c band on 36"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

krisman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
tn
has anyone ever had any luck picking up c band on a 36"?

ive heard stories, so i know someone has to have had some luck picking up some channels.

a search would have found results too ;)

but yes it can be done. I had one for a while but upgraded to a 6 footer :D

Will you get a couple really strong channels? yes
will you keep them stable so they dont go out in a cloud cover? maybe
is it a fun tinkering project? sure

but a 6 footer is better...heck even a 4 footer would be better. There are a few folks here with 1.2m dishes and C-band LNB's

Ice I was just speaking with stogie on this same thing. I just got a c band LNB and I am itchin to hook it up to something, just to play with until spring when I devote my time to my birdview. I would not be looking at this as a final fix but something to play with, after all this is a hobby. I can more than likely get a 1.2m tomorrow to start testing the waters with. Do you think I can learn something from doing this or should I leave it alone? The weather here is suppose to be pretty saturday and I was thinking about going getthe second birdview either sat or sunday. I promised one to 14K but he caint come and get it for a while, possiably after spring. I just know I can get a 1.2 tomorrow and work on it sunday if effort it worth it, wether it be learning or watching tv its all the same to me. As I said this is a hobby.

I can more than likely get a 1.2m tomorrow to start testing the waters with. Do you think I can learn something from doing this or should I leave it alone? .

If I had my hands on a 4 foot dish by all means try it out. I know of a few folks on here who use 4 foot dishes and get a fair amount of C-Band stuff.

Like I say...if I had one :D I tried on my 40x30 primestar and got a few channels but I always seemed to have issues with it. I did get a few channels on 121W pretty good. But its always fun to test the limits of what we can pick up. I've tried KU on a 18" dish and had decent results..mainly the really strong signals.

Maybe when it gets wamer here (oh April or so) I might try it again. But when it is cold out ya kinda work on projects that dont take a lot of time ;)

im thinking about getting a c band dish, was neding help from you guys on what size to get and where to get it the cheapest, i think shipping will kill me so ill need the best price. dont need a receiver, i already have one. i think it would be worth it to get nbc cw and cbs and a few more sports and movie channels. i dont know if rigging a ku to get c band will be a good thing for me to get into. especially if the channels come and go.

im thinking about getting a c band dish, was neding help from you guys on what size to get and where to get it the cheapest, i think shipping will kill me so ill need the best price. dont need a receiver, i already have one. i think it would be worth it to get nbc cw and cbs and a few more sports and movie channels. i dont know if rigging a ku to get c band will be a good thing for me to get into. especially if the channels come and go.

The cheapest way is to go hunt one up locally and ask if the owner wants you to haul it off...for free. :)

Have you looked around where you live?

you'll get it but...

oh you'll get stuff. but it will disappear with a cloud, or not hold. just too much interference, or noise. trust me, i tinkered with it for weeks, but like ice says, it's really not worth it. you can get signal on a wok (search for it), but stability is not a part of that experiment. get a six footer. the adreneline you get from finding a c signal (finally) is a real buzz kill when it is tiny and disappears. get the six, and it stays, and you are in c band heaven!

agreed

I have 2 Fortec 6 footers. Got them from Sadoun and shipping is only 35-40 bucks which aint bad (it comes in pieces). Have one at 99W and one that is ghetto moved.

get the six, and it stays, and you are in c band heaven!
yes it is :D

i dont really know of anyone in my area that has a cband dish. i do have a few questions.
1. ku dish wont pick up c band, but c band dish will pick up ku?

2. i saw where you guys said that a 240 cm 6 ft dish wouldnt pick up much/ so i should be looking for a 1.8m 6 ft dish?

3. what brand is best?

4. i have an old primestar dish, would that pick up anything?

i dont really know of anyone in my area that has a cband dish. i do have a few questions.
1. ku dish wont pick up c band, but c band dish will pick up ku?

2. i saw where you guys said that a 240 cm 6 ft dish wouldnt pick up much/ so i should be looking for a 1.8m 6 ft dish?

3. what brand is best?

4. i have an old primestar dish, would that pick up anything?

1. Most Ku-Band dishes won't pick up C-Band very well (or at all) due to their small size. Ku-Band does not require as large a dish as C-Band. If you want to try C-Band on a smaller dish, you'll have to use a C-Band LNB on it. Larger dishes with C-Band LNBs can also receive Ku IF the mesh on the dish is fine enough to reflect the higher frequencies of Ku (holes smaller than a #2 pencil) and a Ku LNB is installed.

2. A 240 CM (~8 foot) dish has no problems at all receiving all but the very weakest of C-Band signals. A 180 CM (~6 foot) dish will receive most of whats up there.

3. Lots of guys here like Birdviews and Paraclipses for big dishes. I have a Perfect 10 7.5 foot that I'm getting ready to install, and its well-built. Iceberg has good results with his 180 CM Fortec, a dish which is still manufactured and available from Sadoun.

4. A Primestar is a very good performer for receiving Ku-Band signals. Some guys are experimenting with installing C-Band LNBs on them, but you won't get most of the C-Band up there with a dish the size of a Primestar.

Hope this helps...

I would recommend the minimum size of 180cm dish for C-Band. You don't want to waste your time and money on smaller dishes. Iceberg had reported on his 180cm dish experience and as far as I can remember, he pretty much gets every C-band channel available, except for maybe a couple.

yep. Pretty much. The ones I have issues on are
-channels with 7/8 FEC. Equity on G3 I have issues but there is only a couple channels there now
-it isnt the best for 4DTV stations but works just fine for DVB

Havent tried DVB-S2 on it in a while but could have some issues.

I tried it on my 30" fortec. I got analog C-Band some watchable with noise and exactly 1 digital signal.

I have wondered since then what would have of happened if I had turned the LNB around and just pointed it at the satellite. I would guess it would be much the same results.

Wholeshoe

I tried once with a 36 inch steel dish, I was able to get a few sats to show up on the birdog meter. I could only scan in a few on the fta box, but you can probably get quite a bit analog though!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts