cable box HD output quality?

mcf57

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I have a family member who has Brighthouse cable. About 2 years ago, they were upgraded to a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box. It was hooked up to an older 32" CRT Sony TV & mainly used to watch SD digital channels (2-150). Since this Sony TV has HD component inputs, it is able to receive the HD channels in their area (ch1000+) from this box as well & was the way it was connected.

They recently got a 40" Samsung flat screen HDTV and over the past weekend, I helped them remove the old 32" Sony CRT and replace it with this Samsung HDTV. Now, I noticed this Scientific Atlanta 3250HD digital box didn't have any HDMI connections for its HD video output. Rather, just a component (Red, Blue, Green) connection is used for its HD connection. I used this connection for the new Samsung TV for now, but had a question regarding HD connections.

I had always thought that a HDMI connection provided the best HD picture quality & was a little better than a component HD connection, but a Brighthouse tech rep told me the component HD output on this 3250HD box was just as good as an HDMI connection. Since the new Samsung has 2 HDMI inputs and one component, they might eventually exchange this 3250HD digital box for something that has a true HDMI so they can then hook up an older DVD player to the Samsung as well.

Basically, I was just wondering about component HD picture quality versus HDMI picture quality. Are they really the same & its just a different way of hooking equipment up? Or is one better than the other?

What your eye can notice? there is no difference. Is there a technical difference? sure.

The biggest difference though is that with HDMI you get audio and video all in a single cord, where as with using the component cables you need to use 5 total cables to do the same thing.

I have a family member who has Brighthouse cable. About 2 years ago, they were upgraded to a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box. It was hooked up to an older 32" CRT Sony TV & mainly used to watch SD digital channels (2-150). Since this Sony TV has HD component inputs, it is able to receive the HD channels in their area (ch1000+) from this box as well & was the way it was connected.

They recently got a 40" Samsung flat screen HDTV and over the past weekend, I helped them remove the old 32" Sony CRT and replace it with this Samsung HDTV. Now, I noticed this Scientific Atlanta 3250HD digital box didn't have any HDMI connections for its HD video output. Rather, just a component (Red, Blue, Green) connection is used for its HD connection. I used this connection for the new Samsung TV for now, but had a question regarding HD connections.

I had always thought that a HDMI connection provided the best HD picture quality & was a little better than a component HD connection, but a Brighthouse tech rep told me the component HD output on this 3250HD box was just as good as an HDMI connection. Since the new Samsung has 2 HDMI inputs and one component, they might eventually exchange this 3250HD digital box for something that has a true HDMI so they can then hook up an older DVD player to the Samsung as well.

Basically, I was just wondering about component HD picture quality versus HDMI picture quality. Are they really the same & its just a different way of hooking equipment up? Or is one better than the other?

A very slight difference only and you will likely not be able to tell the difference. HDMI like Insider says has the advantage of containing the audio. The true issue here is choice...did you ask for a unit with HDMI and not receive it? if you would prefer to have HDMI vs Component let me know and I will help with this. But from an operational standpoint there won't be much if any of difference.

No, they didn't specifically ask for an HDMI box. Rather, they simply got this box when they signed up for a triple play package with Brighthouse (phone, TV, internet). At the time, in addition to swapping out their modem (for one that could handle the phone line option), the tech also swapped out their previous digital box. I think they did this at the time because they had an older Sceintific Atlanta box that couldn't handle the onscreen caller ID feature. This 3250HD box can do caller ID. At the time, they weren't concerned about HD since they really only watched the digital channels (2-150).

The installer hooked up this 3250HD box to their Sony CRT TV via its component connections. I didn't realize it until I was over there helping them swap out the TVs that this older Sony was actually an HD set. No, it didn't have any HDMI inputs, but just component inputs for HD so it must be an early generation HD set of some kind. But like I said, in the end they really just watched the regular digital channels (2-150) anyway so it wasn't a huge deal. I think they watched the SD digital channels & never messed with the HD channels cause SD were in the 1-150 range. HD channels for their area are in the 1100 range so the input method was easier (they in their 70s). Both looked good on the older set, but there is now a noticeable difference on this new Samsung HDTV so I expect they will watch the Brighthouse HD channels.

As far as offering help to swap it out, thanks, but I think they are eventually gonna get another HDTV set for their bedroom and will then want a HD box of some kind in there as well. They plan to have a Brighthouse tech come out and install another box. I told them when they come out to just specifically ask for a box that has HDMI connections. This way they can save the new TV's component connection for a DVD player. If needed & at the same time, they can probably also have the tech swap out their current 3250HD box for one that has a HDMI output as well and accomplish the same thing; save the Samsung TV's one component connection for a DVD player instead. Thanks for the offer though.

Last edited:
No, they didn't specifically ask for an HDMI box. Rather, they simply got this box when they signed up for a triple play package with Brighthouse (phone, TV, internet). At the time, in addition to swapping out their modem (for one that could handle the phone line option), the tech also swapped out their previous digital box. I think they did this at the time because they had an older Sceintific Atlanta box that couldn't handle the onscreen caller ID feature. This 3250HD box can do caller ID. At the time, they weren't concerned about HD since they really only watched the digital channels (2-150).

The installer hooked up this 3250HD box to their Sony CRT TV via its component connections. I didn't realize it until I was over there helping them swap out the TVs that this older Sony was actually an HD set. No, it didn't have any HDMI inputs, but just component inputs for HD so it must be an early generation HD set of some kind. But like I said, in the end they really just watched the regular digital channels (2-150) anyway so it wasn't a huge deal. I think they watched the SD digital channels & never messed with the HD channels cause SD were in the 1-150 range. HD channels for their area are in the 1100 range so the input method was easier (they in their 70s). Both looked good on the older set, but there is now a noticeable difference on this new Samsung HDTV so I expect they will watch the Brighthouse HD channels.

As far as offering help to swap it out, thanks, but I think they are eventually gonna get another HDTV set for their bedroom and will then want a HD box of some kind in there as well. They plan to have a Brighthouse tech come out and install another box. I told them when they come out to just specifically ask for a box that has HDMI connections. This way they can save the new TV's component connection for a DVD player. If needed & at the same time, they can probably also have the tech swap out their current 3250HD box for one that has a HDMI output as well and accomplish the same thing; save the Samsung TV's one component connection for a DVD player instead. Thanks for the offer though.

Anytime :)

I agree with BHNtechXpert as a few years ago I found a deal on HDMI cables. I hooked one up and found no video quality difference. I run my audio through my sound system and the quality was better than the HDMI cable.

I agree with BHNtechXpert as a few years ago I found a deal on HDMI cables. I hooked one up and found no video quality difference. I run my audio through my sound system and the quality was better than the HDMI cable.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. If you have a decent sound system, route the audio through it. Complicates the remotes a bit though.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. If you have a decent sound system, route the audio through it. Complicates the remotes a bit though.

The BHN remote can be programmed to your Sound system (most of them) and you can setup the remote to use the sound system when you push the volume button rather then controlling the TVs volume

At least you could with the older digital cable box remotes, I havent had to do it with the new ones yet.

This is a little late, but you do NOT want to hook up a DVD by component. DVD players are not allowed to upconvert to HD any movie protected by CSS (I.e. almost all movies sold) over component outputs. Always use HDMI for DVD players (or any other device you will use to play DVDs, such as Blue Ray, Xbox, etc.).

Also, when you set up the DVD player make sure you tell it you are displaying on a HD TV. This will make sure it plays an anamorphic video track, if available, which will look much better.

David

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)