BUD Hunting techniques

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
How do you hunt BUDs? Follow Toucan-Man's daily updates? Work the classified? Drive the area?

Besides Craigslist, I keep an eye out when I drive (unintentional but I'll notice Buds). I'll note the location then when I have time I'll find the address using Google Maps/Earth and shoot the owner a letter. So far am 0-4.

Cheers, K

Craigslist only scratches the surface. Am glad that there occasionally have been some good matches between dish and buyer.

Anywhere I drive my antennae are on full alert, my wife's too. I will call the owner by finding the name of the person in the county's land information parcel records, at least around here that information is online, just search by entering the fire number or street address number and you have the owner's name to match the address you wrote down while out on a drive. If I can't find the phone number in a directory from the land owner's name, I have no choice but to knock on the door. If there is a door. I know of one mesh dish that's sitting on a vacant lot, with ownership on the other side of the state.

All of the above. Eventually you score! And after you have been doing this for a few years you have more s**t than you know what to do with. Show up on my doorstep and I'll send you home with anyone of a number of BUDs.

Attachments

• satyard 009.JPG
    satyard 009.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 218
  • satyard 011.JPG
    satyard 011.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 197
  • satyard 010.JPG
    satyard 010.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 202
  • satyard 003.JPG
    satyard 003.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 198
All of the above. Eventually you score! And after you have been doing this for a few years you have more s**t than you know what to do with. Show up on my doorstep and I'll send you home with anyone of a number of BUDs.

AWESOME!! I'm gonna plan my next vacation to visit your yard..LOL!
BTW, when looking at those pics I was reminded of the "find the object" games that my wife plays. :)

Talk about an FTA'er's wet dream.
But it's not my place. I can play here anytime I want though :) I'm considering pulling one of those EchoStar 10' mesh out and tweak it to perfection. and replace my Laser C/Ku. Maybe put it on one of the AJAKs laying around. Still I like to look for them in the wild ;) . Toucan-man and I just put a 10' Prodelin back to work.

About a month ago I had the afternoon off...loaded the dog in the Jeep and drove through Northern NY, VT and NH for a BUF hunt... I saw a total of 1 (really old, solid, maybe 10ft).

Considering it was the country, am guessing a dealer must have cleaned out the BUDS and swapped them for pizza dishes.

Cheers, K

Around here there are maybe 5 buds still standing,not counting mine.And one of those is 12'darkstar that you would have to pay me to take away.Primestar dishes are all gone,they mostly used the 1.2m around here.The ravenous scrappers have pretty much cleared the countryside of buds in this area.

Search kijiji regularly and place a free ad in same advertising you want them. In this area, it is much better than craigslist for this purpose. I found mine that way, and I've seen several more that were too far away from me to consider.

Last edited:
Hey Kraven, If you're ever up for a drive to the Albany NY area, I know of a couple around here you could remove. I'm trying to figure out which among a few Id like to use the mount from. But, I have a lead on 2 or 3 of them. Let me know if you want contact info. The one guy has a 10 footer (mesh i believe) with pole mount and receiver. Ready to be taken away.

Any BUDs I've seen pop up in Alberta so far have been on Kijiji.

I've posted a "looking, take away for free" ad on Kijiji. Got a reply right away from a guy who wanted to know how to use the one he had in his yard.

Although I didn't get his, we had a chat and he has already sent me a lead for one in his neighbourhood.

Hey Kraven, If you're ever up for a drive to the Albany NY area, I know of a couple around here you could remove. I'm trying to figure out which among a few Id like to use the mount from. But, I have a lead on 2 or 3 of them. Let me know if you want contact info. The one guy has a 10 footer (mesh i believe) with pole mount and receiver. Ready to be taken away.

Appreciate the look out mate. Yeah Albany's definitely do-able this summer.... if you ever see a 6ft mesh, lemme know and beers on me.

Cheers, K

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)