Bunch of BS

TJ22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I call up dish network tonight to upgrade to HD service, thinking this should be painless. If getting ripped off is painless, it sure was. Here is the lowdown.

1) To get the channels I want it is $15/month - which is fine.
2) To get the receiver I need, I have to sign up for 2 more years..hmmm.
3) I have to pay....$198....WHAT?

So if I am new I can get all this for basically free, if I want it now I get the shaft.

$20 a month cancellation fee...I may have to do it.

Is there anyone else in a similar boat with a solution?

Is there anyway to avoid the cancellation fee?

Thanks in advance.

Can I buy my own 811 and my own secondary satellite and install this crap myself and just pay the month charges?

TJ22 said:
Can I buy my own 811 and my own secondary satellite and install this crap myself and just pay the month charges?
Yes. And if you don't want VOOM, all you need is a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119.

What do I need if I want voom? A second satellite? Where can I get it?

So if I get a 811 and hook it up to my dish 500 it will take one feed from the dual to run my HDtv with SD channels and the other feed will be free to run my second TV still?

Yes. You could even feed two dual-tuner receivers by using the standard DPP Twin that comes with the Dish 1000, and DPP separators.

Oh, you mean use your existing DP Dual, yes that will work. But no VOOM with the Dish 500.

Yes I currently have 2 TVs and my HDTV on the way. At least I would like to have the HDTV and one standard TV working and if possible I would like to have both standard TVs working. Is this possible? I currently have the 322 dual tuner. I really even wouldnt mind if I had the same thing on both secondary tvs.

With your setup, if you don't want the $150 DPP44 switch, you might want to change out your DP dual for a DP quad. With that, you can get different channels on each set, and one output to spare.

If I get the dish 1000 can I get the hdtv with voom(using 811) and also run my 2 standard tvs(using 322)?

Also what does dish network care about whats on my side? Do they care if I replace the dish or do they care about how many tvs I run off there signal?

Lastly what about this 322? Do they want this back after my 12 months?

Thanks so very much for all this help, you guys have been great.

A1. Yes, the DPP-Twin that comes with the D1000 will allow yu to run the 322 using one feed and a DPP Separator, and the 811 just straight.

A2. No. No - but they DO care how many receivers.

A3. Only if you drop the service.

If you get the Dish 1000, I think you'd need the DPP44 switch, or a DP34 switch. The DPP Twin can only feed two receivers (I just looked it up on dishstore). Somebody else jump in here and correct me if I'm mistaken.

Don't know if Dish really cares about how many TV's you have, just how many receivers (up to 6).

If you lease an 811, you keep it as long as you have the HD Pak. I don't know about 322's.

Where is a good cheapo place to get that dish 1000 and whatever switches I need?

Ok I am not sure what all these things are you guys are speaking of. How bout this?

I get a dish 1000.
I can run 3 TVs (1 in HD and get Voom)
I get a 811 or 942.
What switches do I need?
What can I do with the dish 500?
Is the 322 mine after the 12 months?
I assume I will need to pay 9.99 for HDTV 5.00 for Voom and 5.00 for extra receiver? (20 more a month)