Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi All,
I've lived with some confusion for a while and am hoping to get it cleared up here.

At NPS (example below) I see the following channels listed as C-band. I've always thought that digital=ku. So the channels below are digital, but c-band? My C (not ku) lnb picks them up?

ADDITIONAL C-BAND CHANNELS
Court TV - East C3 580
Court TV - West C3 582
BBC America C3 700
HGTV (West) C3 600
Food Channel (East)

The above channels are digital, but are C-band and as such still use 5+feet of my dish ...and not just the center 18"?

Am I correct that ANY analog C-band signal uses up an entire transponder, and that anything above 24 is digital?

THanks
Jerry

C-band and Ku band are just the set of frequencies that the satellites broadcast on. Either frequency band can broadcast digital signals. Analog signals take up one whole transponder, whereas digital channels allow a transponder to store multiple channels. C-band channels digital or analog use the same big dish. Of course Ku band channels that are digital or analog can use the same C-band dish as well as long as the mesh is close enough together without large gaping holes.

JerryK said:
Am I correct that ANY analog C-band signal uses up an entire transponder, and that anything above 24 is digital?

analog uses up the whole TP...correct

But digital can be on any TP. C-band only goes to TP24 whereas KU can go up to 32.

Yeah, Iceberg is right, you'll need a 4DTV receiver if you intend to receive anything digital on Ku or C-band. If you're interested in getting free (in the clear) channels off of satellites that are digital, then you would need a DVB FTA receiver.

Thanks guys, that helps a TON. I do have a dsr922 and have been running c/ku and NPS' AD pkg for almost a year, just wanted some clarification.

A few posts up, Iceberg said something interesting....
"C-band only goes to TP24 whereas KU can go up to 32."

I assume he meant C-band Analog? and the Ku-32 stmt....did he mean KU analog? I suppose Ku could be analog, but didn't know anyone actually was broadcasting Ku in analog.

Very interesting.

There are only 24 transponders on a C-Band satellite...there are 32 on a KU band satellite :)

During sports seasons, there are TONS of analog KU :)

The dsr922 will receive both c and ku but you need a ku feed from the dish, that is, a ku feed horn and ku lnb. I use a feed horn that is a corotor with 2 lnb's on it. One for Ku and one for C band and it works well. Is that what you have? Do you get satellite X4? It's Ku band and there is a lot of free music and some free TV on it too. The guys are right, there are a lot of free Ku sports feeds in season.

Thanks again to all. I've watched quite a few feeds thus far (Pistons game 1 was great!), and my equipment just worked on whatever channel I needed. Good to know what's going on "under the hood".

One more question, (PM me if that's more appropriate). Are there significantly more sports feeds via dvb than I can get with my dsr922? I've considered adding an fta box, but don't want to buy one and find out I can only watch cheesy foreign stuff.

thx,
-j

One more channel, would be one more channel. Although one channel may not be significant, it may be the one you're looking for. But, there are lots and lots more DVB out there (not necessarily sports). I would have to say "Yes" to answer your question. But too, you'll probably find more MLB on analog, but you can find baseball on DVB, just not as much, it could be the one you're looking for though.

Al

one word Jerry

YES!!! Well worth it!!

as Voomvoom noted, one more channel is one channel....Heck, I added a 6 foot C-band dish for the 4 networks on G4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, WB/UPN from Virgin islands/Puerto Rico)...I normally use KU only.

Thanks, the decision to add dvb has been a bit of a catch-22.... cant access WUT without a dvb rcvr...and yet seeing WUT could help precipitate the decision :)

I'll cross my fingers and start budgeting.

Clarification......Analogue does not necessarily take up a complete Transponder...Analogue takes more Bandwidth than digital per channel, only. You must consider the Bandwidth of the Transponder itself. Common B/W is 36 Mhz but you will find 54 Mhz, 64 Mhz transponders. One can place 2 Analogue feeds on one transponder with a reduced Deviation produced from the Modulator. B-MAC used to occupy 10.75 Mhz of Deviation at it's Max giving way to 21.5 Mhz of total B/W utilized. NBC SNG's used to operate at a total of 27 Mhz of B/W stacking 2 cxr's per Transponder@ 3dB back-off. Of course as the Sat industry has changed in relationship to Analogue and Digital but stating the Analogue is whole transponder is only generalizing the concept and not accurately illustrating the capability.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)