C-band lnbf questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
Does a quality C-band lnbf with a 13 Kelvin noise and 65-68 db gain exist? Seems when you get down to that low noise figure the best gain is around 55 db.

Looking for a very low noise and high gain lnbf for a small dish project, gospell best I can find and chaparell 17K and 65 db gain.

One other question, and I know it has been asked several months ago. Has anyone found a supplier selling to the US for the Gospell GCF-D12A dual output lnbf? Not sure I want to go to the added effort of a bandstacked unit. Want to run my DSR920 on one output and my Coolsat on the second.

the 4DTV units dont work with a bandstacked LNB because the H polarities are at different frequencies and the 4DTV's have a set group of frequencies

Here is what I mean. The 4DTV's have a set LNB LO of 5150. The bandstacked LNB's have a low LNB LO of 5150 for vertical and high of 5750 for horizontal. Since the 4DTV cant select 5750 it defaults to 5150. The H transponders are 600 mhz below what they "should" be.

example. World Harvest TV is at 4000 H 26400. Since the Quali-Tv can only select 5150 I have to enter WHTV as 3400 H 26400 for it to work. The 4DTV cant figure that part out.

Thanks Iceberg. Thats what I thought about the 4DTV receivers but wasn't sure. I may have a line on a small 6 foot bud for free, but still want to run both the DSR920 and my Coolsat 5000 on the same dish for C-band. That is why I am looking into a dual C-band lnbf for that project. I am using the DSR920 to slave the dish and pick up some of the free channels, but also want the DVB channels the Coolsat can pick up. The digiwave dual seems to be of lesser quality, but may have to go that route if I can even procure that. And before anyone says anything about a 6 footer being to small to fully enjoy all c-band programming, I already know, but its free and my only cost will be for the lnb.

Also for my second project; want to put two lnbs on a single dish 1 meter, the Invacom for KU and a quality C-band lnbf. I had good results with the 1 meter offset dish and the BSC621 for C-band (but kills all KU reception), and that was with a single c/ku lnb setup. I figure the offset of the additional lnb will decrease the quality of signal I can get on C-band and need all the help I can get. I am not sure what the noise figure is for the 621, only spec I found was a typical gain of 65 db. I am trying to push the limits on mini bud (c-band) testing.

Digiwave Dual output C band LNBF

Since SatelliteAV stopped selling his C2 two-output C-band LNBF, we've been scrambling for a successor.

The Digiwave is hard to find.
I looked and looked, and finally gave up.

Couple of days ago, one of the guys... and I can't remember if it was VoomVoom or Gabshere, found a place to purchase it.
The sellers other prices look a bit high, so if you can locate it for less, do clue us in. - :cool:

If you get one, give us some feedback (or write a little review if you like).
I'm sure many others will be happy to hear anything you have to say about it. - :up

the thing about lnbs/lnbfs to consider is :
1.stability or how much frequency drift it has
2. Noise temperature
3. Gain

Many member on this board have older higher temp lnbs that are very stable and actually outperform the lower temp unstable units.

The more stable the lnb is - the more it costs. You can spend 300.00 on a highly stable low temp norsat lnb (not lnbf).

Most members including myself have good results with cheaper units like the dmsi bsc-211's.
they are 13 degree and 1 mhz drift. the stability is not that great compared to the DRO and PLL norsats but how can i argue with that since i spent 10.00 for the dmsi's on ebay.

I can still lock very hard to get feeds such as the g3 equity feeds with 7/8 fec's.
I can lock HBO/Max channels on G1 (4DTV) almost 90% quality on a dsr-905

I am happy with them

I have some old astrotel 20 degree c band lnbf's that do a great job.
So don't concentrate too much on noise temp alone.

I am using a large c-band dish 10', so I can get away with cheaper lnbs and get good performance. Using smaller c-band reflectors would probably benefit a bit from quieter more stable lnbs.

back in the old days of c-band people had 100 degree lnbs which required dishes of 12'. A large reflector to gather as much clean signal as possible before the internal noise of the lnb itself distorted the signal before it got to the receiver.

Your smaller dish is going to be more noisy than a larger one in a manner of speaking getting more adjacent satellite interference from its wider beamwidth seeing more sky not as focused. Your quieter more stable lnb would be a bit of benefit in my opinion.

Since SatelliteAV stopped selling his C2 two-output C-band LNBF, we've been scrambling for a successor.

The Digiwave is hard to find.
I looked and looked, and finally gave up.

Couple of days ago, one of the guys... and I can't remember if it was VoomVoom or Gabshere, found a place to purchase it.
The sellers other prices look a bit high, so if you can locate it for less, do clue us in. - :cool:

If you get one, give us some feedback (or write a little review if you like).
I'm sure many others will be happy to hear anything you have to say about it. - :up

This was the same site I found yesterday, I have spent hours surfing the internet for one of these and is the only place I found as well. There is a company in Australia or New Zeland that manufactures some real odd ball C-band LNBs but don't know how you can order them and at what cost.

There was one particular C-band LNBF I came across a year ago that was very expensive that advertized as 13 Kelvin 65min to 72 max db with 68 typical gain with excelent stability. But you never can tell, its just advertizement and you might shell out a ton of money for junk. I went looking for that LNBF yesterday but haven't been able to find it again.

I won't be purchasing a dual lnbf for a few months, hope some one tests this before I buy. If and when I do get something setup I will write a review of its performance.

You may be better off just getting a dual c band feedhorn mounting seperate horizontal and verticle lnbs on it running two coaxes down to a multiswitch. I think you would actually get a little better performance. It will also be easier to find.

If you were just looking for something quick 'n easy, the voltage controlled Digiwave, extinct SatAV C2, or the supposed equal Gospell, would be interesting.
Especially at $20. ;) But at $40+, it's time to keep an open mind.
So, if you have trouble finding the above, OR really DO need better performance, Truckracer has an excellent point! - :up

Since you are not in a hurry, keep an eye out for the feedhorn and some C-band LNBs.
I'm thinking you can put that together for $60..$100 (as long as you don't go crazy).

Here's the first dual feedhorn I found, and that was without serious shopping.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts