Buying TVs online...

mattnstacy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
I've been able to find some VERY good deals online lately. Has anyone ever done this? I just couldn't see not looking at the picture first, even though store feeds aren't the best either.

Office Depot has a 46" Westinghouse for 899 right now.

Any advice for buying online?

Thx

There are good and bad to buying online.

The good is that you can usually find a better deal (amazon.com). With free shipping and no tax. Also you will get a updated version of a particular tv on Amazon. Meaning if there was a firmware glitch on the set, you will have the newest version.

The bad is you will have to ship it back for an exchange or refund. Where at a retail store you can just take it back. Most b and m stores will allow a 10 to 14 day money back no question ask refund.

I bought my 62" Toshiba from tigerdirect (through Amazon). I looked at the TV first at Bestbuy. It was sent freight and overall it was a good experience. I would do it again. I probably saved hundreds of dollars.

That's what I'm considering. Looking at the Westiinghouse at Best Buy and then finding a better deal online.

I am very happy with my online buying experience from TV Authority. I got a great HDTV at a great price. However, if you go to their web site today, here's what you see:

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING ANY UNFILLED ORDER FROM TV AUTHORITY, PLEASE CALL THE SANTA MONICA CITY ATTORNEY’S OFFICE AT (310) 458-8336 ATTN.: PAULA ROCKENSTEIN

A few years ago I bought a 34" CRT HDTV from Beach Audio through Amazon marketplace. The TV arrived busted up (as if it had been dropped), I refused delivery, immediately contacted the Beach Audio manager who sent me out a new one right away, which arrived in a few days. Good service.

PS A year or so later he contacted me because he was having trouble getting reimbursed from the insurace company for the "loss." I gladly wrote him a letter to give to them explaining what had happened.

Trying to pick between an LCD (Samsung 4669F) and Plasma (Panasonic 50PX77U).
This will be my first HDTV. Wondering which technology or model will be more "future proof". And what do people feel about extended warranties?

Thanks.

Bought my new Sammy 61" online at NewEgg.com, saved hundred's of dollars and they even sent me a HDMI at no charge! Did view the tv at Sears right next to the 60" Sony SXRD, bought the Sammy! It was a good expierence and would buy online again! :)

You can also try this ---

If you have concerns about buying online, try this. It is what I did, but that was over 3 years ago.

First, I went online, and found the model I wanted (I got a 60" Panny LCD projection). Then I shopped online to find the best price. I made sure it was a reputable dealer. There were some who had a slightly lower price, but were not BizRated.

Then I went to Sears, to see if they sold the same model. Sears has (or at least had) a policy of matching online prices if it was a legitimate business that also had a b & m facility somewhere. Sears agreed to match the price I found online.

But Sears was about 30 miles from my home. I found another electronics store (since bought out by Ultimate Electronics) that also had that model. They would not match the online price. But I told them that Sears would, and I was going to Sears if they would not match. So, even though they would not match online price, they DID match the Sears price, which was the match of an online price.

This way, I got my TV from a local b & m, at the online price. And I had to pay tax, but no shipping (I picked it up myself). The price at Sears or the other store was over $3500. I paid $2600.

Good luck.

Trying to pick between an LCD (Samsung 4669F) and Plasma (Panasonic 50PX77U).
This will be my first HDTV. Wondering which technology or model will be more "future proof". And what do people feel about extended warranties?

Thanks.

Might be best to figure they are obsolete the day you get them. There will be better LCDs down the road. Kuros will get cheaper. OLEDs will (probably) enter the market. Whole new technologies may emerge. Plasma was declining but has staged a major comeback, delivering a better picture than many thought possible.

But whichever one you get, will still work in the future. The only problem may be that your eyes get huge when you see what they're selling 5 years from now. Or 10. Even if one or both of these technologies disappear, your particular TV will still work with anything likely to be thrown at them for most, if not all, of the rest of your life. It can move to your bedroom or other secondary location when you install that new holosuite you'll be buying one day!

Extended warranties. I generally view them as a waste of money. However, I have some troublesome appliances and have put them all under one large extended warranty blanket. Some people have felt comforted by an extended warranty on a TV. I would suggest that if there is no problem during the manufacturer's warranty period, it is unlikely there will be a problem for many years. That's how I view extended warranties for electronics. Others, of course, think differently.

Plasma was declining but has staged a major comeback, delivering a better picture than many thought possible.

No kidding. I was all set to get a new LCD, but now plasma is in the race again. Great turnaround with the new technologies from both Pioneer and Panasonic.

I bought all three of my LCD sets "On-Line" from TVsDepot - LCD, Plasma and Projection Televisions Center and was very pleased. I used my Visa card that doubled the manufacturer's warranty. They did want to sell me their extended warranty, and called me on each of my purchases. Did a lot of research on the best set and prices at that time, which can change daily! From what I have read most LCD sets are good for 10 years. Could not be happier and did not want to wait for lower prices. Enjoy today, tomorrow may never come is the way I live my life. Yes this was about a year ago or so, and prices have really dropped since then, but we have enjoyed all three of these sets that are hooked to D* & E* DVRs in HT room.

I bought a 32" refurb Westinghouse from buy.com for $469 last April.

Note: I originally wrote 37". I meant 32".

Last edited:
I think I'm looking at getting the Panny 50PZ77U. Prices have dropped on some online vendors. I'm hoping amazon follows. I would like a 30 return policy if possible on non defective items. Abe's has a great price but only offers a return if it's defective. I haven't been able to find this tv in a store yet. I saw a 42" in a store but it was right next to lights up by the ceiling. I want to avoid motion blur all together and not have the reflectiveness of a normal plasma. This seemed like the perfect fit.

Well, I caught the 1599 deal at Frys.com for the Panny 50pz77u and pulled the trigger. Now the worry sets in until I get a look at the darn thing. Hopefully everything works out. Wanted to used amazon but they were still over 2000 on this tv.

Wish me luck.

Sorry, being a girl about this. I know I need to check the tv over pretty good when it's delivered. Should I actually unpack it and turn it on while the delivery people are here?

I've just never bought a huge item like this online so forgive my ignorance.

Sorry, being a girl about this. I know I need to check the tv over pretty good when it's delivered. Should I actually unpack it and turn it on while the delivery people are here?

I've just never bought a huge item like this online so forgive my ignorance.

YES!!!! unpack in front of driver. You can refuse. Once driver is gone and you have the goods, your out!!!!! I made 3 large TV purchases online and they all had a happy ending. 1 more thing, "big driveway or road", 99% of time they come in a tractor trailer or very large truck. I had to meet the driver out on the highway 1 time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)