VOOM Fade to Black and Farewell: T-Minus 9 Days and Counting...

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
All I can say is that I have enjoyed my VOOM experience tremendously and I will certainly miss it when it's gone. Barring family or work emergency, I plan to be there when they disconnect the uplink and the picture on my sets Fade to Black.

Once again, besides all the great original programming...I will miss not reading Sean's programming updates and skillful monitoring of the VOOM Forum, The Timm's Cinema10 movie reviews, TYork's helpful installation insight, Ilya's technical wizardry of all things VOOM, Darrell's critically constructive PQ critiques, Vurbano and Boo's playful banter...and I could go on and on and on and on. Yes, April 30th shall be a sad day indeed.

vurbano said:
This sucks. :(

I agree.. I almost had Voom for a year....less a few weeks when the lights go out.

I havent changed to anyone yet. I am waiting until the bitter end. I would be inclined to go with Dish...thinking they would be picking up the Voom 21 if anyone...still waiting here.

dtsfanohio said:
I agree.. I almost had Voom for a year....less a few weeks when the lights go out.

I havent changed to anyone yet. I am waiting until the bitter end. I would be inclined to go with Dish...thinking they would be picking up the Voom 21 if anyone...still waiting here.
Well, little hope but it looks like E* started 4 new HD test channels today:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64530

vurbano said:
This sucks. :(
Sure does. Almost like waiting by the bedside with a terminal friend.

I am not going with any other service until the dust settles and I see a lot more HD out there than I see right now (other than Voom).

What's the word with HD-DVDs? This is supposed to be the year, but I am not hearing any hype about it.

I will be making the switch to Dish on May 3rd (reluctantly). Thanks to all those that posted helpful and informative messages here. I will miss the drama and entertainment of the Voom forums that's for sure!

Cheers-

electr0n

The weather is getting to nice to sit inside and watch TV. Come on people it's time to get off our duffs and get outside! I for one am not calling the cable company or any sat company untill the fall. I can use the subscription price to play a round of golf!

Sat Junkie said:
The weather is getting to nice to sit inside and watch TV. Come on people it's time to get off our duffs and get outside! I for one am not calling the cable company or any sat company untill the fall. I can use the subscription price to play a round of golf!

Amen to that. I made that decision a week before Voom announced its shutdown. Voom's future constantly being up in the air allowed me to do some serious thinking about my tv viewing. My personal decision is that I watch too much and pay too much. I have ordered an LG 4200a HD ota receiver, so Voom can do whatever they want with their receiver. I will learn to be satisfied with my 5 free, ota channels and get out there and enjoy the nice weather and maybe actually read a book again.

This is like watching all the appeals denied and second request going unanswered by the Supreme Court and now waiting for a call from the Governor to stay the execution. Deep down you know the call will never come, but yet you hold onto hope because that is all you have left. Very sad to be approaching the midnight hour. :no

What about a countdown clock on the Voom Forum??

Is there any way we can get a countdown clock detailing the number of days, hours, minutes, and seconds before April 30th at 12:01PM?

Not sure about the clock. But I think you want it to end at 0001 1 May. Voom is promising service through the END of the day on the 30th. Actually 6 AM EST 1 May according to TIVO anyway.

wrong. Voom is promising service through the END of April 29th, there will only be service for 1 mintue on april 30th. Scott's already been told this.

I used a script website for this one

(new script in later post)

Cool. I'll put it on the Home Page.

If I find one without the link to the script site I'll update it. but most of the other ones are the lame text box kind

ok fixed

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://scripts.franciscocharrua.com/services/countdown-clock/countdown-clock.php"></script><script type="text/javascript"><!--
countdown_clock(5, 4, 30, 0, 1, 3631000, 3, '1');//--></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://satelliteguys.us/bfg/countdown-clock2.php"></script><script type="text/javascript"><!--
countdown_clock(5, 4, 20, 0, 0, 3631000, 0, '2');//--></script>

made another change.

The one you have on the voom homepage just starts from the same time everytime it's opened lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts