Breaking News: Browns Trade Braylon Edwards to the Jets!!!

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
My, that escalated quickly.

Adam Schefter has just reported on ESPN’s Mike and Mike in the Morning that Braylon Edwards has been traded to the New York Jets for undisclosed compensation. You can bet that it wasn’t the “first- and third-round pick” minimum that the Browns were looking for just a few months back.

Mark Sanchez and Braylon are paired together after all. More as it develops.

(Update: Fox’s Jay Glazer reports that the Browns will receive two draft picks, WR Chansi Stucky and LB Jason Trusnick. Add two more to the total of ex-Jets that are now Browns. ESPN’s Chris Mortenses reports that Edwards was in fact the man behind many of the complaints and grievances that hit the news over the last few weeks.)

Breaking News: Braylon Edwards Traded to Jets | WaitingForNextYear

Or the fact he was trying to beat up a 130 pound friend of LaBron :p

Yep. He picked the wrong dude in this city to mess with.

Rule of thumb to any future athletes in Cleveland: Don't mess with the KING!!!

..... more thoughts on the Braylon trade in a few.

Wow. I'm one of the few Clevelanders that still liked Braylon. No doubt he had to go, though....

A Special Comment: Thoughts on the Braylon Trade by HD MM

Let it be known Braylon Edwards is a tremendous talent. Top 5 receiver talent if not for the mental lapses. Unfortunately, his time in Cleveland will most likely be remembered by the what he never marginalized into as a professional. So much potential in such a physically gifted body. At times he flashed signs of greatness, yet other times he lacked concentration and tough will.

Braylon was drafted 3rd overall by the Browns in 2005 from the University of Michigan. He's been the unfortunate victim of multiple regime changes and QB controversies. I could understand how frustration could set in. But Braylon seemed to let it get the best of him.

In his 4.25 years as a Brown, Braylon had 1 standout year. In 2007, he had 1,289 yards and 16 TD's. The other years, he has been harshly criticized for dropping easy passes. He led the league in drops in 2008. Some local fans even dubbed him: "Stone Hands".

Braylon has noted multiple times that he doesn't think he was ever given a fair shake from the fans because he plays in a town full of anti-UofM fans (ie. Buckeye country). While I don't think that is entirely true, he has been the scapegoat for a many Browns losses and missed opportunities, partially because he has been the one constant for 4 years on a team with high turnover.

The latest regime change and recent QB switch appeared to be the tipping point for Braylon. When asked his opinion after the Brady Quinn benching, Braylon had this to say...

"Something I've dealt with for five years and that's something I'm not even worried about anymore. I signed a five year deal, so."

Those comments seemed to signal he already had 1 foot out the door. This type of mentality or attitude can be cancerous to a team trying to rebuild.

In Braylon's last game as a Cleveland Brown, he dropped the first pass thrown to him which hit him right in the numbers. The fans booed. Derek Anderson didn't look his way the remainder of the game. Instead, DA went to the rookie out of Georgia, Mohamed Massaquoi (Mo-Mass for short). Mo-Mass ended up with 8 receptions for 148 yards. Braylon was held without a catch for the first time in his career. Towards the end of the game he got in a skirmish with a Bengal Offensive Tackle. Both players were flagged with unsportsmanlike penalties. Braylon's frustrations were evident. Then there was the incident following the game at a Nightclub involving an altercation with a friend of LeBron. This seemed to be the last straw.

The mythical bridge has been burnt. This trade is probably best for both partners. I just wish it could've worked out better. I wish Braylon luck in New York.

Hopefully this will work out as well for the Jets as Mangini's last trade with them has so far...basically Mark Sanchez to the Jets for QB Josh Freeman and a second rounder. ;)

Sandra

Hopefully this will work out as well for the Jets as Mangini's last trade with them has so far...basically Mark Sanchez to the Jets for QB Josh Freeman and a second rounder. ;)

Sandra

Correction. The Jets sent the Browns their first and second round picks in the 2009 draft along with Abram Elam, Brett Ratliff, and Kenyon Coleman. At the time, I thought it was a wise move. Still do actually.

We ended up trading down a few more times in the first round and compiled more future picks. In the end, we got our franchise center, Alex Mack. That second rounder the Jets also traded to us? Our new #1 WR with plenty of promise.... Mohamed Massaquoi aka "Mo-Mass"!

Browns still need to release a player before the trade is complete since they're getting two in return.

I'd be pissed going from the hopeful and feisty Jets to the unanimous worst team in football right now.

Correction. The Jets sent the Browns their first and second round picks in the 2009 draft along with Abram Elam, Brett Ratliff, and Kenyon Coleman. At the time, I thought it was a wise move. Still do actually.

We ended up trading down a few more times in the first round and compiled more future picks. In the end, we got our franchise center, Alex Mack. That second rounder the Jets also traded to us? Our new #1 WR with plenty of promise.... Mohamed Massaquoi aka "Mo-Mass"!

Well, I know Mangini made lots of deals, but NFL.com says the Massaquoi selection was from the Buccaneers, not the Jets. It says the Browns drafted a defensive end, David Veikune, with the Jets' second round selection. Just saying...

Time will tell if it was a good trade or not.

Sandra

UPDATE FROM ADAM SCHEFTER: The 3rd-round pick the Jets gave up to Cleveland could turn into second-round pick if Edwards catches a certain number of passes this year. The exact number is undetermined.

Not sure how this will turn out, but you gotta give the Jets credit for trying. They're like the Steinbrenners of the NFL. They decide what they need and go after it.

They identified they needed a receiving threat, then flirted (unofficially of course) with Crabtree and Marshall, before winding up with Edwards.

They needed a guy who the defense needs to pay attention to, in order to get defenders out of the box a little more. Hopefully that will open up things for the running game.

We'll see how it works out, but I like the effort of management.

Sandra

This is good news in my opinion no matter what the compensation. Braylon has been nothing but a cancer on this team and in this city. Maybe now Robiskie will finally get a chance.

Browns still need to release a player before the trade is complete since they're getting two in return.

I'd be pissed going from the hopeful and feisty Jets to the unanimous worst team in football right now.

Apparently you're making assumptions before asking Chansi Stuckey himself.....

From his Twitter...

Ohio!!! Just landed and pumped to get started!

Chansi Stuckey (ChansiStuckey) on Twitter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts