c band reciever options

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crimefighter

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Hey guys!

I'm finally ready to buy a Fta reciever I plan to connect to one of several BUDs I have now. (8, 10 or 12ft) I have several Lnbs to choose from and have an older Uniden postioner. I also have a Country TV? C band reciever that works well. Question is: I had been leaning to the Pansat 2700a as a proven work horse but I'm now wondering if that model/vintage is just alittle out dated for a first fta going c band. It would be nich to control the BUD from the fta. Any one want to make a suggestion? THANKS for a GREAT site!!!

I don't know about the 2700a, but the 3500s won't control the actuator (no Pansat will). It (3500s) will control the servo motor though, so maybe the 2700a does too...?

I'd probally go for a coolsat 8000 and just let an old analog receiver control the servo and move the dish. If your not into HD then a 2700 should be fine. I own a pansat 2500a that does have servo connections on the back. So maybe even one of those will work for ya. Also their is a vbox available that will move the dish through diseq commands from a fta receiver. I don't have one. So i don't really know much about it as i use my 4dtv to move the dish. But i think others in the forum have them and can answer your questions better.

The CS8000 is a nice box but doesnt have blind scan so if you are into feed hunting you would need 2 boxes.

The Pansat 9200 is HD and does blind scan but can get a wee on the spendy side.

the V-Box basically allows you to use the big dish with a smaller DVB receiver and not need the analog box. Your 2700 I thought had a polorotor on it to control the servo motor.

You need a box with blind scan or as some manufacturers call it "smart search".
Pansat 9200HD has a decent search option. You have to buy the 8psk tuner board extra for the dvb s-2 signals (not a lot of that now but there will be one day).

A coolsat 8000 HD would work along side a pansat 2500/2700/3500.
You could just program the coolsat with the HD transponders from each satellite and let the pansat do most of the standard definition work.

A coolsat 8000 HD would work along side a pansat 2500/2700/3500.
You could just program the coolsat with the HD transponders from each satellite and let the pansat do most of the standard definition work.

That's what I do with the 8000 or the Quali-TV. Scan in the stuff with the CS5000 and manually enter it into the other box

one from column A ...

First, I think you need to face two questions/problems:

1)
. you're going to have to deal with the polarotor control with an analog, 4DTV, or 2500/2700/3500 Pansat receiver
(I think I covered most of the options).

Alternately, you can replace the LNB and feed horn with:
a) electrically-controlled LNBf (and I'd favor a dual output one, if you can find it)
b) Chaparral Bullseye I (not Bullseye II, as they get quite spendy), equipped with two LNBs.
Either way, you no longer need anything to control the polarotor!

2). you have to deal with moving the dish.
As discussed, your options are:
a) an analog, or 4DTV receiver, or ...
b) a VBOX + any modern FTA receiver

Now then, whatever receiver fits with your choices after making the decisions above ...
...that is what you are left to work with.
If it's a nice SD receiver or an expensive HD receiver, you still have to deal with the points above, first.

My bulleye works great I don't which one I have. It has 2 ku lnbs and 2 c band lnbs. Is there a different design?

It works great with multi switches (Like an lnbf) but with the high performance of a proven feed horn design from the old days.

Thanks for the replies, Anole, I do have several feed horn/ corotor combos to chose from and I have a couple single output electronic controlled, right of the top of my head I dont recall brands or qualities. For moving the dish I planned to us analog as "last resort" only because im down to one working cband reciever. I have a Uniden controller that I can use to move the dish remotely. I understand that the FTA wouldnt be able to control the movements automaticly. Back to the lnb...so far my scrounging has only produced C band units, still looking for KU/c combo...I will consider purchasing a combo electronic controlled if no other find there way to my door. Economy is a goal but not requirement. Now back to reciever, when I said outdated, one thing I was questioning is no USB port. Is this a true worry? Guess what I really want is the best tuner that produces the best signal results without needing lots of bells and whistles. At this point Im and considering FTA as the 2008 version of the old shortwave radios. My main interest would be off continent news media. I live in far northwestern Wisconsin approximately 70mile south east of Duluth MN. I have been visiting this site for quite awhile and also am quite well versed in setting up the BUD, Im self taught C band since about 1995. I ve read lots of discreptions on sales ads and I think Im begining to understand what much of the tech info means on the FTA equip. Simply trying to avoid buying a Model A when a Hummer might be the way to go....Thanks!

I understand that the FTA wouldnt be able to control the movements automaticly.
if you get something like a V-Box that can move the big dish with the FTA box

At this point Im and considering FTA as the 2008 version of the old shortwave radios. My main interest would be off continent news media.
a fair amount of news from other parts of the world on FTA. Its kinda nice (and fresh) to see a different perspective of the world

I live in far northwestern Wisconsin approximately 70mile south east of Duluth MN.
Hayward area by chance? Use to live in Duluth for a while now in the burbs of Minneapolis :)

Simply trying to avoid buying a Model A when a Hummer might be the way to go....Thanks!
well then you found the right place. When I first got FTA 4+ years ago I got the model A of FTA receivers. Allowed 10 transponder entry, no way to edit channels, scanned everything in (scrambeld and FTA) and a bugger to program. But that stupid little box got me hooked on FTA :D

Iceberg: Yes in fact I am just 15mi south of Hayward( Stone Lake to be exact) I gathered from some of your posts that you were either Duluth or Twin Cities. YES to the news being refreshing I had a brother living overseas for about 18 yrs, just the little I learned about the world through him sending information or talking was enough to tell me that CNN or others dont always tell the worlds veiw. Im just hitting my 3days off now and will be committing to buy a Fta during that 3days. I may just go and order new model something and commit to using the analog to control bud or change out lnb and use one of the electronic controlled one I have on hand in the end that might be simplist. I never worked with those but KISS would seem to apply. I ve had very good luck scrounging here, fact is my line of work payes me to travel the area and be seen....you can figure it out from the user name...it also gives me a easy in to visiting with folks. So far the most I had to give for any dish was to hall of a busted one to get the good one. I have two more 10ft waiting when Im ready to take them 1 mesh 1 fiberglass. Recievers seem to be hard to come by...many including 2 i currently have had lighting damage. Some day when I work a day shift I need to stop and look at a Prime star dish only, the Lnbf is missing but hey its free....got to get 1st day off started here..grass is growing like crazy with all the rain later..later!

Kgbhdg: yes I know about Vbox, that however fall under "economy as a goal heading" once I get a good start into his Fta thing maybe worth considering but for now I would even consider what ive seen as "getto moving" ... as for the reciever...I do think I want a blind scan but as I just posted by the end of the next 3days Im in on this FTA and will be owning something ...Later!

My first FTA receiver was a Viacast Quantum commercial unit. Not really a Model A but certainly is a workhorse meant to run 24/7. No scanning with all manual entry and works great. Best of all it was $5 on Ebay.

I think the Pansat 2700A is far from a Model A in my book.

My first FTA receiver was a Viacast Quantum commercial unit. Not really a Model A but certainly is a workhorse meant to run 24/7. No scanning with all manual entry and works great. Best of all it was $5 on Ebay.

that's the box I'm talking about :)
Still use it on G10

My first receiver was a solid black Coship 3188A from eyeinthesky in Texas.
I got a 76cm dish, lnbf, and the receiver.

I remember hooking up a single lnb direct t v dish and getting a news channel from nimiq that was in the clear at the time.

Truckracer: from what I know I agree 2700a is more like a maybe a 65 Chevy Impala.....when would I actually have to worry about using the data connections anyway, Im not sure I really understand that part other than if the thing crashed somehow and I lost the channels stored in memory right? then whats the worst that can be, I start over with scanning right? ..If I buy current new in box the they are pre flashed, I understand that means some channel/sat settings are pre installed, like wise new software updates should be done ? Am I on track?...I just looked at computer...guess it does still have a rs232 connection...Acer with windows visa..so that being the case I guess if data connection is important then I can use the old cords....back to the lawn mowing..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)