Broadcasting via Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cascade said:
For the equipment it can range from $100 for an older HF transceiver or a mobile/handheld way up into the tens of thousands if you want all the bells and whistles.
Of course there's the antenna, the lower in frequency you go the longer the antenna gets but making your own is fairly easy if you have some wire and a lot of trees.

Where can I buy the equipment (once I'm licensed, of course)?

eBay!
You don't have to be licensed to own the radios as long as you don't transmit.
You'd do well to pick up a cheap HF/Shortwave receiver that does SSB and AM, there are some fascinating people out there if you know where to look :)

Cascade said:
eBay!
You don't have to be licensed to own the radios as long as you don't transmit.
You'd do well to pick up a cheap HF/Shortwave receiver that does SSB and AM, there are some fascinating people out there if you know where to look :)

Any particular brands/models to look for? Also, what should I look for in the way of a transmitter?

I'm studying for a license in my free time, and I hope to have one soon!

Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom are the big 3, they all do the same things, it depends on which bells and whistles you want to play with.
The Ten-Tec Jupiter is also a nice radio, if you're getting one, pick one up for me too :)

Cascade said:
Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom are the big 3, they all do the same things, it depends on which bells and whistles you want to play with.
The Ten-Tec Jupiter is also a nice radio, if you're getting one, pick one up for me too :)

Thanks for the help. I'll post when I get my license, but it might be a while since I'm a bit busy right now between school and the news show I run on our local access station.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)