Cable and no box!A thing of the past

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Just turned on my tv in the sun room and now only get limited basic with only 11 or so stations.Looks like comcast is making tv watching on a digital tv without a cable box just about useless.:mad::mad:

Just turned on my tv in the sun room and now only get limited basic with only 11 or so stations.Looks like comcast is making tv watching on a digital tv without a cable box just about useless.:mad::mad:

Just go get your FREE DTA that I'm sure they have been notifying you about. Hook it up and you'll get your channels back.

Be happy, that means they are opening more bandwidth for more channels in your area.

Just go get your FREE DTA that I'm sure they have been notifying you about. Hook it up and you'll get your channels back.

Be happy, that means they are opening more bandwidth for more channels in your area.
Thanks Yaz! Just read the xfinity notice! Two free adapters!just what we need.

yup they did that about a year or so ago here in Minneapolis. Lifeline is still ok (2-23) but the rest require that DTA thingy

yup I remember when my grandma got hers for the den TV (her main TV has a HD Box already) she was charged $18 to call in and activate that DTA. If she didnt all she would have got was lifeline on that TV

Wow that was Quick! I ordered my two DTA's late Monday and got them Wednesday! Activated them both at the same time by phone automation.I didn't read the whole letter comcast sent me about the upgrade but i didn't see or hear anything about an activation charge.

Some areas don't charge. My Mom in Ft Lauderdale got one for free for two years with no activation charge. She does have to pay a monthly charge for it now, though.

it depends on the market. In most areas lifeline is still available on a normal TV with no DTA needed. If you have a digital TV you can get clear QAM but still lifeline
some markets are digital only and requires DTA for all

as example here in Minneapolis here is the QAM available (lifeline cable...any other channel requires a DTA or box)
2-1 PBS HD
2-2 TPT Minnesota
2-3 TPT LIfe
2-4 TPT WX
4-1 WCCO HD
5-1 KSTP HD
5-3 MeTV
5-4 ThisTV
5-45 KSTC 45 HD
9-1 KMSP HD
9-2 KMSP SD
11-1 KARE HD
11-2 KARE 11 Weather
23-1 WUCW HD
23-2 WUCW - CoolTV
23-3 The Country Network (WUCW)
29-1 WFTC HD
29-2 WFTC SD
41-1 KPXM HD
45-5 KSTP WX
50-1 WGN HD
84-1 Metro 6 Regional Access
84-2 Univision
84-3 QVC
84-4 CSpan2
84-5 CSpan
84-6 WGN
84-7 ShopNBC
84-11 Sonlife
85-67 HSN
85-68 EWTN
93-11 TBN
93-14 Educational Access
93-15 Public Access
93-16 Government Access
107-5 ShopNBC
107-10 Jewelry TV
110-1 TPT 2
110-2 WCCO 4
110-3 KSTP 5
110-4 WUCW 23
110-5 KMSP 9
110-6 WFTC 29
110-7 KARE 11
110-8 KSTC 45
110-9 TPT 17
110-10 KPXM 41
110-11 GOD TV
114-1 TBS
115-50 CNN

What is interesting is WGN is in HD but not CNN or TBS (yes we get those 3 stations in lifeline)

THe Comcast system at my rental condo is small enough that lifeline cable is not even offered and according to Comcast they don't have to offer it. Only when the system reaches a certain number of subscribers. The one advantage that I have is that I can use their online services.

Wow that was Quick! I ordered my two DTA's late Monday and got them Wednesday! Activated them both at the same time by phone automation.I didn't read the whole letter comcast sent me about the upgrade but i didn't see or hear anything about an activation charge.

There is probably no activation charge.

since they are required in Minneapolis the point is moot. There is no charge to use them but they charge an "activation fee" for new subs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts