C/Ku LNBF Combination....your experience?

... many offset dish mini BUD projects also use a plastic lid (margarine tub) on the conical scalar...

20211023_121516.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

So I used CLR, soft-bristle brush and an air-can. Cleaned it up best as I could. I also placed some clear-monster tape on the cover. I removed the heatsink also to verify there was no issue on the board. Able to reach a bird now.

Attachments

• Board.jpg
    Board.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 176
  • WG.jpg
    WG.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 170
I also placed some clear-monster tape on the cover.
You should NOT seal up those holes in the cap, which I mentioned above. They must remain open. Otherwise moisture will build up inside on the waveguide, and it won't be able to clear itself, even with the little hole you need to drill in the bottom.

You can use a margerine tub lid over the conical scalar to seal out rain water. It isn't the same as sealing the holes in the regular cap.

Reactions: Titanium
You should NOT seal up those holes in the cap, which I mentioned above. They must remain open. Otherwise moisture will build up inside on the waveguide, and it won't be able to clear itself, even with the little hole you need to drill in the bottom.

You can use a margerine tub lid over the conical scalar to seal out rain water. It isn't the same as sealing the holes in the regular cap.
Copy....I'll do that tomorrow. I'm just glad I'm back to receiving sigs.

Reactions: primestar31
Copy....I'll do that tomorrow. I'm just glad I'm back to receiving sigs.
You have another option you can do with your dish, though getting the proper aim can be very confusing the first time you try it. It certainly will keep out water! lol:

Attachments

• DSCF3046.JPG
    DSCF3046.JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 173

Attachments

• Potato Salad Scaler.jpg
    Potato Salad Scaler.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 172
Welp tater lid didn't work....found a bigger lid and have it secured by string to the scaler scews.

Attachments

• Scaler Cover Gen2b.jpg
    Scaler Cover Gen2b.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 192
  • H2O again.jpg
    H2O again.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: c-spand
Years ago I found a lid that fitted perfectly over the conical scaler. It sealed perfectly like a coffee can lid. I cannot remember the brand but it was a can full of those square dishwasher pods.

Catamount

Years ago I found a lid that fitted perfectly over the conical scaler. It sealed perfectly like a coffee can lid. I cannot remember the brand but it was a can full of those square dishwasher pods.

Catamount
I have some Folgers black lids but they are just shy off fittin' perfectly.

Reactions: c-spand
I use a thick plastic vapour barrier sheet over the scaler opening on my 8' offset dish. Have to replace it once a year as the plastic breaks down. The margerine lid only lasts a month or two at most up here.
There is air flow through where the scaler and LNBF meet to provide circulation.
Sorry can't find a picture of the current config. Can take one tomorrow.

When I ran a 1.2m dish, I used a plastic bag and some zip ties to cover the LNBF and conical scalar. Obviously if you were going to do that, you'd want to use plastic that will withstand the sun, and you'll likely have to replace it once or twice a year. But it's a simple way to keep the water / snow out. It doesn't have to be perfectly sealed on the underside to allow it to evaporate any moisture.

If you have a motorized dish, the problem with drilling a drain hole is that the hole position will not be at bottom center depending where you park the dish, and may still accumulate too much water.

Long ago I had a c-band LNBF on a small dish that got wet exactly for this reason... took it apart and put it in the oven on low heat, put it back together and ran it for another few years with plastic bag covering, until I moved. :cool:

sgs

Reactions: lawdog71

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts