BSC621 - I never get the easy stuff!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bill190

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
So I'm installing my new BSC621-2 C/Ku LNBF on my big dish....

Before installing my new LNBF, I'm careful to first point my dish at a satellite and get a signal using my old feedhorn/LNB. Works OK...

Then I install the new LNBF - make adjustments and use my signal meter to get the strongest reading, etc. Everything is looking good. Boy this new LNBF is going to be great!...

Then I hook up my receiver to Ku and nothing! Hummm...

Then I try C band and nothing! Hummm...

So I go to my computer and print the latest Lyngsat frequencies for a particular satellite. Then get out my GPS and make sure my dish is pointing to that satellite (using my handy dandy dish pointing program)...

Still nothing! Hummm, I KNOW this should work. I should get SOMETHING!

All right I'm desperate now! So I try analog C band (this always works to get something), but nothing! The picture sure looks clean for analog??? I try different channels and move my dish back and forth. Still nothing!

Arrrgggg!

It's getting dark, I'll quit for the day and try again tomorrow...

So this morning I get up, it's still dark, I guess I'll search the internet for BSC621 and read about this. (If all else fails, read the directions!)

Second web page I get to and there it is! It says connect Ku here -> Connect C here->

I had them backwards! I was trying to get C with the Ku and Ku with the C!

I think I might have better luck today. Note I frequently will do things like this. I'll understand the complex stuff, but not get the easy things.

I feel for ya man. I was tinkering with my bsc621 last night. The one thing that made me really upset from the get-go was that I ended up having to change out feedhorns (I'd read that it would fit in a corotor feedhorn, but it didn).

I get aimed with my legacy lnb setup, switch everything over, and nothing. This went on for quite some time trying various configurations until I accidentally set the lnb power to 18v - then everything worked! I turned everthing off, rebooted, and set the power back to 13/18, reset everything else and set the diseqc port correctly and it just started working. C-Band works fine (for no real reason that I can tell)

I still can't seem to get anything on KU though.. who knows what magical steps I will need to go through to get KU (if it's even possible with my mesh).

The worst part of experimenting with my bsc621 is that in order to reach the lnbf with the dish pointed at a sat (and not turned all the way west and looking straight at the neighbor's house) in order to tweak it, I have to stand on the top of my folding ladder (and I'm a heavy old guy with nothing to balance on). I feel like I might fall off and through the dish if I am not VERY careful.

Good luck!

OK, I just went outside and switched the C band frequency on the receiver to Ku and bingo! Got a Ku satellite and a couple of channels.

(I have everything outside for initial set-up and testing.)

Anyway that did the trick. Using the "Ku LNB" when trying to get Ku, etc.....:confused:

Don't have time now to try out the C, but I'm sure that will work better too...

I believe that there are TWO BSC-621 LNBs : one is the regular BSC-621 that would work with the 4DTV receiver, and the other is the BSC-621-2 that will NOT work with the 4DTV and used only for the C and Ku FTA tps.
What receiver are you using?
If you go to the FTA Manuals thread you will find the manual on this LNB.
I hope this will help yall.

I believe that there are TWO BSC-621 LNBs : one is the regular BSC-621 that would work with the 4DTV receiver, and the other is the BSC-621-2 that will NOT work with the 4DTV and used only for the C and Ku FTA tps.
What receiver are you using?

I have a Fortec Mercury II, but I am setting up everything outside using my old Satcruiser which also has analog and 36V for the positioner. I bought the BSC-621-2 LNBF.

I had time later today to test the C, and it works fine - digital and analog. Plus the analog was "snowy" when not receiving anything like it should be. (Yesterday when I mistakenly had it connected to the Ku LNB, the picture was quite clean.)

So everything is working fine now that I am connecting to the correct LNB's!:D

BTW I am just connecting a coax to just the C LNB or just the Ku LNB (not using both via one cable) for inital testing and adjusting. Keeping things simple.

I did test the built in DiSEqC switch on the C LNB and saw that with DiSEqC 1 set (Satcruiser terminology), it worked, but with DiSEqC 2 set, it did not work (with this setting it would be connecting through to the Ku LNB.)

I have not uaed my C band for years, I droped my direct tv and I'm trying to get the C band to work again. I found a 4Dtv and a bsc621 lnbf. Any help would be appreciated. Allso I pick up two Digiwave one 7200 and one 7200S,both have password in them ,the company sent me to a web sight to up grade,but how do you get the up grade into the receiver. null-modem cable is hook up ,do you need some program to send it to com one thanks

I have not uaed my C band for years, I droped my direct tv and I'm trying to get the C band to work again. I found a 4Dtv and a bsc621 lnbf. Any help would be appreciated. Allso I pick up two Digiwave one 7200 and one 7200S,both have password in them ,the company sent me to a web sight to up grade,but how do you get the up grade into the receiver. null-modem cable is hook up ,do you need some program to send it to com one thanks

Yes you need a loader to input the new firmware and it should be on the manufacturer website.

You should of started your own topic instead of digging up a really old one over a year old.

I had a strang problem

YOu know I had a strang problem too with stuff like that. At least with KU band. I have a newer dish and everything. So when I plugged the analog receiver into it. The ku picture was horrible. So I looped the ku analog through the digital (New receiver) and it worked great. Though I know I need to get a voltage terminator for the analog. Since I don't want to pass voltage from the analog receiver as well as the digital receiver.

I think there is two different types of voltages. I'm using the bullet lnb Ku band. Perhaps somebody can clear this up?
13/18volts for digital. Either that or I figure the voltage output on my analog toshiba is crapped out.

Would be nice to know if I ever get the 12ft dish up or whatever size it is. LOL So when I put the colorotor lnb on it. I get the proper power and receiver hooked up / terminated. I was looking at the analog receiver for power/moving the dish.

Thanks,

Josh

I recall reading somewhere that the focal lengths for c band and for Ku band are slightly different in this lnbf so you may have to do slight adjustment (front <->back) of the lnbf to get optimal reception of the different bands--Iceberg, Anole--is this correct or am I mistaken??
I bought this lnbf about 1 yr. ago to see what c band I could get on my 1.2 M offset dish (strike one, strike two) I was amazed on how many c band channels I could get --I had more diffulcty with Ku band and switched back to my usual Ku band lnbf.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
---

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)