Votes: 69 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • What is EPIX HD?

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wouldn't mine EPIX but not at the price Viacom is asking but more HD Channels would be great :)

lern4483 said:
I agree! Its excellent on Dish. I, as well, watch it from time to time.
It would be a welcome addition to Direc tv.

I agree. Never had much interest in it and I knew little about it but it's a great package of channels. 1-3

It would be a good addition IMO

Sent from my Rezound using SatelliteGuys

Yeah, how much were they asking for EPIX?

Yeah, how much were they asking for EPIX?
500 mil per year or for several years?

“However, as part of that offer, Viacom insists that we carry the Epix channel at an additional cost of more than half a billion dollars. We know our customers don’t want to pay such an extreme price for an extra channel, they simply want the ones they had returned to them.”

Last edited:
hedbert said:
But that is from 2009. Things change. And by the sounds of the deal DirecTv is paying for it anyway and has the option to make it available to us.

D is not paying for it. There is just an already agreed upon price in the deal if they wanted to add it in the future but at $500 million per year I don't see it happening.

I would welcome it though.

Agree, Directv wouldn't pay for something and not provide it at a cost to customers! They are a TV provider.

If they dropped money on EPIX we would have it! Now maybe when they Launch another satellite it maybe in the works, But rest assure Directv isn't paying for Epix.

I wonder what sort of price E* is paying for Epix? IIRC they were one of the launch providers. I wonder if this has more to do with Viacom not offering a similar deal? 500 million seems high--but I can't imagine it's THAT much in the grand scheme of things--probably $1 per subscriber per month. I don't know what the premium uptake is--but I would imagine the vast majority are paying $10 for HD (which is where E* has placed it), and for those who don't want the HD the premium prices vary from $12-8.

Seems like they could make money on it--and increase subscriber satisfaction while taking away another thing that E* has and D* doesn't.

--Nat

You can be sure that Viacom offered DTV the same offer that Dish has, and that DTV rejected it as being too high. I think it is worth about $3 a month tops. They could add it to the HD Extra package for $8 total.

Yea. Get one more movie channel that keeps repeating the same movies over and over again.

Things Dish Network has that Directv doesn't:
Epix
G4
Superstation Pack

Things Directv has that Dish doesn't:
*this list is too expansive and will overload the SatGuys server*

The superstation pack (in HD) would be a great add for Directv, bringing CW and MY into markets not currently served. My parents stay with Dish ONLY for this reason. They do watch Epix, too. I could use the $10 off from their referral!

Looks like D* has 1 year to carry Epix on pre-negotiated terms. After that, looks like both sides would have to negotiate for that channel again if D* really wants it. This is from Viacom's earnings call today.

Benjamin Swinburne - Morgan Stanley, Research Division

I wanted to ask 2 questions: maybe one on the Nick upfront and the other on EPIX. On EPIX, can you just sort of comment on the DIRECTV terms or at least what the EPIX situation? I think the announcement was that they have the option to carry EPIX. Maybe add a little more detail on whether you expect them to or not...

Philippe P. Dauman
Thanks, Ben. So starting with your EPIX questions. As far as the DIRECTV options, I have a 1-year option on pre-negotiated terms to take EPIX, and the decision will be their's over the next year. We obviously think that EPIX is a highly desirable service with great movies, but it really will be up to them...

Viacom Management Discusses Q3 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

The superstation pack (in HD) would be a great add for Directv, bringing CW and MY into markets not currently served.

Directv has already made it clear they have no intention of doing the "superstations" option. Directv does import a CW in some markets that have none. Usually its CW DC for E & Central time zone and I think CW San Diego for Mountain and west.
The thing with "My Network" along with no new programming is some markets just put the 2 hours on after Fox is done with primetime

Yes i would but not at the price Viacom is asking for it :)

Weren't they asking for an extra $500,000 for it on the package price? Isn't that about 3 cents per customer? The channel demographics popularity is extremely high among those who do have those channels. The EPIX channels often show movies several months before Starz, HBO, Cinemax or TMC. I had a free trial on the ROKU player and watched it a lot! :) Maybe the CEO can spare $500,000 from the tens of millions he is going to make this year in salary and stock options and give it to us peasants who continually have to beg or new HD channels or services that everyone else is adding.

jpd31 said:
The EPIX movies can be seen on Netflix.

Not everyone has or wants Netflix. If that is the argument why have any movie channels at all? Aren't a lot of those on Netflix?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts