BUD string test?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
FL/TN
Ideally the strings should be as close together as possible where they cross, but at what point do you give up on a dish. 1/4", 1/2" or ? What is the max and the dish is still usable?

I don't know of any hard and fast rule (tolerance), but the further out the measurements are, the less efficiency you will have. For example, you may have a 10' dish that performs like an 8 footer.

Is the dish mounted? I had a dish that measured about 1/4" out when it was laying on the ground, but was almost perfect when it was mounted.

Its a 10.5' button hook, mounted and the strings are 1/2'' apart. :(
On the other hand, I have a 7.5' up and running and the strings are a gnats eyelash apart. I WAS going to replace it with the 10.5' but I am rethinking it now.

Last edited:
My first BUD was a POS fiberglass with a buttonhook. To make it true, I ended up running two 1/8 inch steel cables across the dish with turn-buckles to pull it into a usable dish.

Its mounted and the strings are 1/2'' apart. :(

How big is this dish? If it is already up I would go ahead and see how it did. My main BUD is a 10' Perfect Ten, and it is dented all over and has a few holes in it........works great!

Is it a mesh dish? If so, and you wanted to experiment, I would be tempted to try "pulling" it into shape with some small ratcheting straps.

Edit: Yeah, what dahenny said.

I have a Birdview now, but for my first big dish - an 8 foot solid aluminum - I bent it back as much as I could with a come-along. I finished with a 1/16 stranded wire and two cable clamps. I had actually installed the dish but had to take it down for the straightening. For this procedure I had it on the ground, facing up.

The dish had a flat flange that went around it. I attached some big C clamps to the flange on opposite sides. That's what I hooked the comealong hooks to. Of course I was pulling it in the direction it needed to be straightened. On both sides, next to where I attached the comealong, I drilled little holes put a small bolts with washers through the flange. I used those teardrop shaped cable loop things on the ends. The loops went over the bolts and were kept there with washers as I tightened the flange bolts. I tightened down one cable clamp. I left the other clamp loose.

I pulled with the come along, pulling the loose end through its clamp to snug it up. I pulled until the wire was above the string going in the cross direction about a quarter inch. I tightened up the clamp and took the comealong off. When I did that the wire came a little toward the string. To get it the rest of the way, I held the short end of the1/16 stranded wire as I slowly loosened the little cable clamp.It reached a tightness where it slipped back a little and the wire touched the string. I tightened it upand got much better reception thereafter.

Last edited:
How big is this dish? If it is already up I would go ahead and see how it did.

It's 10.5 ' no name mesh, button hook. I planted a pole for it the last time I was in TN and mounted it this trip. I thought I better do some checking (should have done it while it was on the the ground but that is a lesson learned) Maybe I'll go ahead a try to get it running on my next trip up there and see how it does. I don't have much to lose anyway.
Thanks for the info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)