Built a outdoor switch box

Lee60

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
California
Took some pics today so I thought I would share some of my diy switch box. Inside is a 4 in- 8 out zinwell switch and 3- 1.1 Pansat diseqc
switches. Sorry no inside pics today.

Used some aluminum sheet that I had laying around and some 1x1 alum. angle. Cut the sheet up on my table saw. Used my chop saw to cut up the angle. Used pieces of angle and pop rivets to assemble the box. Sealed everything except the front cover with clear silicone. Installed continuous angle on the front of the box. Used single sided foam tape as a sealer on the front angle.
On the bottom of the box I cut a slot instead of individual holes for the cables. Then used 2 pieces of closed cell backer rod to sort of seal the opening off. Mostly to keep bugs out.

It all started when I lost 87W because my neighbor's palm had grown in the way. So to fix that I added a sidecar on my c band dish. Works surprisingly well. I'm adding a pic of the sidecar. The KU dish is now only connected to the MB, guest BR and the garage tv's by way of the diseqc switches(controlled by the MB sat. box).

Oh and I used to have my 4x4 switch in a plastic box but that fell apart. Then I inverted a 2 lb. coffee can and stuffed the switch in there. It wasn't pretty. So had to make a new enclosure (or buy one, have you priced outdoor electrical boxes- yikes)

Attachments

• 20230209_150058.jpg
    20230209_150058.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 124
  • 20230209_150142.jpg
    20230209_150142.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20230209_150219.jpg
    20230209_150219.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 135
Took some pics today so I thought I would share some of my diy switch box. Inside is a 4 in- 8 out zinwell switch and 3- 1.1 Pansat diseqc
switches. Sorry no inside pics today.

Used some aluminum sheet that I had laying around and some 1x1 alum. angle. Cut the sheet up on my table saw. Used my chop saw to cut up the angle. Used pieces of angle and pop rivets to assemble the box. Sealed everything except the front cover with clear silicone. Installed continuous angle on the front of the box. Used single sided foam tape as a sealer on the front angle.
On the bottom of the box I cut a slot instead of individual holes for the cables. Then used 2 pieces of closed cell backer rod to sort of seal the opening off. Mostly to keep bugs out.

It all started when I lost 87W because my neighbor's palm had grown in the way. So to fix that I added a sidecar on my c band dish. Works surprisingly well. I'm adding a pic of the sidecar. The KU dish is now only connected to the MB, guest BR and the garage tv's by way of the diseqc switches(controlled by the MB sat. box).

Oh and I used to have my 4x4 switch in a plastic box but that fell apart. Then I inverted a 2 lb. coffee can and stuffed the switch in there. It wasn't pretty. So had to make a new enclosure (or buy one, have you priced outdoor electrical boxes- yikes)

Nice work! :)

Reactions: Lee60
Agreed a nice outdoor weatherproof box for such electronics is stupid expensive.. been looking for parts for another project (non-satellite) requiring two small outdoor enclosures making it cost prohibitive unless something used/junk pile usable can be found.
Great to be able to make up your own.
For some reason I'm not that great at fabricating... seems no matter how many times I measure and cut something, it always ends up wrong.

Reactions: Lee60
Agreed a nice outdoor weatherproof box for such electronics is stupid expensive.. been looking for parts for another project (non-satellite) requiring two small outdoor enclosures making it cost prohibitive unless something used/junk pile usable can be found.
For some reason I'm not that great at fabricating... seems no matter how many times I measure and cut something, it always ends up wrong.
I use one of these on my dish pole. It's huge inside, and really good price: CableTek CT5 11X9X5 Multi Purpose Enclosure Utility Box | eBay

I guess I was born with the right genes. Worked construction for 30+ years. Finished off my career running a fab shop.
I'm a retired union glazier( Glaziers, Architectural Metal and Glassworkers) IUPAT

Reactions: FTA4PA
UPDATE:
It was sunny and warm today so I decided to open my box up to check if I had any leaks. It's been raining here in California like crazy so a good time to check.
I was very happy to see it was dry. Since I didn't post any pics of the inside before, now was the time to take some.
pic #1 was when I first removed the cover today.
pic #2 was when I pulled everything out
pic #3 was after shortening one cable and finally screwing down the Zinwell switch.

I just reread some of my original post. I mentioned my diseqc switches as being 1.1's. Nope just 1's

Attachments

• 20230317_142442.jpg
    20230317_142442.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230317_142613.jpg
    20230317_142613.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20230317_153048.jpg
    20230317_153048.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: iBoston and FTA4PA