Broadband Setup on th VIP 622

evergreenscott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 25, 2007
Does anyone understand what this is for?

Do we have Tivo like functions coming to VIP622?

Like programming your DVR from the internet?

Like websurfing or info for shows from the internet?

This is discussed in other threads quite a bit....

Currently, at most it will allow people who don't have a phone line connected to get around the $5/mo "penalty" for not connecting it. That in turn allows people to order PPVs through the receiver (vs over the phone).

It's possible it will be used for downloading shows, movies, etc, programming the DVR, and so on. No one really knows yet though.

They have talked about remote programming for your DVR from the internet in the tech forum. So I'm pretty sure that we will see that one happen.

I doubt that we will see web surfing anytime soon though.

I'm watching more movies via computer on Netflix's "Watch Now" plan than I ever watch on PPV. On Netflix you can watch as many free movies per month in hours as the dollar amount of your bill. ($10 per mo. = 10 hrs. free movies per month) I watch via computer and then output through my HDTV. The PQ and sound are great!

I read somewhere that this will require a static IP. Is that true? There is no way that I can get a static address from my service provider.

VOOM-original capability ever to arrive?

Remember Way back in the dark ages, when we had VOOM as a provider, and right before they went belly-up, they promised these really cool multi-room streaming DVR's, which I think DirecTV bought the rights/technology to?
Well...here we have Active Ethernet ports, and I have a house wired for VOOM receivers...any chance this will ever arrive on the 622 or 722?
:confused:

Let me jump in. Some HDTVs have additional connections, such as a VGA port. So, maybe he is connecting his computer to the TV with that.

Or, the TV may have a DVI port, and some computers support DVI.

In my case, I hooked my laptop once to my TV to see if it would work (using VGA), and it did.

Remember Way back in the dark ages, when we had VOOM as a provider, and right before they went belly-up, they promised these really cool multi-room streaming DVR's, which I think DirecTV bought the rights/technology to?
Well...here we have Active Ethernet ports, and I have a house wired for VOOM receivers...any chance this will ever arrive on the 622 or 722?
:confused:

Don't know about D* buying those rights, but I certainly hope we will see the whole house DVR functionality. Probably not anytime "soon."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts