C-Band questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The LNA should be replaced with either a LNB with a mechanical polarizer or the LNA and feedhorn replaced with a LNBF, which is much more friendly to most MPEG2 receivers. The LNA drift will probably be too great for reliable reception of digital FTA. Carefully check the parabola of the dish. Many dishes warp over time or become damaged and not acurately reflect signals into the feedhorn.

Iceberg,
> But how much of the dish has to clear the roof? <

Most of it.

> If I set it on my deck, about the bottom 1/4 will be blocked by the roof...it sounds like I'm screwed. <

Not necessarily. The bottom 25% (assuming you're talking about a linear portion of the diameter) represents only ~15% of the reflector's surface area, or less than 1 dB of loss. A 10' dish has a lot of gain. I've seen them work with a full quarter panel missing. (The problem there primarily being the extra ground noise pickup from the missing panel.)

I agree with Brian that if you want good stability (and low phase noise) for DVB reception, you should consider replacing the LNB with something newer. If you do, with an LNBF you can control the polarity just like you do with Ku (13/18V), and not have to worry about running wire and driving the servo positioner. As a bonus, the noise temp will drop from 50K to 17K.

- Tim

VideoGrabber said:
> If I set it on my deck, about the bottom 1/4 will be blocked by the roof...it sounds like I'm screwed. <

Not necessarily. The bottom 25% (assuming you're talking about a linear portion of the diameter) represents only ~15% of the reflector's surface area, or less than 1 dB of loss. A 10' dish has a lot of gain. I've seen them work with a full quarter panel missing. (The problem there primarily being the extra ground noise pickup from the missing panel.)

If I set it on my deck, the LNB will clear the roof (this by using 40 degrees). But the lower part of the dish ill hit the house.

Iceberg said:
what options are there besides H & V?

Most receivers should allow you to adjust the skew between -90 and 90 degrees, in 1 degree increments.

You could also move the feedhorn to a point instead of the dish to get different sats.

My coworker gave me a lexor, LNA, and block coverter. He know I can't stant to see anything go to the landfill so off to a hamfest next year it goes to be given away.

Ken

Iceberg said:
If I set it on my deck, the LNB will clear the roof (this by using 40 degrees). But the lower part of the dish ill hit the house.

I'm assuming this is a LNBF that I would need in place of the LNBA?
http://dmsiusa.com/c-band_lnbf.htm

ASC421.jpg

it would be...but this C-band thing is just temporary until I find somewhere to permantly install it

The posted C-band LNBF would work well for your application. Your receiver would be able to select the polarity, rather than being slaved to another receiver.

satelliteav

I'm assuming you are talking about the DVB receiver and not the C-band one

Well, I started this project :)

Purchased the above LNBF through PSB and DMSI...should get it Monday

I started building this. I had a bag of screws and I said (no pun intended) "screw it". Went to the hardware store and got all new bolts to hold the screens together. I figured put 2 pieces together in the garage and move it to the deck and finish it. You dont know the shear size of this until you start building it. I took it apart and was going to build it on the deck. One problem....its -12 out!

I'm going to start it later today and hopefully can get it up and running by the weekend. I did figure out one thing. Due to the size and how far up it this, I should be able to clear the roof for most of the satellites :)

If I can get a couple analog with what I have, I'll be happy :)

I did have one more question....For the Anchorage stations, I figured I'd move the dish to AMC7 and try to find a signal with the analog stuff there. I don't have a VCII board in my receiver (took it out because it added weight to the receiver). What happens when I try to tune in one of the Denver stations? Will I get a scrambled signal or will I get anything at all?

sweet!

Thanks Jim!

(I noticed that Lyngsat says there is NASA in the clear on there too)

C-Band advantages

Is there any advantage to getting a C-band receiver, besides just for playing around. Doesn't KU have more programming available? What is the future of C-band? Is it destined to become obsolete? I am just wondering if it is worth the expense of setting up another satellite system.

Thanks!

MrM

MrMylesG said:
Is there any advantage to getting a C-band receiver, besides just for playing around. Doesn't KU have more programming available? What is the future of C-band? Is it destined to become obsolete? I am just wondering if it is worth the expense of setting up another satellite system.

Thanks!

MrM

Know one can tell the future, but if you like feed hunting and picture quality that is unmatched then its worth getting a 4dtv and a dvb box slaved, you must make sure you have a 10ft dish with small mesh and a dual band feedhorn. For best reception for the lowest cost.

Always one step behind!

Never fails! :(

Just checked Telstar 11 listing on Lyngsat and lo and behold, RTN is not listed anymore. In fact, it looks like the NA beam is blank. However, I checked a RTN listing and it says two Russian channels are on Galaxy 11, BUT are on C-band.

Hmm, this might be the chance to convince my wife to go along with another sat dish in the yard. I am not sure if my Home Owners Assoc. will go along with a BUD though. Oh well, that's life I guess.

Looks like it is much harder to set up a C-band system than regular KU. Are there any "C-Band for Dummies" books?

MrM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts