Buyers remorse about getting 1 Hopper vs 2 Hoppers?

I was just thinking if I were from some poor place in Africa maybe with barely one TV, and I was reading this thread of people needing 6 and 9 tuners, how would I feel??? Ok lets not get distracted by my thinking. LOL

I was just thinking if I were from some poor place in Africa maybe with barely one TV, and I was reading this thread of people needing 6 and 9 tuners, how would I feel??? Ok lets not get distracted by my thinking. LOL
When you go out to eat or cook a meal at home you simply eat only plain white rice and some chicken because people in some poor place in Africa may be lucky to eat that a few times a week, or do you actually do what you can with you can to make what you eat as enjoyable as possible?

When you buy a new car do you say, "never mind I will just ride a rusty bike because some poor guy in Africa may feel a certain way when he sees debating over which car is best for our needs"?

I can go on and on. But I think you get the point. I am wondering how some poor guy in Africa without a TV is able to get internet access and read what we are posting on here.

I was talking to the tech who replaced my hopper the other day and he said there's been more customers deciding later on that there's too many conflicts with just one hopper in their system. So, they're having to go back out and add a 2nd hopper to these installs.

Seems like one more Dish misstep in the making where customers aren't getting sold the right sized system.... even noticed a few posts about this on the forums here

I believe that they didn't include enough tuners in their hoppers too. I think that either they should of included 6 tuners or included two hopper integration from the start. But that isn't DISH's way of releasing new systems or receivers in the wild. They have a long history of releasing them with bugs , glitches , lack of future features promised or Hinted at, from the start. They then work to fix all of them using their customers as the guinea pigs or beta testers. They even use these web boards to field the questions, problems etc, so they can identify the problems and work to fix them. But I do hope that DISH gets to working on the lack of 2 hopper integration and the lack of ota tuner capability. I would like to think that by year's end they accomplish these two things so they can satisfy the majority of their customers needs. I would like to see the Hopper /Joey system become the best whole house dvr system out there. Because I want one too, once they get the ota and 2 hopper integration up and running. I can deal with the glitches and software bugs, just like I have every other new receiver system I have had with DISH,but ota and 2 hopper integration is a must have in my house , if I am going to replace my 722k and two 211ks with dvr software: 4 sat tuners & 4 ota tuners between all 3 receivers .

You say that as if Direct didn't do nearly the same thing! The speed and remote response issues are still alive and well in all the HR series of DVRs, and it is now going on 6 years!

Taking you at your word, until Dish gets the OTA and 2 Hopper integration working, you would be one unhappy camper if you upgraded now, imo.

If I were wanting to duplicate the 7 tuners I now have with a 722 and 722K, yeh, two hoppers would be a must. But what we have now is overkill...in terms of actual usage. Both are in single mode, one feeding one TV, the other mirroring to two (because those two are NEVER watched simultaneously). The 722K would easily handle our normal recording needs. But we mostly duplicate recordings on the 722 just for convenience sake. So, IF we ever go Hopper, it will be one hopper, one Joey. That's all we REALLY need (and will save $6 per). Like I said once before, 2 Hoppers "seem" better on paper. But each person needs to figure out if it really is. I'll bet many people have realized they spent 1 or 2 hundred dollars more than they needed to.

Last edited:
But I'd have to say I prefer the USB OTA tuner approach. Let someone else develop the hardware when/if ATSC standards change, and adapting it will be easy.

Well I hope you feel the same way after DISH brings out their product.I honestly can't see any flaw in their MT2 Dual Over The Air Tuners Module.I like the idea of the OTA tuners being embedded in my VIP922,but that's just my preference.It's great that DISH has so many choices.:)

I tried telling everyone 2 months ago before the hopper even came out that 3 tuners where not enough, and everyone jumped on my back saying I was bashing Dish.

I see your tech did mention that they where installing lots of second hoppers, I find it hard to believe that there are lots of people willing to pay $199.

The real question is how many of those second hoppers are being installed for free due to customer retention to stop customers from cancelling?

Got my 2nd one for 100..Not 199

datwell said:
Yup. Two Hoppers fits our viewing habits very well and with two TVs (LR & BR), what do we want with a Joey?

I am not convinced that Dish really thought this one through. I already have an EHD, so I can live without the full integration right away but we still have no need for a Joey. I know the Joey setup will work for many families - but for us, not so much.

We would love to have two Hoppers, but first, the policy must change.

Begging for 2 hoppers. Doesn't matter to me if they communicate with each other or not.

Begging for 2 hoppers. Doesn't matter to me if they communicate with each other or not.

It doesn't matter if you beg...Dish Network now has a 1 Hopper per account policy. They will not give you 2 Hoppers regardless of how long you have been a customer of theirs! They are basically telling people to go to DirecTV if you want 2 DVRs in your household. Apparently, the Dish executives thought it was a great idea for an entire household to fight over 2 or 3 tuners all the time!

In my opinion, Dish Network has made their biggest blunder in the entire history of their company. Their new Hopper along with their dumb*ss policies have forced me to switch to DirecTV!

It doesn't matter if you beg...Dish Network now has a 1 Hopper per account policy. They will not give you 2 Hoppers regardless of how long you have been a customer of theirs! They are basically telling people to go to DirecTV if you want 2 DVRs in your household. Apparently, the Dish executives thought it was a great idea for an entire house to fight over 2 or 3 tuners all the time!

Dish is requiring that each leased hopper get paired with at least one leased joey. There are ways to work around it though.

Whoever told you that it's one hopper per account is just wrong. A regular CSR may only allow 2 hoppers in a minimum 2H/2J config. Perhaps that's where a CSR gave you wrong information. Message someone at DIRT for correct information.

It doesn't matter if you beg...Dish Network now has a 1 Hopper per account policy. They will not give you 2 Hoppers regardless of how long you have been a customer of theirs! They are basically telling people to go to DirecTV if you want 2 DVRs in your household. Apparently, the Dish executives thought it was a great idea for an entire house to fight over 2 or 3 tuners all the time!

What wha? I WAS going to switch to Dish from DTV and when I was, I put that I had 5 TVs and there was an option for 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. That was 4 days ago. Is this a brand BRAND new policy? I can't believe they would do something like that, I mean even the people who don't realize at first that they only have 3 tuners for their 4 TVs or if they are recording two things and go down to 1 tuner for all the TVs in the house are going to be furious the first time they call tech support and have it explained to them.

If there really is a limit 1 per household on the Hopper then people are going to be jumping to DTV or even cable in droves at least IMO.

What wha? I WAS going to switch to Dish from DTV and when I was, I put that I had 5 TVs and there was an option for 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys.
some CSR just gave him wrong info... nothing new from what you were told a few days ago.

Y2J said:
It doesn't matter if you beg...Dish Network now has a 1 Hopper per account policy. They will not give you 2 Hoppers regardless of how long you have been a customer of theirs! They are basically telling people to go to DirecTV if you want 2 DVRs in your household. Apparently, the Dish executives thought it was a great idea for an entire household to fight over 2 or 3 tuners all the time!

In my opinion, Dish Network has made their biggest blunder in the entire history of their company. Their new Hopper along with their dumb*ss policies have forced me to switch to DirecTV!

Been married 24 years...sometimes I even grovel...if they don't give me what I want, I'll either change my want or wait till it all pans out.

We opted to add the 2nd Hopper (at $199.00+$15 to install) instead of two Joeys and have been happy ever since.
One Hopper would be fine if only one one person watches TV regularly and wants to move around the house watching their shows on the Joeys in various rooms.

If two people have their own, different "Favorite" shows to watch, you must have two (or more) Hoppers to avoid tension in the house over who gets to record what shows or watch live TV when.
It was a nightmare with only one, especially because we came from using AT&T UVerse where it works as expected and they recommend multiple DVR units for family's.

I don't believe Dish did any real-life testing to see how actual family users would use this system, else they would insist on recommending two Hoppers for family use.

The biggest problem we still have with the Hopper is you can't tell it not to use a tuner for recording, so it's very difficult to figure out live TV viewing along with the scheduler.

P.S. I had the 2nd Hopper installed on April 9th, 2012, so the policy then was you can have two.

And I never want the two Hoppers to "see" each other.
I can't imagine the headaches that would cause with the schedulers not being able to be told which tuner(s) to use.
In fact, I'm heading over to an online store right now and order up a few "Dish Isolators" in case Dish changes their mind on those too!

Last edited:
SMyers75 said:
We opted to add the 2nd Hopper (at $199.00+$15 to install) instead of two Joeys and have been happy ever since.
One Hopper would be fine if only one one person watches TV regularly and wants to move around the house watching their shows on the Joeys in various rooms.

If two people have their own, different "Favorite" shows to watch, you must have two (or more) Hoppers to avoid tension in the house over who gets to record what shows or watch live TV when.
It was a nightmare with only one, especially because we came from using AT&T UVerse where it works as expected and they recommend multiple DVR units for family's.

I don't believe Dish did any real-life testing to see how actual family users would use this system, else they would insist on recommending two Hoppers for family use.

The biggest problem we still have with the Hopper is you can't tell it not to use a tuner for recording, so it's very difficult to figure out live TV viewing along with the scheduler.

P.S. I had the 2nd Hopper installed on April 9th, 2012, so the policy then was you can have two.

And I never want the two Hoppers to "see" each other.
I can't imagine the headaches that would cause with the schedulers not being able to be told which tuner(s) to use.
In fact, I'm heading over to an online store right now and order up a few "Dish Isolators" in case Dish changes their mind on those too!

Question 1. I thought the second hopper was 99.00

Question 2. Are you saying you have 2 hoppers and no joeys

Question 1. I thought the second hopper was 99.00

Question 2. Are you saying you have 2 hoppers and no joeys
new customers get the first hopper completely free when signing up for top 200or above. The second hopper for new customers is $199.

Existing customers pay $100 for each hopper but no package requirements.

It basically ends up the same (unless you find a way to negotiate lower).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)