Finding what Satellite I have the Dish presently

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

electronmini

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Now back in Texas
Hi, I am back to this forum after more than 15 years watching PBS on 125W with my dish ans Openbox9.
I moved from Ontario Canada and now in Austin Texas having a hard time getting to set up the disk now on the roof.
Got my dish aiming to close to 222, and 43.6 elevation and got a strong signal the seemed to my that was 117W.(blind scan).
This was based on the channels that show lyngsat compared to my blind scan.
Looking at DishPointer I compare Az (magnetic) and elevation with 117 and decided that needed to move the dish like this:
117W=211.4 Az and 48.6 elevation
125W=222.2 43.6 ------->> moved dish 5 degrees down (Harbor Freight indicator on Dish support)
and about 11 degrees clockwise (looking from the sky).
Well,I could not find any signal reasonable and started to move dish around the area until I got some strong signals, so I focused the dish on the strongest of a signal or two (done in two or three different locations) and get blind scans but cannot find and easy way to determine which satellite is the dish pointing on each finding. I used google trying to find which satellites contain for example the phrase: "Canal del Congreso" when I got 116W.
But when I try to find satellites by frequency for example 11792 H 20500 or using PID's number from scanned screen I am not getting anywhere.
I realize that now at 84 do not have the same capabilites that had 15 ago, but resist the idea of giving up and buying and expensive satellite finder. The one I have was $5 15 years ago and does do get signals.
Now the QUESTION: Does anyone have a suggestion on a alternative plan of action or how to determine what satellite I am looking at?

Something Weird happened this morning while using the Openbox 9 to write down info from the screen to try to find them on lyngsat DOT com:
even that all channels listed where labeled $ (scrambled) the screen started to show the channels perfectly and I am sure those where encrypted channels. I must done something with the remote without realizing. Any ideas?
UPDATE: just went to check those scrambled channels and they are now scrambled !!!!!

Hi, I am back to this forum after more than 15 years watching PBS on 125W with my dish ans Openbox9.
I moved from Ontario Canada and now in Austin Texas having a hard time getting to set up the disk now on the roof.
Got my dish aiming to close to 222, and 43.6 elevation and got a strong signal the seemed to my that was 117W.(blind scan).
This was based on the channels that show lyngsat compared to my blind scan.
Looking at DishPointer I compare Az (magnetic) and elevation with 117 and decided that needed to move the dish like this:
117W=211.4 Az and 48.6 elevation
125W=222.2 43.6 ------->> moved dish 5 degrees down (Harbor Freight indicator on Dish support)
and about 11 degrees clockwise (looking from the sky).
Well,I could not find any signal reasonable and started to move dish around the area until I got some strong signals, so I focused the dish on the strongest of a signal or two (done in two or three different locations) and get blind scans but cannot find and easy way to determine which satellite is the dish pointing on each finding. I used google trying to find which satellites contain for example the phrase: "Canal del Congreso" when I got 116W.
But when I try to find satellites by frequency for example 11792 H 20500 or using PID's number from scanned screen I am not getting anywhere.
I realize that now at 84 do not have the same capabilites that had 15 ago, but resist the idea of giving up and buying and expensive satellite finder. The one I have was $5 15 years ago and does do get signals.
Now the QUESTION: Does anyone have a suggestion on a alternative plan of action or how to determine what satellite I am looking at?

Something Weird happened this morning while using the Openbox 9 to write down info from the screen to try to find them on lyngsat DOT com:
even that all channels listed where labeled $ (scrambled) the screen started to show the channels perfectly and I am sure those where encrypted channels. I must done something with the remote without realizing. Any ideas?
UPDATE: just went to check those scrambled channels and they are now scrambled !!!!!
can you post a list of those channels that scan in, as well as the associated frequencies, polarity and SR? I'm think you're getting some Dish Network stuff, either from 119W or from 129W (or 121W if there's still anything there... not sure)

Reactions: electronmini
can you post a list of those channels that scan in, as well as the associated frequencies, polarity and SR? I'm think you're getting some Dish Network stuff, either from 119W or from 129W (or 121W if there's still anything there... not sure)
Thank you very much for your time andyour support, I in Word for pasted all lygsat files from 117W W to 129W so I could easily search for a frequency like 12453 V that sown on my recent scan for transponder 24/24 12463V as per pictures attached.
I have all those files as docx that is easy to search for text.
None of those from 117 to 129 found any:"12453" What am I doing wrong?
Is there any way of parameter to identify the satellite by looking as those files?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5430.JPG
    IMG_5430.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5431.JPG
    IMG_5431.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 123
Is your LNB really a 9750/10550? 9750/10600 is more common. If you have the wrong local oscillator frequency entered, the transponders will show up as the wrong frequency.

Based on the channel name scheme and the Nagra light being lit, you're on a Dish or Bell satellite.

Is your LNB really a 9750/10550? 9750/10600 is more common. If you have the wrong local oscillator frequency entered, the transponders will show up as the wrong frequency.

Based on the channel name scheme and the Nagra light being lit, you're on a Dish or Bell satellite.
Thanks Jim S. :
Rainy day here today and I cannot find where I wrote a week ago the specs for the LNB. I will look it up as soon as i feel it is safe for me at 83 to get on the roof and read specs again.
But it is Fortec Star dish ( Believe it is 39") and is the same LNB that I have used about 10-15 years ago here in Texas on the roof and was receiving well (But I cannot recall what I had used for at that time. I gave it up after I found PBS Austin KLRU FTA with just my rabbit years antenna to the flat screen digital TV). The BIG dish in my avatar is deceiving now, since I was using it for C band in Ontario-Canada until about 10 years ago. Just now back in Texas-Austin area.
Would it be a reasonable idea for me to enter a few transponders with frequencies closer to the PBS stronger transponder? Which by the way; where I can find where are those specs for the strongest transponder for AMC21? How to search for that info this forum? I am al little/plenty rusty on the forum probably because of age.
And I hope I am not hijacking this thread but occurred to me that if I could find a good book and FTA Satellite setting and usage will be best time spent to refresh what I probably knew 15 years ago. I need to regain definitions for all the abbreviations and parameters utilized in satellite parlance to avoid loading people with silly basic questions. Any suggestions for a good book or maybe a comprehensive thread somewhere?
Thank you very much for your time and patience, I always admired those that had the knowledge and attitude dedicating their time to help other.

The main PBS transponder IS the strongest transponder that has channels on it. I don't know if there are any data signals or such that are stronger.

(Keeping comments to this thread)
As noted by Jim S. the PBS transponder at 12180 V 30000 ia the strongest signal.
How are you aiming the dish? Can you take a small TV and your receiver (or a line out to the TV) out to the dish (or close by) where you can see the signals while moving the dish?

I just copy the LNB sticker and has this:
FORTEC STAR
UNIVERAL SINGLE LNBF FSKU-V
R.F.: 10.7 - 12.75 GHz
L,O.:9.75/10.60GHz
N.F.:0.3dB
S/N:5K201193s
Which numbers should I enter on the OPENBOX 9S?
I changed to 9,75 - 10.60 and keep getting the same scrambled channels on Blind scan

Thank you very much for your time andyour support, I in Word for pasted all lygsat files from 117W W to 129W so I could easily search for a frequency like 12453 V that sown on my recent scan for transponder 24/24 12463V as per pictures attached.
I have all those files as docx that is easy to search for text.
None of those from 117 to 129 found any:"12453" What am I doing wrong?
Is there any way of parameter to identify the satellite by looking as those files?
Thanks
Thanks for the info. I was not able to identify the one on the screenshot.

a few things...
- Now that we know that your LNBF setting was stilghly off, can you correct it to 9750/10600 and scan again?
- can you give more examples of channels that scan in, with the frequency, polarity and SR?
- particularly if there are other frequencies too
- I don't think that you are receiving one of the Canadian satellites as they would probably not cover down to Austin TX.
- when checking frequencies, just be aware that it's not uncommon to be a few MHz off compared to what's posted on Lyngsat or others, so an exact match is not required. But it should be close (I'd say +/-10 MHz).

Reactions: Keith Brannen
Thanks for the info. I was not able to identify the one on the screenshot.

a few things...
- Now that we know that your LNBF setting was stilghly off, can you correct it to 9750/10600 and scan again?
- can you give more examples of channels that scan in, with the frequency, polarity and SR?
- particularly if there are other frequencies too
- I don't think that you are receiving one of the Canadian satellites as they would probably not cover down to Austin TX.
- when checking frequencies, just be aware that it's not uncommon to be a few MHz off compared to what's posted on Lyngsat or others, so an exact match is not required. But it should be close (I'd say +/-10 MHz).
If corrected to 10600 from 10550 it would mean that 12453 would now be adjusted to/scan in as 12503, and suspect he is getting spot beam 21 on 110W, but need channels/transponders information to confirm. The only transponders from the Canadian satellites that would scan in are from F2 - 111.1W (G1 - 107.3W transponders won't scan in) and they are all in the normal Ku frequencies (11700-12200).

If corrected to 10600 from 10550 it would mean that 12453 would now be adjusted to/scan in as 12503, and suspect he is getting spot beam 21 on 110W, but need channels/transponders information to confirm. The only transponders from the Canadian satellites that would scan in are from F2 - 111.1W (G1 - 107.3W transponders won't scan in) and they are all in the normal Ku frequencies (11700-12200).
Thanks, I just corrected to 10600 and took note of transponder 23 parameters to compare with the blind scan I am running now.
Glad to learn that the frequencies would not match exactly, I was always under the wrong impression that it would march perfectly. That maybe explains to me why when I tried to identify a satellite using the scanned frequency and lyngsat listing nothing showed up.
Is it the any other parameter for a transponder or channel on a satellite that would show up exactly as listed by lyngsat?
My reasoning was that if I can exactly know what I am looking at; then by a listing of adjacent satellites using DishPointer I could easily interpolate what correction was necessary to move to the 125 AMC21.
How do you calculate youe example above from the change 10600 and old 10550?.
Is the change a lineal proportion in percentage from the oscillator changes from the 10550 to 10600?
I guess that another more costly way would be to spend BIG$$'s and buy one professional satellite finder above $100? I saw one in Aliexpress : "GTMEDIA V8 FINDER 2 Digital Satellite Finder Meter" p Under$60 plus shipping but I cannot figure out by the complex description if gives the satellite name or parameters. I would "assume" (bad word) that it does because gives you Az and elevation that could be quickly checked in lyngsat or a short listing.

(Keeping comments to this thread)
As noted by Jim S. the PBS transponder at 12180 V 30000 ia the strongest signal.
How are you aiming the dish? Can you take a small TV and your receiver (or a line out to the TV) out to the dish (or close by) where you can see the signals while moving the dish?
I am on a steep roof and shaking all the time since at 83 not the best behavior to be on the roof, but on the ground all my neighbors have huge trees.
The way I started was using the GPS compass for 222.2 and compare with a cheap magnetic compass. Ithink to remember that dishes had an "Offset: of either 12 or 23 degrees. SO i bought a Harbor freight "angle indicator with a magnet and positioned on the bacl of the dish support. With 0 degrees setting on the dish,the indicator read about 12, so to get the elevation for 125W 43.6 I added 43.6 + 23 sn set up to that.Moved around little by little (Az) until the Satellite finder found a signal and the optimized also elevation.
Run a blind scan and I got some channels (one was: Canal del Congreso). I checked Lynsat and concluded most probably I was on 107W. Read and wrote AZ on the pipe and HF angle indicatoe and looking at DishPointer results concluded that had to about 10 degrees clockwise (Az)and 4 down for elevation. Then try to poke around for 5 days and getting now really lost because i lost all references and just poking around with the signal meter on the approx. elevations for 127W I get a very strong signal with several transponder and like 50 channels all encrypted. I believe it is 119W at this point but unable to confirm.
I did this so easily many times when I was in Ontario-Canada in the woods, seems that age is taking its toll.LOL
It was very finiqui then in Canada because was very low in the horizon. Should be a piece of cake here in Texas with 43.6 elevation, but I cannot figure it out. But never, never give up, I will find out what I am doing wrong.
I can watch PBS here in Round Rock/Austin with no problem with the OT TV directly, but moving to the country side in Caldwell-Texas and no Internet (Probably expensive LTE). I am trying to get everything set up with the dish so I will be quicker to re-install the dish in Caldwell.
Oneside note for the OpenBox S9 is that for 12or 15 years the remote would not work anymore. Problem was inthe receiver circuit. I sticked in the freezer (receiver) for couple hours and now working perfectly.

What is the transponder(s) parameters you are getting, and a full list of the channel names you are getting? This will help us determine what satellite you are on.
Keith: Thanks. Just scanned and 292 Channels all encrypted
41 transponders total with some of them details as follows:

Tranponder # Frequency Polarization % SIgnal strength/Quality
--------------------

Keith: Thanks. Just scanned and 292 Channels all encrypted
41 transponders total with some of them details as follows:

Tranponder # Frequency Polarization % Signal strength/Quality
-------------------- ----------------- ---------------- -----------------------------------------
1 11780 H 30000
5 12503 H 20000 85/70 strongest
26 12094 H 20500 86/46
38 12023 V 20500 86/60
41 12548 V 20000 85/60
Mostly the other transponders are weak.
Also gets 178 radio channels
TV channel labels goes from $CH-391 to $CH-8484
Channel 46 on the list labeled $H-7521 H 20000 PID:5410/5411/57

How can you determine the satellite based on that info?
Tank you.

Since it sounds like this dish isn't going to be motorized, if you specifically want the PBS channels on 125°W, you should instead aim for the copies of them on 99°W because the ones on 125°W are supposed to be taken down in a few months. PBS at 99°W has been consistently weaker than at 125°W, but a 39" dish should be big enough for reliable reception.

1 11780 H 30000
26 12094 H 20500 86/46
38 12023 V 20500 86/60
41 12548 V 20000 85/60

How can you determine the satellite based on that info?
Tank you.
Not sure how I missed that one on 110W when I searched earlier on Lyngsat

Electronmini, we look at the tables on lyngsat, first for the frequency that matches, then since those satellites have spotbeams, we look withing the transponders that use that frequency, we look for a beam that can be receivable in Austin TX. In this case, 12548 has beam 22 centered on San Antonio (good coverage maps are on satbeams.com). and on Lyngsat, if you click on DishUSA you get the list of channels, and sure enough there's one with PID 7521. So it's a bit of a detective game, and sometimes some programs are not listed (like the 8886 you had on the screenshot, it's not on Lyngsat)

One more thing, with the exception of 119W, those procrams that scan in as $Chxxxx are typicaly on frequencies above 12200 MHz

The other transponders that you listed (12023 and 12094) are likely some Shaw Direct transponders on Anik F2 @ 111W. Most FTA receivers can't scan those, i'm surprised yours actually detected them.

When you had Canal del Congresso that was likely 117W (Eutelsat 117WB on it's Mexico beam)

As far as using a meter, I think in your case it would be useful. I know nothing about the useability of the specific model, but I think it's basicaly a receiver and screen in a small portable package. Would be the same as bringing a receiver and TV on the roof, just a lot easier :)

1 11780 H 30000
26 12094 H 20500 86/46
38 12023 V 20500 86/60
41 12548 V 20000 85/60
Definitely 110W (12503 and 12548) and 111.1W (12094 and 12023).
11780 H 30000, you don't list any signal strength, are you getting it as well, or is it leftover from a previous scan?

Reactions: Brct203