an interesting way to add life to a product that has been around for a while. Just for the record, Circuit City has these games on sale for about $50 if I remember correctly, which is a little more realistic than splitting it up and charging more than you charged for the product as a whole for the last six or more months. Insane.

That was also the christmas season...so yes there was good discounts.

Anybody see the Best Buy circular again this week? A couple boxed set Blurays on "sale." Still not seeing the deep discounts we were seeing when competition existed. None of the stand alone discs have an advertised price worth a hoot.

Let's rewind three months. There were no less than four or five titles of each format (HD-DVD or bluray) on sale.

Anybody that can't see the damage that has been done to the consumer with bluray "winning" the war is beyond convincing at this point. But, the evidence is there for anybody to see. bluray prices are not going down anytime soon.

On a totally different note... I see the $60 Orange Box game for Xbox360 has been split into separate games, sold individually, they are about $70 now for all three. This comes at a time when Orange box should have dropped to $30-$40 in the life cycle of a game. What an interesting way to add life to a product that has been around for a while. Just for the record, Circuit City has these games on sale for about $50 if I remember correctly, which is a little more realistic than splitting it up and charging more than you charged for the product as a whole for the last six or more months. Insane.

Skottey...I updated the software when i recieved the PS3 I assume it already upgraded to 2.0. that was the first time i used the internet connection.

You should use that Internet connection one more time to upgrade to the latest firmware on the PS3. It supports profile 2.0.

Orange Box was split up for the PC version only (not 360 or PS3). I hope they do split it up for those formats someday (at the very least as a download) as I would love to have Portal without the other games. And for the record, since the Orange Box had 5 different games, it originally retailed (360 and PS3) for $80 (not sure about the PC version), so $60 was a nice reduction for its lifecycle, though I have seen it on sale at major retailers (Target, Best Buy, CC, Fry's) from time to time for as low as $40.

On another note, BD sale at Amazon right now: http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/131177-amazon-buy-2-get-1-a.html

Last edited:
Orange Box was split up for the PC version only (not 360 or PS3). I hope they do split it up for those formats someday (at the very least as a download) as I would love to have Portal without the other games. And for the record, since the Orange Box had 5 different games, it originally retailed (360 and PS3) for $80 (not sure about the PC version), so $60 was a nice reduction for its lifecycle, though I have seen it on sale at major retailers (Target, Best Buy, CC, Fry's) from time to time for as low as $40.

On another note, BD sale at Amazon right now: http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/131177-amazon-buy-2-get-1-a.html

My mistake on the break up of Orange box... I thought it was for the Xbox version as well.

Every time I have seen it for the Xbox 360 I have seen it for $59.99... I must have missed the $80 price tag. I don't own it nor have ever played it but have heard good things. I was considering buying it. So Portal is the only good game?

Skottey...I updated the software when i recieved the PS3 I assume it already upgraded to 2.0. that was the first time i used the internet connection.

If I am not mistaken the latest update gave us profile 2.0 support. I don't believe it was available prior.

I make it a habit of checking for updates at least once a month. Force of habit I guess, since I hail from the computer world as far as career. Drivers drivers drivers... always getting the latest drivers, firmware and software!

That was also the christmas season...so yes there was good discounts.

OK.... fair enough (even though April - 3 = January... counting backwards March 1, Feb 2, Jan 3)...but let's rewind five months, six months, seven months... etc.... while HD-DVD existed, both formats had weekly sales for much of 2007 (2nd half at least).

We should combine the war zone and blu ray forum and rename it the "same ol **** different day zone"

Seriously, can no one offer anything more productive than the same ol arguments. One can search the rabid posters history in here and the last two weeks they've said the same thing over and over.
With post like the one below from a BD cheerleaders how can you not expect the "same ol ****". And then when called on it he started crying which really turned your beloved BD forum into a warzone. Its time for some of us to look in the mirror.
This was seen as necessary to increase global share of Blu-ray products from 20% of the market (the other 80% belonging to DVD) to 50% by the end of this year.

My mistake on the break up of Orange box... I thought it was for the Xbox version as well.

Every time I have seen it for the Xbox 360 I have seen it for $59.99... I must have missed the $80 price tag. I don't own it nor have ever played it but have heard good things. I was considering buying it. So Portal is the only good game?

I haven't played any of them, and to be honest, I'm not real big on first person shooter type of games. I just know Portal has garnered some major awards and critical acclaim for its originality, gameplay, and humor. I'd be willing to plop down $20 for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)