Brand New Guy Here with Questions about C41W and Slingbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DFWDave

Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
DFW
I'm new, so first off, let me say reading through other posts I appreciate the knowledge you guys have about stuff I have no clue about! That being said, I probably have a dumb question about the new C41W and Slingbox 500.

I'm getting Direct Tv installed next month, and they have given me the option to pay the extra $99 and get the new C41W installed instead of the wired C41, my first question is, would you guys do that? I'm worried it's still so new that there are going to be lots of problems.

I also have a Slingbox 500, does a C41 or the C41W work with the Slingbox 500? I keep my Slingbox in a bedroom so we can watch our living room television, and if I'm in the garage working out or something I can have the tv streaming to my Ipad. I've read that the C41's only have a HDMI so I would also need a cable to plug in to the 10 pin, correct?

I hope that makes sense, thanks guys for your help! I look forward to posting more, and gaining some knowledge listening to you guys.

:welcome to Satelliteguys DFWDave!

I would go wired if possible, but for me that's true with any device. The Slingbox should work fine, others with more experience with one will chime in!

Slingbox will work fine as long as you get the 10 pin cable for either component or rca output. I used a sling box on a C31 for a while and had no issues.
You would not be able to use the HDMI to the sling box.

Personally unless you plan to move the receiver around I would not spend $100 for the wireless option. If you think there will be times you want to move it from room to room - that is a nice option.

Thanks for the answers! It sounds like I'll save my 99 bucks and keep the wired. Another stupid question, will the wires run directly from the Genie to the Minis or can the installer use existing outlets?

If they are direct runs from the Genie to the mini, then yes. If there are any splitters, then no.

I have two slingboxes and one of them is connected to the C41 client. Some newer TV's connected using HDMI won't allow sharing the component signal with a slingbox (or another tv for that matter). I ran into that problem when I replaced a tv that was being shared with a slingbox. I relocated the slingbox to a client connected to an older tv and the problem was solved. There are products available that will allow you to share your HDMI output with multiple devices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts