Breaking DirecTV News:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
herdfan said:
Any word on what deals would be given to current OWNERS of HR10-250's? I would hope they have discussed this and have formulated a plan.:eek:

And we know lots of things CSR's don't know.;)

ya such as......common sence, intelligence, how this stuff works in reality, ect... and the list keeps growing

asousa said:
if you buy from robert, you could probably call retention and get a credit if you own the HR10-250. Someone in the know could correct me..

You are correct again as usual. However, every customer's account value and every retention rep's attitude will effect any credit you may receive.

-Robert

If I sign up on the VE waiting list, is this a firm/binding commitment to buy? Or will I be able to decline to purchase once the release occurs? Thanks.

Gator5000e said:
If I sign up on the VE waiting list, is this a firm/binding commitment to buy? Or will I be able to decline to purchase once the release occurs? Thanks.
This is what I am waiting to find out as well, before getting in line...

Jimbo

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
For most folks we delivered much faster than any retailer. In fact, we beat ALL retailers by more than three weeks with our first allocation.

This time I am 100% sure I will be able to deliver ALL advance orders on or before any other dealer..
Not as I recall. I may be wrong, but Solid Signal got me mine about a week and a half after your first allocation went out. IIRC your first shipment went out on or around 4/21 and I had mine from SS on 5/1 and BB by 5/6. You were first, there is no denying it, but SS and BB were close behind with their first shipments. VE shipped their second allocation on 4/30 which is the same ship date as mine from SS. Sorry, but 9 days is NOT three weeks.

I wish you luck, but that is one hell of a promise.

Edit: Confirmed shipping dates from here:http://archive2.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=169031&highlight=self+serving+thread and here: http://archive2.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=1914837&&#post1914837

Last edited:
charper1 said:
2010 is the final year and I think it will become open to all distributors, like all the other season tickets are.

If that happens the party is over D*!!

Now I know what the $299.00 is for. To save up and throw a whole lot of money to the NFL to keep NFLST exclusively.

I doubt that, by summer/fall 2007 should usher in the few things haters are saying they don't do now; AND STILL have the NFL ST for 3 more years.

I sure as heck hope that for $299 I own the device.

Think of cellphones. Yes, we spend big money on phones, heck I bought a phone for $499, but...I OWN IT. Yes I have to sign a contract, but, you own the device. I can take my GSM phone that I paid $499 for and sell it the day after I buy it, and go to a different device. T-Mobile, Cingular, Sprint/Nextel, Verizon, etc etc care more about subs not equipment.

herdfan said:
Not as I recall. I may be wrong, but Solid Signal got me mine about a week and a half after your first allocation went out. IIRC your first shipment went out on or around 4/21 and I had mine from SS on 5/1 and BB by 5/6. You were first, there is no denying it, but SS and BB were close behind with their first shipments. VE shipped their second allocation on 4/30 which is the same ship date as mine from SS. Sorry, but 9 days is NOT three weeks.

I wish you luck, but that is one hell of a promise.

Edit: Confirmed shipping dates from here:http://archive2.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=169031&highlight=self+serving+thread and here: http://archive2.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=1914837&&#post1914837
I don't think it's good form to bash Robert here. VE and Robert have always had high marks on these forums from their customers. I highly doubt the demand for the HR20 will be anywhere near the demand of Tivo. To split hairs about something that happened in 2004 is hardly an argument worth fighting. If I were to fork out $299 to lease the product VE is where I'd go. I, personally, will wait until better deals can be had (don't care about being the first on the block...). As a long term Sat and Forum guy, and as a VE customer...Robert and VE can be trusted 100%!

Jimbos said:
This is what I am waiting to find out as well, before getting in line...

Jimbo

We are scheduled to receive and ship out our first allocation on 9-18-06. As long as you cancel before we ship it will be no problem.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
We are scheduled to receive and ship out our first allocation on 9-18-06. As long as you cancel before we ship it will be no problem.

-Robert
Thanks Robert,
I just wanted to be sure we were not stuck, should other things come up that we need to deal with, more important than TV.

Jimbo

herdfan, thanks for your correction.

Here's the facts. We actually shipped our first large allocation on 4-20-04, but tracking #'s came out on 4-21-06. We were the very first dealer shipping. It is true that a very few other dealers received very very few HR10-250 about 2 weeks after we began shipping large quantities and after we began shipping our second large allocation, but they were literally a handful of units that other dealers received.

The facts are that we receive weekly shipments of about 200 units per week. No dealer got anywhere near the quantity we received and we began shipping two weeks before any dealer in the US. Sorry I forgot about the few pieces that were released to a few dealers. Serious distribution was exclusively available through my company. Even BB and CC did not ship or sell as many HR10-250's as I did.

Technically speaking I accept your criticism, but I still claim we beat ALL retailers by a full three weeks with any meaningful quantity and VE and only VE continued to do so every week.

BTW, we were also the first company to ship the first allocations of series 2 DIRECTV DVR's and HD DVD players.

-Robert

Last edited:
This is the best news around D* since the HR10. I put my order in Monday and cant wait till the middle of September.

I also dont understand the fear of leasing. For those business majors, here is a little analysis. Lets say you plan on keeping the unit for 2 years (so the 2 year committment is no big deal). The unit to lease costs you $300. The monthly lease fee is irrelevant since its your 2nd or 3rd box. If you purchase the unit today it costs $750. Lets say the going price on ebay 2 years down the road is $300. Counting for inflation of 3% per annum compounded monthly, thats a today dollar amount of $282.55. So you pay $750 recover $282.55 so you are out $467.45 versus the lease method of $300 for a difference of $167.45.

So as you can see, the only way you will not be out going with the lease deal is to find a unit purchased at less then $750 or hope the ebay price is higher then $300. However, I highly doubt you will get much for the unit in 2 years as D* will problably hand these things out like candy starting next year.

Of course you can always get the unit for cheaper dealing with the CSR's and retention reps but who else remembers getting a brand NEW HD technology for $300 and no haggling?

Does any cable company besides mine give their HD-DVR for free? I have Armstrong cable and they don't charge anything for their DVR or for that matter even the cable modem is free.

ramy said:
Does any cable company besides mine give their HD-DVR for free? I have Armstrong cable and they don't charge anything for their DVR or for that matter even the cable modem is free.

The cost has to be embedded somewhere. Whats your total monthly bill?

charper1 said:
2010 is the final year and I think it will become open to all distributors, like all the other season tickets are.

history shows us with the NFL that they only stick with one company...I don't think this will change in 2010. What provider they go to, that is a different story.

Yes I get a kick out of the "free" DVR. Trust me Cable Co. are recooparative their cost in your monthly bill. I know Cox in Tulsa "gives" the DVR to you but charges an extra $10 per month on top of the $5.99 DVR access fee.

I can confirm directly from an NFL source that NFL Sunday Ticket will be available to all cable companies who want the package at the start of the next NFL season (not this season coming up in two weeks but the next). This is per the NFL contract with DirecTV. Its a DirecTV only exclusive until the end of 2006. I'm talking the year 2006 not the 2006 season. Starting in 2007 it will be a satellite only exclusive to DirecTV so that means that Dish Network and any new satellite company cannot offer this package until 2010. But between the years of 2007 and 2010 all cable companies can offer the package if they want. They will work the deal with the NFL and from that point forward no single company will have an exclusive contract. Please keep in mind this is coming directly from a contact at the NFL who was part of working the deal with DirecTV and this information is in the press release DirecTV made too if you know what to pay attention to. Now also keep in mind that each cable company must still work a deal with the NFL so if say Time Warner Cable refuses to work the deal with the NFL you won't be seeing it. So I'll sum this up for you all below.

All TV companies except Dish Network and/or a new "satellite" TV company will get access to NFL Sunday Ticket at the end of this year. This means Comcast for example can spend from 1-1-07 until the start of the NFL Season to work their deal out for NFL Sunday Ticket carriage.

On 1-1-10 Dish Network along with any new "satellite" TV company can get access to NFL Sunday Ticket.

DirecTV has exclusive multichannel TV rights until the end of 2006 from what I've been told and they also have exclusive satellite TV rights until the end of 2009. Exclusive multichannel TV rights mean all other companies cannot get access to this package except DirecTV. Exclusive satellite TV rights means that all other satellite companies except DirecTV cannot get access to this package. As Comcast and every other cable company aren't satellite companies they can get access to NFL Sunday ticket at the point the satellite TV exclusive kicks in because that also means the multichannel TV rights have expired.

LonghornXP said:
All TV companies except Dish Network and/or a new "satellite" TV company will get access to NFL Sunday Ticket at the end of this year. This means Comcast for example can spend from 1-1-07 until the start of the NFL Season to work their deal out for NFL Sunday Ticket carriage.

Well then that gives comcast 5 months to come up with a new excuse as to why they wont offer Comcast sportsnet Philly to D*

Also while I beleive what your saying and your past info has always been good. I just reread the press release and I'm not reading into the "this information is in the press release DirecTV made too if you know what to pay attention to." I'm not seeing anything in it that would even hint that it was a Sat exclusive.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.