Buyers remorse about getting 1 Hopper vs 2 Hoppers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
sparc said:
new customers get the first hopper completely free when signing up for top 200or above. The second hopper for new customers is $199.

Existing customers pay $100 for each hopper but no package requirements.

It basically ends up the same (unless you find a way to negotiate lower).

Thanks. I think I got the money down now, still making sure I understood him correctly when he said he chose a second hopper instead of joeys..kinda getting the impression he has a 2 hopper / 0 Joey setup..if so he could be my new hero

some CSR just gave him wrong info... nothing new from what you were told a few days ago.

If by "some CSR" you mean a person from the Dish executive office, then you would be correct! The guy specially told me that Dish Network has issued a mandatory freeze on the number of Hoppers that all customers can now get with the limit being 1...regardless if they are a new customer or existing subscriber.

Apparently, demand is high for the crippled Hopper system for some unknown reason and they will allow more than one Hopper sometime in the future.

Like I previously stated, Dish Network has become a complete joke as they are the only provider who doesn't allow a person to upgrade to their latest equipment and have a DVR for each room. Completely unacceptable in my book!

Question 1. I thought the second hopper was 99.00

Question 2. Are you saying you have 2 hoppers and no joeys

I was told it is $199.00 plus another $15.00 for the install.
I looked at my online account and that's what they charged me.

I now have two Hoppers, one Joey, one HIC and one Sling Adapter.

The one Joey can switch between the two Hoppers manually and I like it that way, but it's my understanding that when they "Upgrade" the system and force me into using the Isolators I just ordered, the Joey will only see one of them.
I'm OK with that, although I would prefer they left it the way it is now..

SMyers75 said:
I was told it is $199.00 plus another $15.00 for the install.
I looked at my online account and that's what they charged me.

I now have two Hoppers, one Joey, one HIC and one Sling Adapter.

The one Joey can switch between the two Hoppers manually and I like it that way, but it's my understanding that when they "Upgrade" the system and force me into using the Isolators I just ordered, the Joey will only see one of them.
I'm OK with that, although I would prefer they left it the way it is now..

Aw...lol

I’m one of those people who got talked into a 1 Hopper/2 Joey configuration and should have known better. I had a 722k (with the OTA module) and two 211’s with the EHD so we could record shows, giving us the capability to record up to 6 shows at once. The agent kept telling me that with PTAT and the other two tuners, I would be realistically be recording 6 shows at the same time and would be able to watch them on any of the TV's in our house.

We used the 211’s to record stuff in the two bedrooms (Chelsea, The Daily Show, The Soup, etc.) so we could watch them in bed. In the family room where the 722k is, we would use the satellite tuners to record the shows that were only available via satellite, and the OTA tuners for to network stuff.

I think the big problem is because of the electronic guide, most people don’t pay attention to which network a show is on. We record 4 or five shows during the week that, as it turned out, is on the CW which isn’t part of PTAT. Because of that, there are some nights that I need two tuners to record ‘network’ programs because Dish doesn’t recognize the CW as a network.

I should have followed my instincts last week when I called to cancel Dish and shouldn’t have been allowed myself to get talked into a free install. Now I have three options, I can leave things the way they are and stop watching some to the shows we use to watch, pay $199 to have a 2nd Hopper installed which would make my 'free' system a $199 system, or go back to my old system, which Dish will allow me to do, but I still get stuck with the 2 year agreement. Can’t blame anyone but myself.

As an existing customer, your 2nd Hopper should be $99, not $199.

Might be a good argument to reduce the second one, but he did get the first one free through retentions. Maybe as some sort of match to the new customer promos???

I think the big problem is because of the electronic guide, most people don’t pay attention to which network a show is on. We record 4 or five shows during the week that, as it turned out, is on the CW which isn’t part of PTAT. Because of that, there are some nights that I need two tuners to record ‘network’ programs because Dish doesn’t recognize the CW as a network.

Even with PTAT, you still have two more tuners available to record CW or whatever.

$199 clarification. It would be $100 for the Hopper and $99 for the installation. I can reduce the installation charge to $15 if I sign up for he service plan (and need to keep it for 4 months) which I don't have today.

$199 clarification. It would be $100 for the Hopper and $99 for the installation. I can reduce the installation charge to $15 if I sign up for he service plan (and need to keep it for 4 months) which I don't have today.
well that's not bad... so $139 and you'll still have gotten it $61 cheaper than most every other existing customer since you got the first one free.

So I am planning to switch to Dish on Wednesday. First, for all those thinking DirecTV is the answer to everything I have been on DirecTV for 8 years (switched when Dish wanted to charge me $149 for a new receiver DirecTV would give me for free). DirecTV wants to charge me $650 to upgrade to their Whole Home Program, so on my end, it seems like a pretty good deal that existing customers get 2 hoppers and 3 joeys for around $100-$200 with Dish.

Anyway, I'm still having the internal debate about 1 versus 2 hoppers. We are only a 3 TV household. I think with PTAT we SHOULD be okay, since most of our viewing is of recorded programs, but my experience has told me that if we might need a second hopper in the future, it would be better to just pay and get it now.

Of course, everyone connected to Dish has been trying to talk me into the 1 hopper/2 joey setup. We are planning to go with a local guy here in our small town. He is asserting that if I am unsure about needing the second hopper that I would be better off waiting a few months. He claims that if I just wait 4-5 months, I will be upgrade eligible and the upgrade from the joey to the hopper will only cost $99, instead of the $199 it would be now. The only thing would be I would have to extend my contract so it went a full two years from that point.

What do you think? Right now, 3 tuners is probably enough because my three boys are little, and like I said, my husband and I watch very little live TV. As the boys get older we may need more, but not for a while. I guess I'm just nervous because even with our basic setup right now we have 5 tuners, so going to 3 is scary, whether we really need five or not. Are there considerations besides the fact that the install guy may not be adding in the install fee some people are being charged during the upgrade (anywhere from $15 to $99 it appears) ? For example, I know very little about wiring and setup, but will they make me buy anything additional to get the second hopper (like a dual node) that would have been free if I did it now?

So I am planning to switch to Dish on Wednesday. First, for all those thinking DirecTV is the answer to everything I have been on DirecTV for 8 years (switched when Dish wanted to charge me $149 for a new receiver DirecTV would give me for free). DirecTV wants to charge me $650 to upgrade to their Whole Home Program, so on my end, it seems like a pretty good deal that existing customers get 2 hoppers and 3 joeys for around $100-$200 with Dish.

Anyway, I'm still having the internal debate about 1 versus 2 hoppers. We are only a 3 TV household. I think with PTAT we SHOULD be okay, since most of our viewing is of recorded programs, but my experience has told me that if we might need a second hopper in the future, it would be better to just pay and get it now.

Of course, everyone connected to Dish has been trying to talk me into the 1 hopper/2 joey setup. We are planning to go with a local guy here in our small town. He is asserting that if I am unsure about needing the second hopper that I would be better off waiting a few months. He claims that if I just wait 4-5 months, I will be upgrade eligible and the upgrade from the joey to the hopper will only cost $99, instead of the $199 it would be now. The only thing would be I would have to extend my contract so it went a full two years from that point.

What do you think? Right now, 3 tuners is probably enough because my three boys are little, and like I said, my husband and I watch very little live TV. As the boys get older we may need more, but not for a while. I guess I'm just nervous because even with our basic setup right now we have 5 tuners, so going to 3 is scary, whether we really need five or not. Are there considerations besides the fact that the install guy may not be adding in the install fee some people are being charged during the upgrade (anywhere from $15 to $99 it appears) ? For example, I know very little about wiring and setup, but will they make me buy anything additional to get the second hopper (like a dual node) that would have been free if I did it now?

I recently switched as well from Direct and went Two Hopper/one Joey for the piece of mind with no tuner conflicts. The Joey is in a bedroom, so it's not watched a lot, but it's hooked up to the hoper in our den/basement area so that works out well. Plus when the hoppers can communicate with each other it will be a even better system and best to get it now as a new customer as you get the best price. When I called dish they as well wanted to go one hopper/two Joey but I also brought up the fact that if one hopper goes out you can't watch tv with the joeys.

I recommend going with the Two hopper/one Joey set up

Don't be surprised there have been current DISH subscribers who wanted to upgrade but was quoted the same price or more here.:eek::rant:

Always,always,always get everything you need with the original installation otherwise it will costs you more.You have 5 tuners now? Always get more tuners,always.Better to have extra than not enough.Good Luck! and Welcome to the DISH Forum!:welcome

Someone else might have covered this, if so, sorry. But I think a lot of people are missing the point. This system is a Whole Home DVR. Aside from sports why is anyone watching live TV? If everyone wants to watch live all the time than get 4x211s or 2 2x222s etc. I ran 4 TVs in my house with a family of 4 on 1 722 for years and it worked fine, now with 1H/2J it is even better. With PTAT and my other timers set there is always something to watch and I don't care how many tuners are being used for recordings, I am not watching live TV. Maybe one TV will be watching live TV, with out a problem.

Originally I didn't think PTAT would be useful till I saw the 1st 9 timers my wife and Daughter set up were all covered by it. Occasionally I do like to just see whats on to have some noise in the background. If there isn't an open tuner, I'll watch what someone else is watching or the DVR.

Brad

I also switched from Direct. I went with 2 hoppers/1 Joey. When I watch tv, I switch between the buffers all the time. If you use both buffers on 2 HRs, I also would recommend 2H/1J. You know it will cost 199 now for the 2nd hopper, but you don't for sure what an upgrade will cost later. They will run 3 lines from the dish to the DUO node now for 2 hoppers. They will run 2 lines to the solo node from the dish for the single hopper. You will like Hopper, I prefer it over the HRs.

If by "some CSR" you mean a person from the Dish executive office, then you would be correct! The guy specially told me that Dish Network has issued a mandatory freeze on the number of Hoppers that all customers can now get with the limit being 1...regardless if they are a new customer or existing subscriber.

Apparently, demand is high for the crippled Hopper system for some unknown reason and they will allow more than one Hopper sometime in the future.

Like I previously stated, Dish Network has become a complete joke as they are the only provider who doesn't allow a person to upgrade to their latest equipment and have a DVR for each room. Completely unacceptable in my book!

Have a little axe to grind, do we?

There is no such 1 Hopper per subscriber limit and never has been. People can get 1 to 3 Hoppers. Today. Yesterday. And tomorrow. Posts abound where people are reporting multiple Hoppers installed in their homes.

Crippled? In your mind, maybe, but very few others. Only to people who do not, or do not want to, understand the system. By your own admission, demand is high. How could someone swallow the claim that such demand is for anything other than excellent equipment?

The Hopper/Joey does in fact allow the latest equipment in each room, and the DVR function in each room. You just don't need to have the spinning disk in that room.

Your use of loaded words such as "crippled" and "joke" and the spreading of disinformation will achieve you little. Today, most folks have wised up to such tactics and continue to read more than just emotional diatribes.

Ah, rising to troll bait is a bad thing, yet I do it now and then.

Nope. One dish, 3 hoppers, just need switches. Posted here somewhere. Not likely to ever see seamless between all three, unless they come out with a triple node. I won't be holding my breath, but if the market indicates money on the table, then.......

On mine, it was $199.00 for the 2nd Hopper and $15.00 for the installation.
I was told that since my account was only two weeks old, I was still considered a "New Customer"

It all works out in the same in the end because I paid nothing for the 1st one.

On mine, it was $199.00 for the 2nd Hopper and $15.00 for the installation.
I was told that since my account was only two weeks old, I was still considered a "New Customer"

It all works out in the same in the end because I paid nothing for the 1st one.

Thanks for that. My husband feels strongly we won't need the second hopper, so if we immediately realize it was a mistake - at least the fix isn't that much more. Good to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)