BUD for dish network

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IntelPennny4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
USA
So was thinking can I use my 8ft BUD for picking up dish network instead of using there small dish???? Will the dielectric plate change the lnb to work on their signals??

A prime focus antenna like your 8" C-Band dish is not optimal for Dish Network. First of all, Dish Network broadcasts from two different "arcs" the Eastern Arc, made up of satellites at 61.5 and 72W, and the Western Arc, consisting of satellites at 110, 119, and 129W. Your big dish would only be able to "see" one orbital slot at a time. Furthermore, it is not optimized for KU signals. You would be much better off using the standard Dish Network provided antenna with the multiple LNBFs. Or using multiple 18" or larger offset dishes. Offset antennas are usually used for KU band because they are designed to be more efficient than a prime focus antenna, like your C-Band dish, where the feed is centered in the middle of the dish. You would likely get poor performance out of your big dish, if you could even rig it to work with a circular KU band LNB that can receive the 12.2-12.7 GHz band.

Ok so how could I use the 8ft for high band KU?

You replace your c-band lnb with a dish network lnb. But, do you ever plan on moving your bud after you convert it to Dish, because it needs to stay on the Dish sats to receive downloads and such. Also, a bud can't really easily aim at more than a single sat, and you need to aim at at least two for Dish at a single time. Yes, you can mount two Dish lnbs, and maybe cobble something up, but why? Dish Network dishes are everywhere for FREE or low price and do the job much better, so IMO it's not worth even trying.

I would use a 1 meter or 1.2 meter dish offset dish DeeAnn had that on her setup. It kept the signal longer during rain fade.

This screams DPP44 using several 1 meter dishes.
I'm not sure the TS has established that the smaller single dish is a problem. I took it as being a preemptive measure.

The problem with bigger dishes and rain fade is that the signal coherence just isn't there and no matter the size of the dish, it isn't going to get a whole lot better. Diffusion and dispersion are nasty facts of life and they have a much greater impact as the wavelength gets short.

Directv has a larger dish for most of its stuff. What comes off the 110w 119w does not fade like so much of the Dish Network stuff.
A larger dish for Dish Network would stop so much of the rain fade.

Reactions: danristheman
AT&T's dish is larger because it has to work much harder at gathering Ka signals. Most modern AT&T LNBs don't have horns 110W or 119W.

Not so true look at the 18x20
The 18x20 (more conventionally known as the Phase III) hasn't been deployed in a new installation for a while now (since AT&T stopped doing new SD installations). Even some of the later SD installs were getting a Slimline dish.

I was just trying to aim for no rain fade at all. Kinda like cable company's can not have rain fade with there BUDS

Cablecos are receiving C band signals. Nice big dish = almost non existent rain fade.

Ku (& Ka) band signals, used by satcos for direct to home, are attenuated much more than C band signals by rain. Sure, a bigger dish will help. A little. But if the signal has been weakened by rain along the way, there just may not be much to catch.

Reactions: hank123 and bigg t
Sometimes,when a big storm rolls thru Cheyenne,the Dish signals can't even get up to the sats.
Dish has a huge uplink facility near Spokane and another large one in Gilbert Arizona. By pure coincidence I happened to have lived close to both of them over the last 20 years. :)

The 18x20 (more conventionally known as the Phase III) hasn't been deployed in a new installation for a while now (since AT&T stopped doing new SD installations). Even some of the later SD installs were getting a Slimline dish.

look at the KAKU5. you will find this in use at ANY MDU.

I know a SMW3 will work on a 18x20, does not fit but you can jam the SOB on there.

look at the KAKU5. you will find this in use at ANY MDU.
Chances are none of us represents an MDU. Those who want their full slate of channels that they paid for should demand the SL5 but they don't often get what they want.
I know a SMW3 will work on a 18x20, does not fit but you can jam the SOB on there.
Only the hard core DIRECTV RVer. Ka is just a bit beyond the reach of the smaller dish in all but the finest of weather.

The point is that signal scattering can't be overcome by using even the largest dish. Sure, you can get a stronger signal, but it won't be coherent so the quality will remain low.

Reactions: hank123
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)