Bullseye II and multiswitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john_robot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Hi, guys I am going to buy a [SIZE=-1]Bullseye II Feedhorn for my Patriot 3.8m Dish.

I am very new to everything and can you pls tell me what kind of multiswitch I need for to get both C/Ku V/H.

also what LNB's do you think good for the above setup ?

My receiver is dreambox 800HD
[/SIZE]

Zinwell SAM-4402

Zinwell SAM-4402 it says.

Satellite selection is by 22 KHz tone. If the tone is present, the Multiswitch selects the 119 degree satellite. If no tone is present, the Multiswitch will select the 101 degree location.

-----------------

i dont understand 22 KHz tone and how it select 119 degree satellite coz I am buying this not for US satellites . can you pls explain me what it is ?

Zinwell SAM-4402 it says.

Satellite selection is by 22 KHz tone. If the tone is present, the Multiswitch selects the 119 degree satellite. If no tone is present, the Multiswitch will select the 101 degree location.

-----------------

i dont understand 22 KHz tone and how it select 119 degree satellite coz I am buying this not for US satellites . can you pls explain me what it is ?
The original usage for this switch was for the DirecTV Phase II dish many years ago when they advanced to multiple satellites (101 was 22khz off, 110-119 was 22khz on). Now we can use it just fine to select 2 separate satellites for multiple receivers, using the 22khz tone to discern between the 2 sats. Disregard the description...

If you don't want to modify a switch, simply use power inserters on the vertical LNBs to feed 18V or more.

If you don't want to modify a switch, simply use power inserters on the vertical LNBs to feed 18V or more.

I have seen most of Spuan switches got so many controllers so I'm just wondering if they have anything for this without doing any modifications or power inserters?

Every DirecTV 3x4 or 4x4 multiswitch ever produced will send 14 volts for vertical and 18 volts for horizontal. The only use for a multiswitch that would output 18 volts on all ports would be for someone using an orthomode feed, which are very few. Your options are to either mod the switch or use power inserters to supply 18 volts to the LNB's.

Can we mod a Spuan switch like the same way that you guys did ?

Conceptually the mod to the Zinwell 6x8 should work in any multiswitch if it doesn't get destroyed by opening it. You might need to supply your own chokes, however. The mod to the WNC 4x8 is conceptually nicer in that the built-in power supply is used, but not all switches are set up with regulators in that manner.

In the bigger picture, if one has to ask such a question, perhaps it might be safer to follow an existing mod or employ power inserters. Spauns are nice switches, but you would hard-pressed to prove to me that it would deliver a higher quality signal than say a Zinwell 6x8.

I'm going to chime in on this thread since I am basically in the same boat as the OP. I tried the Zinwell 4x8 mod as the Mod II thread directed, but had a bad switch which lead to a lot of bleedover and inconsistant signals. I ordered a couple of more Zinwell 4x8 switches, but the inside looks like the 6x8 instead of the 4x8 in the pictures posted. They are missing the part where you solder the resistors. Pendragon, you do these mods alot, have you ran into switches like that and modded them? If so, could you post a couple of pics or explain how I could mod it so I can get my Bullseye II up and running?!!! I am dying here!

bidaw - I'm not sure which switches you are trying to modify. Perhaps some pictures might solve my confusion. In the meantime, make sure you are matching the right switch to the right thread:

The first thread I wrote on switch mods was for the WNC 4x8 powered switch. This is NOT the same switch as the Zinwell 4x8 powered switch. I do have one of the latter, but I've never opened it because it powers a LNB that wants both 13 and 18V. I would be surprised if the circuits for the Zinwell and WNC are the same because they measure differently. You're on your own with the Zinwell 4x8.

The second thread was on the Zinwell 6x8 unpowered switch. This approach could conceptually apply to a broader range of other switches than the WNC mod. However in some cases you might have to either desolder SMT chokes and substitute leaded ones or perform circuit board surgery. In any event you're on your own.

I'd prefer not to get dragged into providing detailed advice for switches that are not the two I've modified. When I publish a mod, I've researched it and tested it. That means there's a very good chance of success for anyone who performs the same mod. All the pictures and discussion for a different switch will likely never meet the same standards.

Pendragon...I wouldn't ask you something that was out of your expertise! Yes, it is a WNC 4x8....but it's a little different. Here are some pics to show my point. I hope u can help. If not that's fine too. If I need to provide more detailed pics, let me know.

Attachments

• image-2640550277.png
    image-2640550277.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 166
  • image-2269964544.png
    image-2269964544.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
It looks like you took the front cover off. The mod is done by taking the back cover off instead. Hopefully this will resolve your problem.

That was it! I followed your instructions to the T last time...I must of had brain freeze this time around. Thank goodness for the internet and you. Much appreciated. For pointing me in the right direction and you sharing this mod!

LOL :D
so what side do we have to open ? is it the side with the label or no label?

Follow the original instructions.
I thought they were pretty clear.

Else, open both sides and look. - :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts