building new house

iflych52

Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Hello, I just found this forum and have a question. I have future wire (two rg-6 and two cat 5) run from where I want a dish location to my home run location. What kind of termination on the outside of the house should I have? Some kind of plate or box? What about crossing or running parallel electrical lines in the house?

thanks much
Aaron

I am not 100% sure on the termination, but I can say you will want to run more than 2 RG6 lines in and likely will want to go CAT6 or CAT6a over the CAT5.

… What about crossing or running parallel electrical lines in the house? ...
It’s good practice to avoid running signal cables parallel to power lines. If they have to be parallel, keep them at least 2’ apart. Signal and power lines that cross at 90-degree angles are not a problem.

Having said that, well-shielded coax cables (particularly the quad-shield variety) will probably not be affected by being close to electrical lines.

Thanks for the input. Good to know about the electrical lines. I tried to make my runs cross at 90 if I had to. I believe the wire is quad shieded. Why would I need more than one RG6 lines and a cat5? I also had a ground wire placed near my termination. Anyone else as to what to do with the wires dangling outside the house?

Thanks

Run coax and other cables to all area's in plastic or metal conduit, I like 2" makes it easier to pull more cables etc in the future. Run 4 reg 6 coaxes to the outside in a conduit and then seal it with great stuff foam. The foam makes it weather tight rodent tite and makes it easier to add to later as the foam can be easily removed. Leave about 6' or mor slack outside to run to your grounding block.

Dont forget, you can also run your pvc for central vac, Even if you dont install a central vac right away it makes it easier in the future.

… Why would I need more than one RG6 lines and a cat5? …
Good question. It’s called futureproofing.

Cat-5 was the standard a while back. Cat-5e is common now and Cat-6 is becoming more popular. One day we may use fiber-optic cables in our house. If you do as dodge recommends, you’ll be able to easily remove older standard cables in the future when new ones come along. You’ll also be able to add more that you don’t yet realize you’ll want.

Plastic conduit is cheap, easy to install and gives you options for future rewiring. Ask those who didn’t use it when they had the chance.

Cat 5(e) is fine. It's pretty much standard. I've yet to see many real uses for cat 6. Run it if you want, but there's not going to be much of an advantage.

Run 5 RG6 from the dish location to the wiring area. Why 5? Because DirecTV uses 4. Even if you're only planning on Dish, you may want it for later. That leaves one extra for OTA or use as a spare.

I'd coil a few extra feet on each cable and then throw the ends in a waterproof j-box if you're not going to use it right away. If you're hooking up a dish right away, it's not really necessary.

Also don't forget to at least leave access to and coil the cable where the ground block will be so you can cut and terminate it later.

Run all cat 5 and RG6 at 90 degree angles to power cables. If they are running parallel, leave 12+ inches spacing between them.

oops. to late. Sheet rock going up today. I only have two rg6 cables running to my sat. location. My old house had one coax run the the sat dish and it was direcTV. What am I missing here fellas? The cat 5 is cat5e.

Thanks

oops. to late. Sheet rock going up today. I only have two rg6 cables running to my sat. location. My old house had one coax run the the sat dish and it was direcTV. What am I missing here fellas? The cat 5 is cat5e.

Thanks

One cable is fine if you have one TV without a DVR. Two cables are fine if you have two TV's or one DVR. You need 4 to support 4+ tuners.

Makes my head spin looking at all your pictures. Love the radiant floors. I could not swing the extra price for radiant.

Thanks

Yep, sorry to say but not good as you have hamstrung your setup from the get-go.

While the standards will change, I jumped on my house when I had the chance. :D (2) 3GHz-swept RG6 and (2) Cat-5e to every location and (6) runs to the dish(es) location.

smartpanel.jpg

My setup looks almost like above. From my head end location I will be right next to my main TV location (downstairs location for movies). Directly above on the main floor I will have my second TV for casual view like news in the Family/Living room. My third TV will be in the master bedroom. Can I run my F/L room TV on the same reciever as the downstairs TV and run a HDMI cable upstairs? Then have a second reciever in the master bedroom? What about a DVR? What about splitting my signal at the head end and sending it out to other location? Thanks

My setup looks almost like above. From my head end location I will be right next to my main TV location (downstairs location for movies). Directly above on the main floor I will have my second TV for casual view like news in the Family/Living room. My third TV will be in the master bedroom. Can I run my F/L room TV on the same reciever as the downstairs TV and run a HDMI cable upstairs?

Yes, but you have to watch the same program on any TV's connected to the same receiver.[/quote]

Then have a second reciever in the master bedroom? What about a DVR?

A DVR has two tuners and will use both coax's that you already ran.

What about splitting my signal at the head end and sending it out to other location? Thanks

You can't do that. You can use multiswitches for 4+ TV's but they need 4 coax's from the dish.

Also...cat 5 to the dish is fairly useless. With the new 5 LNB dish there's no DBS baluns that will pass the higher frequencies.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)