cable box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
My mom has Comcast in NE Philly and only has analog cable. The tech came out and changed her cable box. It's amazingly small and seems to act like digital cable in that it shows an electronic program guide overlayed on the picture. She also seems to have other features that i've never seen before. I know she only has analog service in that there is nothing when you go to the digital channel assignments. My question is how are they doing the epg on an analog cable service, what other features does she have, and finally is this actually a digital box with the digital service turned off?

Been thinking it's actually digital though the channels allowed are from the old analog service.

Ron

Some Comcast markets have converted analog to digital including basic and expanded...

My mom has Comcast in NE Philly and only has analog cable. The tech came out and changed her cable box. It's amazingly small and seems to act like digital cable in that it shows an electronic program guide overlayed on the picture. She also seems to have other features that i've never seen before. I know she only has analog service in that there is nothing when you go to the digital channel assignments. My question is how are they doing the epg on an analog cable service, what other features does she have, and finally is this actually a digital box with the digital service turned off?

Been thinking it's actually digital though the channels allowed are from the old analog service.

Ron

It sound like that market has converted to all digital. The box she got is required to get programming at any level. They are not likely charging more money for it since analog has stopped. It's called analog-digital simulcasting (ADS), but only certain markets have it implemented now. Eventually all markets will be all digital.

If you can post the model of the box your Mom got from Comcast. Then do a google on the model and find out if it's digital only. Keep us posted.

It sound like that market has converted to all digital. The box she got is required to get programming at any level. They are not likely charging more money for it since analog has stopped. It's called analog-digital simulcasting (ADS), but only certain markets have it implemented now. Eventually all markets will be all digital.

If you can post the model of the box your Mom got from Comcast. Then do a google on the model and find out if it's digital only. Keep us posted.

I undertstandand will find out the type of box she has. My next question is if they've eliminated the analog signal how was she getting the channels before? Up until last Monday she had a true analog box.

It has RCA jacks in the back for audio and video. Shame it doesn't have an s-video output jack. Think i'll convert her to audio/video rather than r.f. as it stands now.

Ron

They dont eliminate the analog signal they eliminated the analog boxs, since it didnt offer you anything to begin with it was a waste to have it. So they gave her the digital box. They dont change the type of signal to your house you always get the same signal its just depends on the box you have as to what you can view.

If it's small and has more features maybe it's a cable card that they put in....

They are sort of converting the analog to digital near me since I've seen some fragmentation on cnn and cnbc...that usually doesn't happen with analog. It's a mixed blessing I guess.

They have to leave the analog signal on to accommodate those folks that only use a coax to the back of their TVs and don't have a digital tuner in it.

In any case she's paying way to much for analog service. Tried talking into the better deal with Dishnetwork or even Dirctv but doesn't want anything on her walls. Amazing it would be a $20 savings too. I don't think Comcast Sportsnet is worth the difference for that would be the only hting she's loose and she doesn't watch it anyway.

Ron

Here in Chattanooga, Comcast now has an Enhanced Basic service for $49.99/mo vs $48.50/mo for Preferred Basic (65 analog channels only). The only difference is that the Enhanced basic adds the digital box with it's epg, and access to VOD and Seasonal Sports packs plus the 50 + Music Choice audio only music channels. Not a bad deal for an extra $1.49/mo, and I am sure this is a way for them to start getting all those cable straight to TV analog only customers connected to digital STB's for an easier transition to digital.

Here in Chattanooga, Comcast now has an Enhanced Basic service for $49.99/mo vs $48.50/mo for Preferred Basic (65 analog channels only). The only difference is that the Enhanced basic adds the digital box with it's epg, and access to VOD and Seasonal Sports packs plus the 50 + Music Choice audio only music channels. Not a bad deal for an extra $1.49/mo, and I am sure this is a way for them to start getting all those cable straight to TV analog only customers connected to digital STB's for an easier transition to digital.

I odxn't know if she has enhanced or not. One of her boxes is of this new desgin the other is an old analo GI like she's had since getting cable back in '88. This new box which I forgot to write down the number also seems to give her in demand tv. I don't know if she gets all of the dmeand channels that digital subs get but there were quite a few. Shame though for she is lucky to understand how to watch channel 3. I know she'll never want to figure out how to watch it or how to use the EPG. She's 82 and deifinitely not into learning anything more than to how to turn it on. In fact I have her leave the boxes on all the time. I had her write down what to do if they are turned off. Wel this past week the old box was turned off so she couldn't change channels. well she freaked out for she didn't know what to do. I told her it was off and that she ahd the directions on hwo to get out of this problem. Well it didn't help.

Ron

She got the DCT700...

I odxn't know if she has enhanced or not. One of her boxes is of this new desgin the other is an old analo GI like she's had since getting cable back in '88. This new box which I forgot to write down the number also seems to give her in demand tv. I don't know if she gets all of the dmeand channels that digital subs get but there were quite a few. Shame though for she is lucky to understand how to watch channel 3. I know she'll never want to figure out how to watch it or how to use the EPG. She's 82 and deifinitely not into learning anything more than to how to turn it on. In fact I have her leave the boxes on all the time. I had her write down what to do if they are turned off. Wel this past week the old box was turned off so she couldn't change channels. well she freaked out for she didn't know what to do. I told her it was off and that she ahd the directions on hwo to get out of this problem. Well it didn't help.

Ron

The box your describing sounds like the DCT700:
http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=385
http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/customer_docs/user_guides/512555.001.pdf

It does everything the bulky other unit do...

Nopt positive but that definitely looks like the box she has.

Without having to read the entire manual what features does it have?

Thanks

Ron

It works with ONDemand, PPV and all other Comcast channels. The only thing it doesn't have is the clock led on the front. It does all the same things as the older bulky units.

I have one, and it works excellent, I love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts