Bsc621 C-ku-lnbf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
I was thinking of using a BSC621 C-KU-LNBF my a new 6 foot C band to get FTA signals. Will this work good? How does it work without a servo motor? :confused: Any special receiver needed? I was planning on getting a Fortec Star MERCURY II FTA receiver.

Most folks seem to report success on C-band.
Well, for most things... not the hard-to-get transponders, but that's due to the dish size.

Some seem to have trouble getting Ku aligned.
I'd stick to a 36" or 1m dish for Ku.

The Mercury II should be a fine choice.
You'd need a Gbox or Vbox to run the positioner motor on the dish, if it has one.
Do a little research to appreciate the difference - it goes well beyond just price.

Oh, or maybe this motor, if your dish isn't too big 'n heavy.
It incorporates the necessary mount as well as motor.

I was thinking of using a BSC621 C-KU-LNBF my a new 6 foot C band to get FTA signals. Will this work good? How does it work without a servo motor? :confused: Any special receiver needed? I was planning on getting a Fortec Star MERCURY II FTA receiver.

The polarity (H/V) switching is accomplished by the receiver outputting different voltages to the LNB, and yes, the MercII is capable of doing that with the BSC621.

Most folks seem to report success on C-band.
Well, for most things... not the hard-to-get transponders, but that's due to the dish size.

Some seem to have trouble getting Ku aligned.
I'd stick to a 36" or 1m dish for Ku.

The Mercury II should be a fine choice.
You'd need a Gbox or Vbox to run the positioner motor on the dish, if it has one.
Do a little research to appreciate the difference - it goes well beyond just price.

Oh, or maybe this motor, if your dish isn't too big 'n heavy.
It incorporates the necessary mount as well as motor.
Oh ok thanks. I think later I will get a Ku band only if I have trouble getting Ku on the 6 foot dish. I had a 7.5 mesh but the years took the toll on it and I tore it down. I was never able to get Ku on it very good. I think my pole was a bit out of plumb. My new pole will be as plumb as my Dish Network pole is. Hopefully I will have better luck with Ku on it.

The polarity (H/V) switching is accomplished by the receiver outputting different voltages to the LNB, and yes, the MercII is capable of doing that with the BSC621.

Oh cool. Thanks for the information. :)

I will be using this dish after I order it. Polar Mount Style FC6P 180CM Prime focus Satellite Dish FORTEC STAR I have a positioner already but it older. I'd rather have one that the receiver moves. The ones suggested sound like a winner. Thanks.

I'm not sure about those HH motors. I've never used one. Not even sure how it works. It looks cool though. :)

Which is better a Actuator or a HH Motor?

Oh ok thanks. I think later I will get a Ku band only if I have trouble getting Ku on the 6 foot dish. I had a 7.5 mesh but the years took the toll on it and I tore it down. I was never able to get Ku on it very good. I think my pole was a bit out of plumb. My new pole will be as plumb as my Dish Network pole is. Hopefully I will have better luck with Ku on it.

As I recall, and I could be wrong, I don't think you can get use a mesh dish for Ku band; the reason being is that the frequency of the wave is much higher than C Band. Since the frequency is higher the wave lengths are shorter and thus much of the wave will pass right thru the mesh in the dish. One needs a solid dish to reflect the waves back to the lnb.:rolleyes:

As I recall, and I could be wrong, I don't think you can get use a mesh dish for Ku band; the reason being is that the frequency of the wave is much higher than C Band. Since the frequency is higher the wave lengths are shorter and thus much of the wave will pass right thru the mesh in the dish. One needs a solid dish to reflect the waves back to the lnb.:rolleyes:
Well I did receive Ku band for a while so..... but then it suddenly stopped working. C band worked up until I tore it down. Ku band just needs to be aimed perfect I think. My new dish will be solid. Its easier to put together. Sliding the mesh into the other dish was a pain. lol

Both of the motors I mentioned above will need a Vbox or Gbox to connect them to the receiver.
This previous post may clear it up a little bit.
Be sure to check all the links - they are there to more fully explain the points.

The Fortec 6' dish will receive Ku band just fine.
However trying to get both bands on the BSC-621, may give you a bad case of gray hair! ;)
A far less stressful solution, would be to strap a nice Ku band LNB beside your C-band LNB, and just move the dish a few degrees for your Ku satellites.
If you choose that direction, it opens up other choices for the C-band LNB, such as dual-output, or bandstacked (both are C-only), if you like either.

edit
: I forgot to mention that you could use a prime-focus LNB, such as the one half way down this page.
If you are just experimenting, I'll wager whatever Ku LNB you have on hand will probably work well enough for you to get started.

Last edited:
Both of the motors I mentioned above will need a Vbox or Gbox to connect them to the receiver.
This previous post may clear it up a little bit.
Be sure to check all the links - they are there to more fully explain the points.

The Fortec 6' dish will receive Ku band just fine.
However trying to get both bands on the BSC-621, may give you a bad case of gray hair! ;)
A far less stressful solution, would be to strap a nice Ku band LNB beside your C-band LNB, and just move the dish a few degrees for your Ku satellites.
If you choose that direction, it opens up other choices for the C-band LNB, such as dual-output, or bandstacked (both are C-only), if you like either.

edit
: I forgot to mention that you could use a prime-focus LNB, such as the one half way down this page.
If you are just experimenting, I'll wager whatever Ku LNB you have on hand will probably work well enough for you to get started.
I think I like the latter option. What sorta bracket do I need to mount a Ku Lnbf next to one of the dual C band lnbfs?

This forum is full of all sorts of wonderful home-brew bracket ideas.
I've seen many unexpected items from the local hardware store, pressed into service to hold LNBs.
In particular, the conduit clamps at about $.70 each, are quite good.
How you grab the bracket, may be interesting.

If you are going to run the C-band LNB without the scalar, then strapping the Ku LNB onto the side of it should not pose much of a problem.
Maybe some spacers and tie wraps?

Iceberg has come up with many wood-block designs, often reinforced with duct tape. ;)

This thread shows how to grab an LNB by the neck and mount it on a Phase III dish, with a couple of those conduit brackets:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ofitting-phase-iii-ku-maybe-3.html#post883196
I'm sure you'll come up with something far more inspired. :)

edit: sorry, you should use the scalar, of course.
I was thinking about another thread where the user had a 1.2m dish.
Will play around with my camera and see if I can come up with some thing to think about.
In the mean while, what do you propose?

Last edited:
I had terrible results with the BSC-621 on KU. I have one laying in my shed gathering dust.
C-band part of it worked great. KU was awful.

If you are going with a prime focus dish like the motorized 6', get a corotor II feedhorn and use an analog C-band receiver to move the dish and control the feedhorn servo motor.
Use splitters to split the c and ku coax to your free to air receiver.

I do this and it works great after you get used to it.

This forum is full of all sorts of wonderful home-brew bracket ideas.
I've seen many unexpected items from the local hardware store, pressed into service to hold LNBs.
In particular, the conduit clamps at about $.70 each, are quite good.
How you grab the bracket, may be interesting.

If you are going to run the C-band LNB without the scalar, then strapping the Ku LNB onto the side of it should not pose much of a problem.
Maybe some spacers and tie wraps?

Iceberg has come up with many wood-block designs, often reinforced with duct tape. ;)

This thread shows how to grab an LNB by the neck and mount it on a Phase III dish, with a couple of those conduit brackets:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ofitting-phase-iii-ku-maybe-3.html#post883196
I'm sure you'll come up with something far more inspired. :)

edit: sorry, you should use the scalar, of course.
I was thinking about another thread where the user had a 1.2m dish.
Will play around with my camera and see if I can come up with some thing to think about.
In the mean while, what do you propose?

I will be using the Scalar. I think it would be needed for Prime focus dish. And on a Ku band only dish it doesn't need one. I think. :confused: I ordered the prime focus dish plus a receiver so far.. still deciding on the lnbf. I think I will use my old dish motor and positioner for now. I will update the postioner after I get everything working.

So I can just add a Ku lnb right beside a C band lnb? hmm... does anyone have a picture of this on their BUD? :)

Setting the skew properly is a concern, and if you don't have docs, well . . .
Here are pictures and words for both the CK-1 and BSC-621 LNBfs.

I don't know about your C2.
But, if you'll pull off the front cover and look down the throat...
Zero skew is with LNBf rotated where one of the probes is vertical and one is horizontal.
If you find that your Vert and Horiz are interchanged, then rotate the LNB 90º.
Yes, 90º will fix it.
You will still have one probe vertical and one horizontal. ;)

I finally just ordered the BSC621 and it works good for both C and Ku at least on my 6 foot dish.

congrats:

Glad to hear your Ku signal is fine on the 621.
I'd say 85 to 95% of people trying it report poor Ku performance.
Whether that's due to misalignment or bad manufacturing tolerances, we don't know.

I suspect a contributing factor is that Ku portion of the LNBF just sees the center of your dish (the F/D doesn't match a prime focus dish).
Something else that could lead to Ku-disappointment, is insufficient accuracy of motor movement on old C-band BUDs.

Show us a picture of what you wound up building. Both front 'n back.! - :up

Same set up I have, bought the kit from Sadoun then upgraded the LNBF with the
BSC621 for 4DTV. I am not getting quite the quality I had hoped for but considering it is a 6' dish I am getting the 4DTV stuff on 131, 133, 135 with decent quality and was told it really wouldn't work.
For the money I don't think you can beat that LNBF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts