BluRay outselling HD-DVD since release?

Yeah, but those tapes are expensive compared to HD-DVD and Bluray medium. $60 a piece for the tapes.

VIPERS-PIT said:
Sorry Joe but I use this
http://www.iomega.com/direct/produc...&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=63191&bmUID=1156387432537

70 gigs of uncompressed random access backup. Compression up to 140 gigs. And I don't have to worry about scratches.

The only good thing is random access, like in the case of a hard drive.
However it's crazy expensive yet small capacity. From *half* of that money you can buy LTO drive and keep archiving at 20MB/s to 100/200GB tapes $12 apiece - see my posts in the other topic. :cool:

Just a thought but I dont know of many people who would need to store that much data. Even if your going to backup something you can find a flash drive that will hold it. And they arnt going to use bluray to do it. I know if im going to spend that kind of money i would much rather watch a high def video than use that technology to put crap on a disk.

jgags6 said:
Just a thought but I dont know of many people who would need to store that much data. Even if your going to backup something you can find a flash drive that will hold it. And they arnt going to use bluray to do it. I know if im going to spend that kind of money i would much rather watch a high def video than use that technology to put crap on a disk.

Unfortunately, that is shortsighted. 5 years ago people were saying the same thing about archiving to a DVD. The fact of the matter is that applications keep growing and the data associated also keeps growing. The typical PC these days has a 100 GB HD, and it needs backup.

Norton Ghost and other backup programs tend to be non-discriminatory and back up both data and program space. Not smart, but convenient. Even if you set up exclusions and go back to just storing your data, it is still growing. Back in the dark ages, we tended to store text. Five years ago, we were moving to storing drawings and pictures. We seem to be moving toward storing complex renderings and video data as part of the engineering and business process. I just checked and the "My Documents" folder is currently sitting at 15 GB. A DVD is hopeless.

We will need the increased storage. My earlier point still stands that we tend to need the Read Only first, though. We have already hit the point where complex applications, and especially games now need more than a single DVD for distribution.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)