BUD 4 OTA?

ByronRACE

Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
gilroy, ca
Anyone here tried using a roof mounted BUD (big ugly dish) to point at a distant tower for OTA digital TV?

Does there exist an LNB (feed horn/block converter) for such an application?

If I put a simple bow-tie near the prime focus area of my BUD and aimed it at the tower, would it work? It's a fine mesh dish...holes are perhaps 1/8".

I have a bunch (30+) of stations at 56mi range line of sight, which I can get sporadically with an 8 bow tie panel antennae, and have this old BUD on the roof that hasn't been used in 20 years. I'm thinking if it can provide the gain, I'll aim it at those distant stations and aim my 8-gang panel at the closer ones.

But, I don't want to do all this roof work and re aim the BUD and all that bother if someone here has tried it and failed. I really have no idea if a BUD will work as a reflector for this frequency.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Byron

Last edited:
The BUD would act as a very large reflector, but aiming would be very sensitive.

Can the bud be set to aim at the horizon?

Placing a bow tie antenna at the focal point of the BUD might work.

Channel Master used to make 6 and 8 foot parabolic reflector type antennas.

Your biggest problem would be wind load, a good gust of wind could rip it off the roof and do all sorts of damage.

For the lower frequencies of OTA TV you do not need as solid of a reflector as satellite reception needs, thus the gaps on the CM reflector were on the order of 4-6 inches (<10% reflector area), wheres your BUD is probably >40% area reflector.

Last edited:
BUD Reflector

I see what you mean about aiming sensitivity; but I'm up for the challenge.

No worries about wind; this thing is pole mounted through the house on a very strong 1/2" wall tube that extends from a cement block in the foundation up through the house to the 30ft point at the roof and is tied into shear walls in both directions; someone spent a lot of money building this old C-Band setup into this house back in the 80's.

I'll work on getting it set up so I can hit terrestrial targets, and I'll build myself a bowtie for the focal point; or buy one.

Perhaps I can make the actuator function and sweep on a left/right plane; that would be very helpful for targeting. There are a couple of towers up in that area a few degrees apart...it could be fun to hit them all.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

I think you're trying to create a Channel Master 4251. It had a four-bay bowtie in the middle, pointed -at- the parabola, and had a grounded fence "behind" it (facing the towers) to keep the elements from being flooded with noise. Monster antenna, monster results back in the '70s, but I'm not sure how useful it is with ATSC digital signals. Have you considered a log periodic UHF antenna instead?

Channel Master 4251 Tribute Page

Good Luck on the project ByronRACE. If I wasn't using my BUD for satellite reception I would have already putzed around and tried what you are thinking of.

Keep us posted on your progress. Very interesting.

DRCars

OTA BUD

Precisely! I've already made a single bowtie from some online DIY plans and will start by wire tying it to the face of the existing c-band feedhorn, loosing up the controls and man handling this beast north until I see something wiggle on the TV. LOL Here's hoping I don't fall off the roof.

B

I think you're trying to create a Channel Master 4251. It had a four-bay bowtie in the middle, pointed -at- the parabola, and had a grounded fence "behind" it (facing the towers) to keep the elements from being flooded with noise. Monster antenna, monster results back in the '70s, but I'm not sure how useful it is with ATSC digital signals. Have you considered a log periodic UHF antenna instead?

Channel Master 4251 Tribute Page

Byron, Well if it was me I'd use it for FTA myself, but I think your idea is good. I never thought of doing something like it. Let us all know how it works out...you peeked my curiousity in this..Blind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)