BUD Cover Ideas?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
I found this dish cover advertised in an old supplier catalog and was wondering if anyone had tried covering their bud to help prevent snow buildup or spare hail damage? I think it would be worth trying to craft a cover since I live in Arkansas with plenty of hailstorms.

Attachments

• 20211112_194931.jpg
    20211112_194931.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 20211112_194700.jpg
    20211112_194700.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 141
You know that shrink-wrap plastic they use on boats for storage over the Winter? That will work perfectly on a C-band dish to protect from hale damage. You just have to make sure you don't shrink it so tightly, that it clam-shells the dish.

For that matter, you can probably buy Flex Seal liquid rubber paint, and paint your dish surface thick enough to protect from the average hail.

Mild hail likely won't do any significant damage to the dish that would affect performance and heavy hail will go right through whatever cover you might use. Not worth the expenditure, IMHO.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Just run nekkid, you will be fine. Many of hail storms here and my dish and feed horn are fine. On a side note, I was mowing today and backed up to my ku dish and knocked it off kilter, oh well something to do tomorrow.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Think I remember someone suggesting using car wax on the dish to allow the snow to slide off easier. I think tried that with a Ku dish. It worked ok but just never got around to doing it again. Wouldn't help with hail though.

Could also build a geodesic radome around the dish like at radar sites. Not likely much of a return on investment. Would get the neighbours talking though.
:)

Think I remember someone suggesting using car wax on the dish to allow the snow to slide off easier. I think tried that with a Ku dish. It worked ok but just never got around to doing it again. Wouldn't help with hail though.

Could also build a geodesic radome around the dish like at radar sites. Not likely much of a return on investment. Would get the neighbours talking though.
:)
I had one neighbor from 4 houses down actually pull onto my grass and stare while I was unloading my BUD at my new house. I *politely* requested he mind his own business.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Maybe he wanted to help and just too shy to ask? :)
You never know what people are thinking...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts