BUD Mesh replacement search

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ECruzBUD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
SEATTLE, WA.
Hi Folks,

What warehouse store would I find a role of mesh material for my 10 foot satellite dish???
What would have a better material that would get a better signal like the meish material???
IF you do know, what brand makes would I buy that works????

Would LOWES or Home Depot has what I'm looking for???

As you all know the mesh is black material.

Hope all helps with answers.

Thanks,
Eugene

What would have a better material that would get a better signal like the meish material???
Solid sheet. No holes. Will work better if operating at Ku freqs. But at C band a 1.4 inch hole is electrically 'closed'.
Are you patching or contemplating replacing all the mesh for higher performance??
Lowes, Menards, Home Depot and well stocked hardware stores should have 'stock' but if more than a patch, think the cost would be prohibitive.

Solid sheet. No holes. Will work better if operating at Ku freqs. But at C band a 1.4 inch hole is electrically 'closed'.
Are you patching or contemplating replacing all the mesh for higher performance??
Lowes, Menards, Home Depot and well stocked hardware stores should have 'stock' but if more than a patch, think the cost would be prohibitive.
I threw out 400 pounds of mesh to the local scrap guy last year

Hi FaT Air,

Thank you for your reply.
To answer your question......
The mesh in 3 or 4 sections were torn.
So my 22 years old nephew torn those mesh from 4section.

My 10 foot dish, I 'm only using C-band, if you like to know

Can you tell me what to look for at LOWES or at Home Depot
that is a mesh material for my 10 foot dish???
And what brand makes that would show on the package???

I personally do not know how to patch the mesh in 3 or 4 sections
on mydish. I wish that IF you knoewhow, I wish you could patch it.
Or do you know any hobbiest on big dish in the Seattle area,
who would do it????

Hope you could help with answers.

Thanks
Eugene

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/found-a-damaged-bud-now-what.212074/#post-2204808

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/found-a-damaged-bud-now-what.212074/

If the mesh is just torn, no missing material, could just sew it together with small diameter wire. I've used bare copper in the past also.

How about some pictures for a 'look see'??

Hi FaT Air,

No, I said in my previous message that the mesh were torn and has holes on them, so my 22 years old nephew thinks it needed to be replace. So, I'm asking you do you know what brand makes package I could find at LOWES or Home Depot that is roll of mesh????

See photo attach.

Eugene image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not the worst case I've seen. Think I'd just work the pieces flat and patch the largest holes with something like this. "Available in different patterns" Sew the patches on with aluminum wire. Give 'em a shot of black spray paint.
I used this technique where there were half a dozen 6 in holes made by hail BITD. Didn't notice any loss in performance. Just massaged the patches to conform to the curvature.
Another option would be a call to skyvision, they may have full panels, (no guarantee) But think that would be costly if they do today as they haven't been produced for quite a while..

You might find a similar mesh used for customizing auto grills, usually in stainless steel. Just be sure the hole size is small enough to match the panels you are replacing. Can be found online and at auto custom shops.

Not the worst case I've seen. Think I'd just work the pieces flat and patch the largest holes with something like this. "Available in different patterns" Sew the patches on with aluminum wire. Give 'em a shot of black spray paint.
I used this technique where there were half a dozen 6 in holes made by hail BITD. Didn't notice any loss in performance. Just massaged the patches to conform to the curvature.
Another option would be a call to skyvision, they may have full panels, (no guarantee) But think that would be costly if they do today as they haven't been produced for quite a while..

From the photos you posted, I think your old panels can be reused. The tears appear to be only around the screw holes.

I recently did a mesh repair on my 7.5' Echostar (KTI). The panels on my dish were in similar condition to yours. I laid each panel (curved side up) on smooth flat concrete and flattened them out using a rubber mallet. Once flat, I slid the panels back into the channels on the frame.

When reattaching the panels to the frame, I moved the screws over from any areas around the original screw holes that were badly torn. There were a few 4" - 6" torn spots in the main field of the mesh that I sewed back together. For that I took stranded picture hanger wire, pulled a single strand out and then stitched the tear back together. If needed, the thin wire could also be used to secure the mesh to the ribs.

There was one piece of mesh on mine that I couldn't completely salvage, so I used a piece of thin perforated sheet aluminum to replace the damaged portion of the mesh. I cut the aluminum to shape using a mesh panel and then placed it into the frame. A metal supply company in your area may stock perforated aluminum sheeting.

BTW, is it just the angle of the photo or is your dish warped?

In industrial circles, woven wire mesh is called "wire cloth ", "space cloth", welded "bolting cloth". Suppliers such as MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)
list many variants. Wire guage, hole size, or wire spacing, composition, variations in type of weave, etc run the gamut. With some, it's pretty easy to get the grid out of whack
because of wires slipping side to side, especially when cutting. One type, bolting cloth, actually has a small dot of weld at each junction, making it relatively
sturdy.

... However, it might be cheaper to find a craigslist dish instead of buying new panels. ...
That's exactly what I started to do the other day and in the search results I saw a mesh dish for $500, and a Birdview 8.5' solid for $25. Needless to say, I got the Birdview! :D

And if it wasn't for this thread, I would have missed the chance to get a Birdview.

In industrial circles, woven wire mesh is called "wire cloth ", "space cloth", welded "bolting cloth". Suppliers such as MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)
list many variants. Wire guage, hole size, or wire spacing, composition, variations in type of weave, etc run the gamut. With some, it's pretty easy to get the grid out of whack
because of wires slipping side to side, especially when cutting. One type, bolting cloth, actually has a small dot of weld at each junction, making it relatively
sturdy.

Hi lfp302,

I contacted MSC, either they don't understand????
Or I don't know what part number for a roll of luminous mesh
for the 10 foot mesh dish.
MSC sent me the link just for piece of aluminum mesh.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...2#navid=4287923052+4288243204&searchterm=mesh

I asked for the link that would show the rolls of alumninum mesh.
I am wondering if you find it on their site????
I think there is an MSC indisteral place in Seattle???

We want the roll of aluminum mesh.

Hope you could find it
Thanks

Hi lfp302,

I contacted MSC, either they don't understand????
Or I don't know what part number for a roll of luminous mesh
for the 10 foot mesh dish.
MSC sent me the link just for piece of aluminum mesh.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...2#navid=4287923052+4288243204&searchterm=mesh

I asked for the link that would show the rolls of alumninum mesh.
I am wondering if you find it on their site????
I think there is an MSC indisteral place in Seattle???

We want the roll of aluminum mesh.

Hope you could find it
Thanks

Here is the Seattle location:

http://www.mcnichols.com/locations/seattle

Definitely go there and make sure that is the aluminum mesh you need. Good Luck!!!

https://www.mscdirect.com/ProductsH...ry-Brand?mkwid=sWusaD5lR|dc?pcrid=64750678624

This page is general brownse by category, from there select raw materials, then select wire cloth, then select aluminum,brass,steel etc, also wire size,
also spacing etc., to refine search. If you find an office there in Seattle, go there and ask them to show you their catalog. It's sometimes easier to digest
what's what by flipping pages till you see what you want.

That McNichols info might be a good resource too.

I'm guessing I made a stupid post the other day. I thought 'we' were talking about just one company. Still not sure as I can't get the links to load due to the extremely slow internet out here in the Nevada desert.

Hooked up the Vbox and Amiko - the old Orbitron is still on the arc just like it was last November when I left here. That Titanium LNBF sure does work good!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts