Break in log jam against internet TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Sony manages to sign up Viacom channels for an internet based video service: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AlKlT9IRYr_Satc5uDaqTkw&bvm=bv.50768961,d.aWc

The link could be pay walled...

Sony Corp. has reached a preliminary agreement with Viacom Inc. to carry the media company's cable channels on its planned Internet-based TV service, a person familiar with the matter said, a significant boost for the Japanese company as it races to secure content rights against technology firms vying to offer similar services.

Sony plans to stream traditional cable channels as well as on-demand content over the Internet, posing new competition for cable, satellite and phone companies which have long sold subscription TV services.

A Sony deal with Viacom, owner of MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central, would be the first major content deal for one of the new entrants to become public.

I wonder if the channels will be bundled or if you could sub to individual channels?

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...e-tv-deal-first-of-its-kind-but-not-the-last/ -- Another article on it from the WSJ...

As the Sony service would be casting the content in sync with the other carriers, this may not be as earth shattering as many have assumed. Few of the benefits and most of the drawbacks of IPTV.

We'll see. I suspect they are pushing too fast- people will quickly become disappointed with FAPs, speed limits, etc.

The article says that a la carte is the goal, it will be interesting to see how it works out. If you subscribe to cable for just a couple channels, IPTV streaming might be far better for you.

The article says that a la carte is the goal, it will be interesting to see how it works out. If you subscribe to cable for just a couple channels, IPTV streaming might be far better for you.

I still think without harsh government intervention a lot of people are going to be disappointed about what is going to be considered Ala Carte. What I see is that Ala Carte will not become about choosing indvidual channels but about the content owners themselves. Meaning you'll have the ability to choose News Corp over Viacom channels or get both rather than the ability to not pay for Nickolodeon to get SpikeTV. Also these companies are not going to willingly let go of these channels that that bring in ad revenue while they keep the overhead down by programming reruns from their own video libraries.

Worst part is if several different providers only can offer certain channels it will be a nightmare...sign up with one company for Nick, Spike, Cartoon Network...sign up with another for Showtime and Movie channel etc..that could end up costing an easy $100 a month to get what you want...I've said all along anyway you look at it the content providers aren't going to lose a dime no matter if it's 250 channels or 10 ala Carte channels. If there's all these various players Sony, Intel, and whoever else in this game trying to sign the big networks etc...somebody is going to win if they can get the content but a lot of them are going to lose. Give me 10 channels I want reasonably priced and I'm on board

Worst part is if several different providers only can offer certain channels it will be a nightmare...sign up with one company for Nick, Spike, Cartoon Network...sign up with another for Showtime and Movie channel etc..that could end up costing an easy $100 a month to get what you want...I've said all along anyway you look at it the content providers aren't going to lose a dime no matter if it's 250 channels or 10 ala Carte channels. If there's all these various players Sony, Intel, and whoever else in this game trying to sign the big networks etc...somebody is going to win if they can get the content but a lot of them are going to lose. Give me 10 channels I want reasonably priced and I'm on board

Well, I think that part will sort itself out fairly quickly. When DirecTV launched you were buying normal cable, premiums and distant locals from three different companies. Didn't last more than 2 years before the consolidation hit. Pretty much the same with C band where individual subscriptions quickly became bundled packages. Grqanted there were more choices for awhile, but not true ala-carte.

I believe what you will see is a new or existing player emerge with a basic cable package very similar to what exists. It is quite likely that it will be TWC or Comcast with the promise that their IP package will be free of data caps when used on their system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)