Bluray Strikes Back!!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Both Fox and MGM com out swinging -- they announce 29 BD releases for the FALL including the first BD TV hit Prision!

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Well, well, now if the BD hardware guys can get their prices down under $400 we will definately have ourselves a nice little format war!!:)

Both Fox and MGM com out swinging -- they announce 29 BD releases for the FALL including the first BD TV hit Prision!

29 Releases, but only 6 are day & date BD/DVD new releases? :confused:

But, I thought you've always said it was going to be the "Blockbuster Day & Date New releases" that was going to turn the tide in favor of Blu-ray?

Hey, I'm glad I have my PS3, I'll be picking up Robocop (hopefully they finally get it right this time), Independence Day & Ronin. But they're a day late & a dollar short on Mr. & Mrs. Smith - I got tired of waiting for Fox to come out of retirement and ordered the European HD DVD release. :(

But I'm even happier I have my HD DVD for some Transformers and Shrek! :)

And since Vurbano seems to like it so much, I'll have to give Gladiator a try. :p

It's not a real war unless titles are released in BOTH formats, then the best format will win. The rest is just a consumer rip off, because the consumer is guaranteed to lose.............................. :(

From the press release:
Master and Commander - 10/2 (U.S. release) - October (International)
The Day After Tomorrow - 10/2 (U.S. release) - November (International)
From Hell - 10/9 (U.S. release) - October (International)
The Fly (1986) - 10/9 (U.S. release) - Q1 2008 (International)
Edward Scissorhands - 10/9 (U.S. release) - November (International)
28 Days Later - 10/9 (U.S. release) - North America Only
RoboCop (MGM) - 10/9 (U.S. release) - December (International)
Amityville Horror (1979 - MGM) - 10/2 (U.S. release) - North America Only
Battle of Britain (MGM) - 11/6 (U.S. release) - Q1 2008 (International)
A Bridge Too Far (MGM) - 11/6 (U.S. release) - Q1 2008 (International)
I, Robot - 11/13 (U.S. release) - Q1 2008 (International)
Die Hard - November (U.S. release) - November (International)
Die Hard 2: Die Harder - November (U.S. release) - November (International)
Die Hard with a Vengeance - November (U.S. release) - November (International)
Red Dawn (MGM) - November (U.S. release) - Q1 2008 (International)
Mr. and Mrs. Smith - 12/4 (U.S. release) - December (International)
Independence Day - 12/4 (U.S. release) - December (International)
Cast Away - 12/4 (U.S. release) - North America Only
Ronin (MGM) - 12/4 (U.S. release) - December (International)
I,Robot, Die Hard and Ronin - those would be nice to have (the rest I wouldn't buy in any format).

Diogen.

Not even the Battle of Britain?

...And since Vurbano seems to like it so much, I'll have to give Gladiator a try. :p

Well, I just looked at the trailer, and I'd rent it, given the chance. Maybe it'll come on PPV.

It's not a real war unless titles are released in BOTH formats, then the best format will win. The rest is just a consumer rip off, because the consumer is guaranteed to lose.............................. :(

I couldn't agree more.

Now this supposed news on Fox and MGM is a joke. Two studios who have exclusively supported BR restate this and it is news :confused:

Well, I just looked at the trailer, and I'd rent it, given the chance. Maybe it'll come on PPV.

Good movie, but I have no confidence in Fox releasing their catalog titles. I'm still waiting for "Dances With Wolves" and other first releases that were cancelled.

S~

...I'm still waiting for "Dances With Wolves" and other first releases that were cancelled.
It was just shown on HDNET (BEV Canada, Director's Cut, 236 min, 13.5Mbps ABR, 25GB total, 720p, DD 5.1, OAR). Very clean transfer. Compresses nicely into 8GB (DL DVD).

Two studios who have exclusively supported BR restate this and it is news...
Considering Fox's history of announcements and cancellations, I would be surprised if half of them make it to the shelf on time... and in the announced format... :)

Diogen.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Well, well, now if the BD hardware guys can get their prices down under $400 we will definately have ourselves a nice little format war!!:)

Come out swingin' - now that's funny. They're hittin like little girls.

Point-blank statement by Talkstr8t from AVS
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread III: ONLY Questions to Insiders
Because if there isn't enough protection to satisfy the studio you don't get their content.
makes this latest Fox announcement very interesting, I believe.
If BD+ is hacked (as many believe) Fox would have to either become less pissy
about their movies being copied or.... cancel its plan to release them... again.
At least for 90 days.

Will be interesting to watch. :)

Diogen.

Yawn.... THAT'S supposed to scare me?

You've got Prision? Is that Prison Break?

We've got Heroes..... and Battlestar Galactica....

I think that slam dunk win just clanked off the rim.....

Point-blank statement by Talkstr8t from AVS

Because if there isn't enough protection to satisfy the studio you don't get their content.

That's the strategy Fox tried last time with Divix. Didn't work too well. :rolleyes:

diogen said:
makes this latest Fox announcement very interesting, I believe.
If BD+ is hacked (as many believe) Fox would have to either become less pissy
about their movies being copied or.... cancel its plan to release them... again.
At least for 90 days.

Will be interesting to watch. :)

Diogen.

This is Fox's last chance for me. All the titles they promised at CES led me to add a PS3 to my XA1 in the home theater. And weeks after I bought the PS3, they pulled every promised release! :mad:

Besides Fox, I have a few Lionsgate, a couple of Sony, and one Disney title (Deja Vu). If Fox pulls their crap again for any reason and yank releasing on BD, I'm done with Blu-ray - the PS3 & BD collection are off to eBay, and I'm sticking with just HD DVD. :up

Yeah, but at $220 for a season, I don't think they'll be moving too many of those......

$220 buys an entire SERIES RUN of most shows....

I was extremely PO'd to have to pay $80 for one season of The Sopranos on DVD, thought it was an extreme rip-off. But, I was visiting good friends down in Central America and that was what they asked for when I asked them if there was anything I could bring them. :eek:

But, having said that, Paramount has a copy of Star Trek TOS Season One to me. :hungry:

'Course I'll shop around for the best deal, but I love that show, and it's completely re-worked for special effects, interactive features, in addition to HD.

I really didn't see this as a 'strikes back' kind of play, but more of a 'here's what we still have' kind of announcement. It's not like Fox and MGM said 'oh crap, we better put out 10 more titles to make it 29 total!

No addition, just some positive press to have out there to counter the articles detailing the gains that HDDVD made.

So, do you think Fox will really release From Hell this time around? Wasn't that title already bumped several times from 2006?

Hopefully they re-encode Robocop. That would be a nice one. I'll pass if its the same POC that was reviewed last year.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts