C Span

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hmm. it's really too bad that Mot continues to ignore home users. seems like there sure is a lot of DCII stuff "up there" and from that link more is going that way.. but we home users are basically SOL for any of it.
purusing lyngsat for the DCII stuff, TONS of channels and LOTS of HD content available.
maybe we should start the SatGuys SatTv company so we can subscribe to it ;-)

I don't care whether it's DCII or DVB, I just want to know why CSPAN 2 and 3 are supposed to be ENCRYPTED! :rant:

I don't care whether it's DCII or DVB, I just want to know why CSPAN 2 and 3 are supposed to be ENCRYPTED! :rant:

This might explain some of it. From C-SPAN website:

"C-SPAN is a private, non-profit company, created in 1979 by the cable television industry as a public service. Our mission is to provide public access to the political process. C-SPAN receives no government funding; operations are funded by fees paid by cable and satellite affiliates who carry C-SPAN programming."

They encrypt to insure that cable and satellite affiliates pay them. If they don't pay, they can deauthorize their receivers.

I can hardly believe that their audience is very large. I guess it gives the ego tv guys something to brag about...."I get 500 channels", problem is they don't watch half of them. It's been unencrypted as long as I can remember on analog. I never watched it when I had a sub but have on occasion FTA.

I was watching C span one day when the climate change panel was on there....OMG what a dog and pony show it was. I lost respect for C span right there. Wasting good transponder time on a bunch of idiots who can't back up any claims or disclaims, just arguing with each other and in the end "we are just not for sure if climate change is real" ......sounds like a big propaganda distraction to me.

You can bet when the news media is giving some moot issue the limelights somebody in the background is pulling something crooked.

Remember when you were a kid and the school bully was getting ready to punch you in the face......You look to your left and say "hey what's that?".....when he gets distracted and looks to his side at what he thinks your looking at you knock his teeth out and run.

News does the same thing. always remember that.

Heck the CPAC channel (Canadian government) at least is a little more exciting...they start major arguments and seen some swearing on there :)

Hopefully CSPAN stays free

This is honestly, truly, a damn shame. There is no reason to encrypt anything. I have commercial DCII receivers, but if they are not zero key or fixed key, I'll never receive them. This absolutely disgusts me to no end. At least C-SPAN is still unencrypted.

But this leads to another thing. Most channels are supported completely by advertising. Say, any one of the Scripps Networks, or Discovery Networks, or A&E Networks, or Lifetime Networks. They are supported completely by advertising, yet they are all F****** encrypted! In the US, TV is based on Neilson ratings. The more people like the show, the higher the ratings, thus more people watch, and more eyes see the advertisements that the advertisers want, but yet, these channels are all encrypted. This completely disgusts me when I want the master C band feed because of picture quality. F*** these A$$h****!!!!

Even though they have advertising, I believe those channels also charge cable companies and satellite providers, who carry those channels, a fee per subscriber. That is why they encrypt, to protect that income.

I tuned my DTE-7150 to C-Span 2 and 3 per their instructions:
http://www.irdrollout.com/cspan2/.\includes\CSPAN2_CSPAN3_Rollout_Instructions.pdf

They are currently using an edge band signal so they can keep the analog signal up during the transition. The analog signal will go away on September 20th.

Unfortunately the DC 2 signal is encrypted and authorization is required.:(
Oh well, I thought about doing the same with my DTE-7150,
but you proved I'd be just wastin' time. :(

That's a crock, but then again maybe a good thing. Who wants to watch the corrupt government these days. :eek:

Agreed.

On one hand I feel that C-Span should be available, unencrypted, in analog, DVB, DSS, etc................

On the other hand I'm not really sure if I want to watch (and listen) to those lyin', cheatin' skunks (and skunkettes).

:(:rant:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts