Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tony-d

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Fl
Hi guys

I was watching a video from 2010 where they put a C-Bang LNB on a KU dish. (Kit from the fridge FTA.)

I understand they are no more. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts on it? I am not using My KU band system much as I find very little on there. I thought this might be a good way to get a little more out of it? But I don’t know. The way it’s going now I’d just as soon remove it so I don’t have to cut around it all spring and summer. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Tony

Tony,
There are many threads here at SatelliteGuys on receiving C-Band on a smaller dish designed for Ku.
You will be very limited to what you can receive depending on the size of your dish.
You will need to obtain not only a C-Band LNBF but also a conical scalar and mounting kit. I sell the whole bundle in my store if you want to go look at what I am talking about.
You would then mount this to your Ku dish. It will not be no where near as reliable as a proper C-Band dish of course, but a lot of people do enjoy some C-Band this way.
They call themselves "Mini-Budders". :)
Remind me again which dish you have? Size?

20170214_154838-1-jpg.124552

Look for " Danristheman" He has many posts on thew subject. His dish pictured above :)

Reactions: MosFET77
ke4est carries conical scalars and Titanium C-Band LNBFs in his store. Get yourself one of those setup and find out what you can get. :)

Wow, I have a geosatpro 36" / 90cm dish.
Thanks
90 cm wont work, at least mine didnt work in any of the testing i have done. I had limited success with a commercial 1.2m dish, but i think a lot of the problem for that dish is the lnb holder and support rods, proper angle of the lnbf, and distance from focal point. I really want to invest in a geosat pro 1.2m but 300 bucks is kinda steep for something im just going to play with for a while and then put off the the side, especially considering how much i have already spent in the last 9 months.

a lot of the problem for that dish is the lnb holder and support rods, proper angle of the lnbf, and distance from focal point. I really want to invest in a geosat pro 1.2m but 300 bucks is kinda steep for something im just going to play with
I, personally, do not agree here! Take Channel Master 1,2m or GeosatPro from second-hand market for something like 50 bucks, clean it and it will work like new. Motorize it, and you will have all arc covered. Yes, position of the LNB is important, but that is doable. Think that 1.2m is too small.... take 1.8m Channel Master, that will, for sure, work perfectly in both Ku and C bands. LNB-holders and support rods are all pretty easy to make... just do not be afraid.

I havent messed with it a lot to be honest. I do get all the ku signals with that 1.2m dish but have had just intermittent hits when using a c-band lnbf. Its on the to do list to mess with just havent got to that part of the list yet. And its really heavy to boot so if i eventually figure out what i can get with it id want a lighter dish to put on a motor.

I live in apartment so I use my 4 footer it did alright when less interference from adjacent satellites and power reduction. My thing is this if you live like me and can't have a 10 footer or want something to play around with then go ahead. If you can get a 10 footer then get one but if not time to break out the minibud. I will help out as much as I can if needed advice may come around.

I live in apartment so I use my 4 footer it did alright when less interference from adjacent satellites and power reduction. My thing is this if you live like me and can't have a 10 footer or want something to play around with then go ahead. If you can get a 10 footer then get one but if not time to break out the minibud. I will help out as much as I can if needed advice may come around.
I actually have a 10' unimesh, but i was at the local hardware store last september or october and noticed they had a dish on the back of the building with the coax just hanging. I asked the owner about it and he plainly said you want it? Well, what sane guy who plays with satellite dishes and has a place to store it is going to say no. So it sat in my shop in the way getting moved from one side to the other until about a month ago. The biggest challenge was relocating the side support arms and making sure i kept the proper angle on the lnb support, which was made easier when i broke down and mounted it on a tripod so i could measure the angles. then i had to manufacture some sort of new holder as the factory lnbf while still working only had a vertical probe in it ( i removed the plastic cover to look inside). So now I have a rocking ku dish, but i also have this scaler ring kit i bought like 6 months ago and a titanium c-band lnbf laying around. I can get some blips, but nothing above 15 to 20% Q. IM guessing im too high, not at the right distance, scaler not in right place, a combo of all of the above and probably more. Im fooling around with it more or less for the challenge, not because i actually need to use it. But while im out there goofing around youd be surprised at the amount of people stop and see what im doing. Add on top of that they dont think im nuts, they are kinda interested. I have had a couple of guys that work for me or for a sub contractor that i work with actually have me stick a dish up for them. most of them were 90cm dishes they bought or got from a friend ect ect. One guy that works for me went up to a customer and asked about a dish they had in the yard and got it and ill be helping him here ina few weeks put it in.

But I gotta say Danner, i was intrigued by your setup. But in my mind wandering what c-band i could pick up with it brings me to a lighter dish then the fiberglass dish and a motor. I cant justify it though since I have Little need for it. But im sure ill always wonder. Im probably going to scale back my spending on FTA equipment for a while since i really want to buy and learn to fly and ultralight, and the wife already said it was ok to start saving for one. Already talked to a guy about a demo flight in a trainer. Guess my mid life crisis is trying to learn to do all the stuff i always wandered about when i was younger, lol.

Thank you. Manly it's on 99w c band I could get a lot until they started with the interference issue. My mom loves cozi tv so it has to stay on 99w c band and 103w ku for her. I try to do with what I have to work with. I have recently moved my dish around for decades, movies, and hero's on the v7 barely was coming in. There's more factors in a minibud than a 10 footer power levels is one only the strong transponders you can get. I would love to have a 10 footer one day but one man can only hope.

Thank you. Manly it's on 99w c band I could get a lot until they started with the interference issue. My mom loves cozi tv so it has to stay on 99w c band and 103w ku for her. I try to do with what I have to work with. I have recently moved my dish around for decades, movies, and hero's on the v7 barely was coming in. There's more factors in a minibud than a 10 footer power levels is one only the strong transponders you can get. I would love to have a 10 footer one day but one man can only hope.

Dan the man I know the feeling!

I recently bought a Titanium C1W-PLL LNBF and a CS1 conical scalar and mounted them on a Fortec 90cm offset dish. The receiver I currently have is unfortunately quite old (Fortec Mercury II) and is limited to DVB-S and MPEG-2 and SD only. I played a bit with the system over the past few days, and have had some limited results:
- 91W: 2 transponders: The Word and Classical Arts Showcase (SD)
- 105W: 1 transponder: ESPN radio, on 3707/V/3336. I assume it is 105W based on the spectrum on the satsignature website.

In both cases, based on my observations on satsignature, those transponders have quite a bit of power, and, probably the most important factor, are "isolated" - by that I mean that they are on frequencies that appear to not be in use on the adjacent satellites.

With a more modern receiver I would possibly get a few more channels. I tried 55W and 58W, my cheap satellite finder indicates that there is some signal but nothing comes up on a blind scan. Again could be because of the limitations of the receiver too.

Has anyone had much luck receiving anything on 107W with a mini-BUD (or micro-BUD, really)?

YES in the above pic the one on the side gets 107w c band and 111w c band city tv depending on how I move my dish. You have to get above 70q on 107w c band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts