Broke down and ordered a Fortec Merc II

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Finally broke down and ordered a blind scan receiver from one of the sponsers. Um GOsatellite. I didn't realize they was based out of canada. But for 89.99/Free S+H I just couldn't beat it. Also comes with serial cable and discq switch. That is good since after reading the board it seems they come out with tons of factory updates. Also looks like the AC3 out works on it. So I ordered a new Sterio Receiver that has 2 Firber inputs with coax. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

One strange thing is UPS says it is missing:

THE COMMERCIAL INVOICE IS MISSING AND IS REQUIRED FOR EXPORT / DELIVERY RESCHEDULED

Never saw that before. Must be since I live in the states. Hopefully I'll still get the receiver towards the end of next week. Before memorial day. So I can play with it.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Later,

Josh

Actually, I think GoSatellite is in Canada and California (US), maybe the home office is in Canada, not that it matters. Anyway, I don't have a Fortec Mercury II, but I have a Fortec Lifetime Classic NA and it's a great receiver. I've read that the Mercury II is even better, and have no reason to dispute that. So, Congratulations...!!

I really like my Merc II. My favorite feature is when I want to blind scan, I can take all of the satellites in the arc (or just the ones I want to scan) and it will scann each satellite, move the motor to the next satellite and scan and so on. I can walk away and when I come back all of the satellites have been scanned :)

We have stock in our Vancouver location for the Fortec Star Mercury 2, so it will be shipped from that location. If you have any questions about your order, you can PM me and I will follow up with the warehouse for you :)
Fortec does have a update for there receiver, and it is found on the manufactures site.
Here is the link
Download
Just select the model (its about 3/4 down the drop down menu)
Here is what the update does.
-Corrects problem saving changes made to a satellite's orbital position.
Note:You can do a Channel Backup from the Factory Reset menu before changing the receiver's software. This will prevent you from losing any channel data.

I also got my Fortec Merc II from GoSatellite

My Fortec Star Merc II also came from GoSatellite - - - same price.

Love the receiver (my first FTA). I also noted that it took some time for the receiver to get to me. All in all well worth the wait.

You will find that the "Power Scan" (blind scan) works very well indeed.

In washington

Well it is in washington now. To bad I didn't have the money sooner. But it should arive in the first part of next week I hope. I'm in lower part of idaho.

Thanks,

Josh

I love my Merc II with one exception. The meters are jumpy as heck. When I fine tune my dish I have to use my Viewsat. Other than that it's a great receiver.

Got my receiver today

Got my receiver wensday. would have had it tuesday. But I did not realize it required a signature. Go figure. ANyway I found a loose connector inside. Plugged it in. works like a champ. (I posted the loose connector in another thread). I was just a little ansy. Anyway. Now I'm blind scanning. I noticed some settings. Wonder what would be the best.

I have it set for detailed.
I have it set for 2 - amount of hops
I have it set for everything.
THen I used the defauly up and down fequency for scanning?

Can you guys help me fine tune it. I read before no need to cover the all upper
and lover fequency.

Thanks,

Josh

I would set the blindscan to NORMAL and the step freq to 6 ( the defaults) for most blindscans. If you think you might be missing something, then go "detailed" and the lower step freq of 4 , but mostly doing so will simply greatly increase your scanning time.
If you are searching for high Symbol Rate feeds ( which is mostly what I look for, being a sports nut ) , then you can use "QUICK" locking speed, and probably still catch all the SR=10000 and over, and get a faster scan.
Generally, the Merc II powerscans just fine , at it's default settings.
:)

We have stock in our Vancouver location for the Fortec Star Mercury 2, so it will be shipped from that location. If you have any questions about your order, you can PM me and I will follow up with the warehouse for you :)
Fortec does have a update for there receiver, and it is found on the manufactures site.
Here is the link
Download
Just select the model (its about 3/4 down the drop down menu)
Here is what the update does.
-Corrects problem saving changes made to a satellite's orbital position.
Note:You can do a Channel Backup from the Factory Reset menu before changing the receiver's software. This will prevent you from losing any channel data.

----

As a follow-up...
1) I was too late, it is currently out-of-stock at gosatellite.com, with no estimate from manufacturer.
(Note: the live rep will say it is in stock, but then when I asked about my already-placed order, it turns out it was not in stock, with no estimate when it will be back in stock.) For the price, I can wait a little while longer.

2) Will the new stock have the latest firmware? If not, the Warranty is void if the update wasn't installed by a Fortec trained technician. Ouch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)