BSC621-2 and SA D9850

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sweeper

Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I have a model BSC621-2 C/Ku LNBF that I am trying to use with a scientific atlanta D9850 receiver to downlink a C-band commercial satellite feed. I am having trouble acquiring AMC 3, and am wondering about polarity and the 22khz tone I see referred to in several DMS documents. The D9850 has an option to provide a 22khz tone, or not, and it also has the lnb power options "polarizer" 13v and 18v.

Will 13v make the lnbf receive vertical and 18v horizontal, or vice versa, or is the only option to use the polarizer option and hope it works? Also, what on the lnbf could be used as a reference for what polarity the feed is physically turned to? Lastly, will providing the 22khz tone select the Ku or the C feed?

the bsc621-2 is a universal lnbf using a diesqc switch to combine the c & ku feeds together so one coax can be run. its not friendly with 4dtv and i suspect this type receiver due to the switch. but if your looking for c band only then connect only one coax up to the c band side of the lnbf and no switch will be involved.
the receiver should be able to switch between V & H but you will probably have to setup and tell it you have a switching lnbf

that's, uh, not very useful...Like I said, the reciever can be set to 18v, 13v, and "polarizer". it can also emit a 22khz tone if desired. My question is how the BSC621 will respond to each of these, I'm trying to achieve horizontal polarity, c-band.

I also want to know how to orient the lnbf to the correct polarity, there's no obvious markings on the feed that will guide me to giving it the correct offset for my location.

He told you exactly what you need to know. You won't use the 22 Khz option IF you only hook the big lnb up to your reciever. 13v is one polarity, 18v is the other. I always forget which is H and which is V. Skew is found by trial and error. Really, for your use it won't matter, just hook the LNB up, set it to either 13 or 18 and skew it for best SQ. I am assuming that it is for fixed dish operation on one transponder, correct? Won't matter if you only need one polarity.

I bought one of those, but sold it before I installed it because I wanted a dual output LNB.

the bsc621-2 is a universal lnbf using a diesqc switch to combine the c & ku feeds
ok this means you can't use the lnbf unless you just try to get c-band on coax from c-band to receiver
it can also emit a 22khz tone if desired.
for a universal this tone changes lower & higher LO

H = 18 volts
V = 13 volts
when setting the skew you will have to place you location into ( and i took it this would be a stationary setup) Satellite Finder © Satellite AV

find the satellite from your location and skew clockwise is positive (+) counter clockwise is negative (-)

some of thes units (BSC621-2) have a small # scale on the top others have a triangle at the top
that sets the unit skew

hope this helps

recap of the facts

I'm trying to achieve horizontal polarity, c-band.

I also want to know how to orient the lnbf to the correct polarity, there's no obvious markings on the feed that will guide me to giving it the correct offset for my location.

The answers are listed above, but just to recap:
- connect your receiver to the C-band output marked: "RCV"
- set the receiver to 18 volts for Horizontal polarity
- since you're not receiving Ku band, the coax jumper is unused
- since you're not receiving Ku band, the 22khz tone is not applicable
- there is a triangle shown on the unit which can be either up or down for zero skew
- as mentioned above, your skew can be found by inputting local zip code and selecting the desired satellite
- AMC3 is not circular, so the dielectric slab is not used.

Do let us know how things worked out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)