BTW, people going to E*

FIREBIRD81

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 21, 2005
Jus thtought I'd mention this,since it seems some people who had VOOM have never had the joy of dealing with Dish Network for HD.....The way the 811 handles locals (OTA) is pretty much a pain in the ass. They are included in the program guide, but not as normal channels. FOr isntance, to see the HD feed for my local FOX channel 11, I have to punch in 011-01, rather than just a normal channel number. Voom was cool because I didn't have to go thru that every time to see locals.

FIREBIRD81 said:
Jus thtought I'd mention this,since it seems some people who had VOOM have never had the joy of dealing with Dish Network for HD.....The way the 811 handles locals (OTA) is pretty much a pain in the ass. They are included in the program guide, but not as normal channels. FOr isntance, to see the HD feed for my local FOX channel 11, I have to punch in 011-01, rather than just a normal channel number. Voom was cool because I didn't have to go thru that every time to see locals.

I was told that I could NOT get my locals in HD via the Dish OR Direct Satellite--only their SD feeds of HD via OTA?????? I am still confused about it and noone at either service can give me a direct answer.

bookwalk said:
I was told that I could NOT get my locals in HD via the Dish OR Direct Satellite--only their SD feeds of HD via OTA?????? I am still confused about it and noone at either service can give me a direct answer.
The receivers get the local digital broadcast OTA, if your antenna can pick them up. Neither one can give you locals in HD via satellite yet.

FIREBIRD81 said:
That's right. Of course, without this feature, you couldn't directly tune to any subchannels. What I do is set up a favorites list for locals, and pick the one I want from the guide.

Also, the 811 also allows you to recieve your analog OTA feeds as well. This comes in handy if you don't want the second dish and you can get good reception. There is a PBS station in my area that does not yet broadcast digitally, and would be on the second satellite (which I didn't want). Since the reception is quite good, I am able to program it into my channels and it appears along with the rest of my locals.

I have Dish HD with a model 6000. Now this is a pain in the rear after you have been tuned to a OTA channel for an hour or so then switch back to a satellite cannel. The receiver locks onto the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" screen and will not budge for 5 fringing minutes until it does get the signal. Very aggravating and archaic compared to Voom's seamless interface from OTA to Satellite. This is the MAJOR reason I may cancel Dish on the May 1 and go to cable. Voom has me spoiled from hardware through programming and EVERYTHING in between!

Indy said:
I have Dish HD with a model 6000. Now this is a pain in the rear after you have been tuned to a OTA channel for an hour or so then switch back to a satellite cannel. The receiver locks onto the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" screen and will not budge for 5 fringing minutes until it does get the signal. Very aggravating and archaic compared to Voom's seamless interface from OTA to Satellite. This is the MAJOR reason I may cancel Dish on the May 1 and go to cable. Voom has me spoiled from hardware through programming and EVERYTHING in between!
The 811's used to do that too. Irritating. One of the latest firmware downloads fixed that.

This is the last remaining bug in the 6000 that drives me up a wall. I try to remember to use the transparent surf to browse down to a Dish channel before hitting the guide.

Look on the bright side, the old dinosaur 6000 should be upgradeable to MPEG-4 via a new module, but the 811's will be bookends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts