BluRay vs. HDDVD usability issues.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Most of the posts I see in the war zone are centered around who will win based on popularity that is driven by studio exclusives/titles and retail price deals on players.

While this is fine I would also like to add my own perception and rude awakening over the two formats.

When I first saw the Blu Ray and HD DVD formates demoed a couple years ago, I became initially one sided favoring the Sony Blu Ray for this reason- I produce content and being a Sony House, I felt that Sony's DVD authoring and editing software that I use and like today would directly support this medium. It would be a good choice to have a BluRay burner in the studio and a set top player in the Home theater. Plus, I could see the wide acceptance of the Studios on BR vs, few on HD DVD. I never forget that content choices / titles available is king when winning the so called format war. In addition to that, I was told by Sony and some BR supporters that the format was technically superior to HD DVD primarily because it was being designed from the ground up as a higher capacity disk plus a burnable format that could be used for video producers to run off short quantities of HD productions. They said HD DVD would not do that.

Well, it's two years later and I am getting ready to begin my Home theater transformation to 1080p and a deal surfaces that I could not turn down. It was one where I buy the 1080p projector and a DVDO 50 Pro processor that has a 4x1 hdmi switching at a good price, PLUS it was bundled with a free Toshiba A30 player. This is how I end up getting into HD DVD before Blu Ray.

But I am not giving up on Blu Ray. I just needed to continue shopping for a player so I can be "Purple" as the saying goes. Here's where my surprises surface-
After 2 years waiting for this format war to be decided, plus 2 years waiting to be a medium that is out of the early adopter stage, I discover several personal misconceptions about the two.
First, I get the HD DVD setup working and I am most impressed with the quality and features. I sign up with the largest Block Buster store in Jacksonville, and have what seems to be a good quantity of HD DVD titles. Well with Movie pass, I quickly exhausted their library of new titles and have reverted to watching others as in reruns. The Wow factor of HD DVD is spent as far as Block Buster is able to supply. Now I do a census count and discover that this store has reduced it's HD DVD titles shortly after I signed up and now has about 1/4 of the number of titles available for rent. The true census is what is available to buy or rent with other services such as Netflix. The title count is about equal and therefore the deciding factor is get both or settle for one that has the title collection you prefer. For me that would be a difficult choice so being Purple is the only answer here.

So, happy with how things are working with my HD DVD, just not happy with available titles to rent, I decided to ramp up my decision to buy into Blu Ray. The A30 I had came as a free bonus but was selling for around $300 where I could find it so I felt all things being equal, I should pay no more than $300 for a Blu Ray player. I begin to shop and after eliminating the high end stores who only sold Blu Ray for $1000 and up, I looked at the CC and BB deals. Hardly any inventory. I'm reading forum threads on which player is best and was shocked to learn that BluRay has barely entered the market with any sort of maturity. For waht I was told 2 years ago about being a technical superior format, I discover the opposite is true that HD DVD offers these high end features Now and most of the Hd DVD's are offering them too. Well, slap me on the side of the head! My favored Blu Ray is still in the "early adopter stage of development with what they call profile 1.1, to offer us some better audio and a PIP feature was just released and no disks will support it until January or March depending on which editorial you believe. Only one title! WTF? Here I wait for 2 years and it's still early adopter with Blu Ray.
Well as I said before You'd never know it because with all the sales of HD DVD players promotion, BB still has 4 times as many titles as HD DVD to rent. Something seems out of balance here, don't you think?

So here we have more players with fewer disk rentals for HD DVD and plenty of titles available that lacks high tech features and will only play on expensive hardware for Blu Ray. IT makes no sense! The only way we can explain it is the "spoils of war" between the two formats. The consumer is getting screwed!

Well, I order a Player for Blue Ray so I can get the titles to view, knowing full well the technology seems inferior to HD DVD, it will do for now as long as I don't over pay. I find the Sammy 1400 for a bit over $300 which was my goal and have it on the way. But continuing the fiasco this war brings, I discover some more problems such as very long startup times with Blu Ray as well as stuttering and judder. Further confirmation that BluRay is stuck in the early adopter level of development. Hopefully, I can put up with the issues I've read about with Blu Ray, and I'm hoping Sony and partners will soon fix all this stuff. Then I can buy a real feature rich BluRay player that matches the technology I now get with HD DVD plus have that long sought after tight integration into my edit system for HD content production. At this rate I may be retired from the business before this all comes together. with Sony and partners.

After considering all this- I have concluded that HD DVD is the better choice today for a mature format and available titles but do not spend too much on it. Blu Ray, seems to have more rental availability but lack features if you are into that. If you just want to see the movie and send it back, ignoring these features then Blu Ray today will serve you well. But again try not to spend too much on this format for a player because these players are ALL developmental products full of flaws and lacking features of the competition.

While all this was disappointing to me, I can say it has given me renewed excitement over some of these productions since the quality difference is so pronounced. Even the sd, DVD played on the HD DVD player offers significant improvement over an older SD upconverting DVD player. So, its worth it even with SD DVD library. Again, just don't pay too much as the technology will improve and the price will keep coming down to the under $100 price.

This is a personal experience post of my assessment today in the format war. Hopefully, I won't become collateral damage in the battles. So far it seems I lost a battle at Block Buster as they have reduced the inventory at my store of HD DVD as compared to Blu Ray.

BluRay vs. HDDVD; who will win? I think there is no clear cut answer.

BB online has more HD DVD titles than some of the stores that carry them. Hollywood Video carries both formats and Netflix is the preferred rental place for HD DVD owners.

Yeap, over a year and a half is way too long to reach the level of HD DVD. They weren't ready when HD DVD was that is why they announced "profile" dates. Like SOny said a couple weeks ago, if they could go back in time...., they could have reached an agreement. SOny had to have it their way and HD DVD forum was ready to roll. Of course this leaves Gen1 owners out in the cold as far as advanced features. I bought the Panasonic BD30, as I was extremely happy with the BD10, but no advanced authored discs for at least 2 more months.

S~

BB online has more HD DVD titles than some of the stores that carry them. Hollywood Video carries both formats and Netflix is the preferred rental place for HD DVD owners.

Yeap, over a year and a half is way too long to reach the level of HD DVD. They weren't ready when HD DVD was that is why they announced "profile" dates. Like SOny said a couple weeks ago, if they could go back in time...., they could have reached an agreement. SOny had to have it their way and HD DVD forum was ready to roll. Of course this leaves Gen1 owners out in the cold as far as advanced features. I bought the Panasonic BD30, as I was extremely happy with the BD10, but no advanced authored discs for at least 2 more months.

S~
People buy most of their stuff at the stores.

People buy most of their stuff at the stores.

Yeah, but he's talking about renting. Although many people still visit the B&M for their rentals, Netflix has put the smackdown on BB and HV.

S~

Last edited:
Don,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It is very helpful, I think.

I was at Best Buy the other day and one of the sales people there was telling me that Blu Ray is the better format. One of my co-workers said the same thing.

There is a lot of confusion about this. What I am seeing is that the sales people do not seem to know what makes it better, but it seems when I read these message boards, I see answers all over the place.

To be honest, I am still a bit perplexed as to which is the better format.

In any event, I think that price and availability of titles will win. With the moves that Toshiba has taken lately, Sony needs to respond. However, when I am out in the marketplace, Blu-Ray has a much stronger presence, even though they are much more expensive.

Only time will tell how this works out. I wish it would be more evident soon, because I would love to get in and buy a player soon.

BR has a better movies selection, I guess thats what they base their answers to.

Last list I saw about a month ago was that BR had 360 titles and HD DVD had 330. So in that respect BR has 30 more than HD DVD. Another thing is who has the movie selections you would buy. HT GUYS on AVS podcast claim that Kids videos sell more and the one with Kids videos will win. ???? Their best guess. The problem I have with this is that the studios with Sony studios excepted, can change to the other format or make both as they wish to sell product. They will side with the one that has the most players in use.

As to which is better, It seems to me it is broken into two sides, which one has the best feature set (technology) and which one has the widest studio releases.

Seems that the answer is that more studios are exclusive to BR than HD DVD, but the movie release is pretty close. If you like special features, HD DVD has them now while BR is planning to offer them in future releases.

Cost of hardware is also a factor for many but I don't consider it that way. In this category HD DVD wins due to their low introductory pricing.

Score card in my HT-

Blue Ray vs HD DVD rentals availability tonight- Blu Ray wins
BR vs HD DVD purchase quantity- Tie with BR a slight edge.
Technology features- HD DVD clear winner
Entry cost- HD DVD

The bold were the priority factors for me so I have to have both. When I say rental availability tonight, I mean I can decide to watch a movie and walk in and get it tonight, not put it on a cue list and let someone else decide when I will see it.

Asking sales people in stores is a bad way to determine since they are all biased on what they need to sell which is based on margins and inventory.

Last list I saw about a month ago was that BR had 360 titles and HD DVD had 330. So in that respect BR has 30 more than HD DVD.

But which one has more movies people actually want? For me, it's clearly BD, more than a 10% difference - not saying it's that way for everyone... just personal preference.

Another thing is who has the movie selections you would buy. HT GUYS on AVS podcast claim that Kids videos sell more and the one with Kids videos will win. ???? Their best guess.

If that's true it would give BD a pretty big edge with Disney, although Dreamworks is pretty strong in the HD camp - not nearly as many titles, though.

They will side with the one that has the most players in use.

I actually think they will side with the one that will sell them the most movies.

But which one has more movies people actually want?

Good question. Everyone has their own favorites. . Probably the best way to tell is to add up the DVD sales for each title in the two categories.

Personally, If you were to Neilson rate my viewing habits after 3 months of being purple, it would be BluRay because that is the most titles available to me by BlockBuster. But if you asked me which system I like better it would be HD DVD due to the superior features offered. I happen to be one who watches the movie with director's comments on and like how some HD DVD movies offer it as a popup during the movie normal viewing. I also like the PIP and the option ot trying out several sound flavors.

So if we take a movie that is released on both HD DVD and BluRay, and me having both players, I would select the HD DVD version due to superior technology offered. I hope that made sense.

But which one has more movies people actually want?

Good question. Everyone has their own favorites. . Probably the best way to tell is to add up the DVD sales for each title in the two categories.

Personally, If you were to Neilson rate my viewing habits after 3 months of being purple, it would be BluRay because that is the most titles available to me by BlockBuster. But if you asked me which system I like better it would be HD DVD due to the superior features offered. I happen to be one who watches the movie with director's comments on and like how some HD DVD movies offer it as a popup during the movie normal viewing. I also like the PIP and the option ot trying out several sound flavors.

So if we take a movie that is released on both HD DVD and BluRay, and me having both players, I would select the HD DVD version due to superior technology offered. I hope that made sense.

Makes perfect sense. Me, on the other hand, being someone who rarely does anything but watch the movie, would buy Blu-Ray in the same situation, because 1. I like my BD player better and 2. They're usually cheaper.

That being said, if the HD-DVD version was cheaper, or I couldn't find the BD version for whatever reason, I would have no problem buying the HD-DVD.

This is a great thread with little of the usual drivel (yet).

I jumped on the $100 HD-A3 BB deal and have really enjoyed watching not just the few HD-DVD's through blockbuster online, but also my regular DVDs as I did not have an up-converting DVD player previously. For $100 it wasn't a huge risk if HD-DVD doesn't pan out. My suspicion is that neither format will win in the next 2 years and they it is VERY likely hybrid players will arrive with reasonable pricing in 24 months that will make this "war" a moot point and besides with a 622 and 722 both on Ethernet, who knows what 24 months will bring for HD delivered via DISH online.

I have an Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD attachment, as well as a Playstation3 that I bought for the purpose of bluray (although I play games on it too a little bit but prefer Xbox for games).

I also have a Toshiba HD-DVD stand alone player on the way from Amazon.

I have to say that I enjoy both formats and see room for both for many years. If the price is right, I think most people are open for owning two players.

I love walking down the Next Gen DVD aisle at Best Buy knowing I can view any movie in either format I choose. Neither format is crappy as either side would have you believe about the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)