"C" Band Pros, Which would you pick?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
You have a 10 foot Orbitron mesh dish and a 10 foot Winegard Pinnacle perforated.
Which one would you install? And why?
(No room for both)

RT

I have both my Pinnacle and a 10' mesh dish up. I must admit the Pinnacle is dialed in better. :). I thought I could make the mesh dish better as it's not real deep (F/D.39), but so far the Winegard still beats it on both KU and C.
July4 016.JPG

I'd rather have both. No, one or the other. In reality, the mount for a pinnacle did rust. However, the orbitron rusted the center plate quickly too, and is the weaker unit, by far. Important here is which one is worse off now. I'll take the pinnuckel.

Well, I've owned an Orbitron, which I got new in 1985 & they are a pain to put together, so I might think about the Pinnacle...I imagine that it would last a little longer. Perforated metal is stronger then mesh.

That's two +'s right off the bat. Which one is in better shape.

If you ever have a section of mesh come out of the Orbitron...It can be a bugger to get it back in. The mesh "slides" in a groove, which is held together by the outer ring... There are a dozen or so mesh panels...Once it's up, it generally pretty tough, but it cant deflect a football...LOL

When I found a Unimesh a few years ago the Orbitron got recycled :eek: yep...I scrapped it:popcorn

Last edited:
Likewise my vote would be for the Winegard Pinnacle.
Agreed, Orbitron panels get knocked out sooo very easily by flying debris, birds, etc in a windstorm. Gave my Orbitron SX-10(18 panels) away to another member here rather than attempt to move it with me.
The Pinnacle segments break down into 8 pieces with interlocking edges. The perforated metal has a certain amount of spring memory making it easier to "pop" back into shape.

Last edited:
I pick the 10 foot Winegard Pinnacle it is way better dish then then Orbitron

Well, I've owned an Orbitron, which I got new in 1985 & they are a pain to put together, so I might think about the Pinnacle...I imagine that it would last a little longer. Perforated metal is stronger then mesh.

That's two +'s right off the bat. Which one is in better shape.

If you ever have a section of mesh come out of the Orbitron...It can be a bugger to get it back in. The mesh "slides" in a groove, which is held together by the outer ring... There are a dozen or so mesh panels...Once it's up, it generally pretty tough, but it cant deflect a football...LOL

When I found a Unimesh a few years ago the Orbitron got recycled :eek: yep...I scrapped it:popcorn
I know what you mean, I bought and put this one together several years ago and it was a bugger. It is not in bad shape for the years on it.
From what all have stated, I will put this one up and hope I can get it done before the cold sets in. l started gathering the "parts" I will need to convert to rods instead of the button hook. It may work OK, but this way I can have the "fun" of manufacturing something.
Thank for all the comments.:)

RT < the Cat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)