Cable/Satellite Rewards Programs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cable_betty

Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Hey there. I'm doing some research on cable and satellite customer rewards programs. If anyone would be willing to help me out, that'd be great! Here's what I need to know:

1. What sorts of rewards programs and communications does your entertainment provider give you? (free service? credit? how much and for what?)

2. What sorts of rewards would you LIKE your entertainment provider to give you? (be realistic please - yes, we'd all love a free HDTV but that's not likely to happen any time soon ;) )

Thanks so much!

1. I have three providers, so I will answer in 3 parts:

1A. Insight Communications. Wireline cable television, internet, and phone provider.
The only thing I can ever remember receiving from Insight was one coupon for one Video On Demand movie, and it expired before I had a chance to use it. They do have a bunch of free VOD content, and I do consider it a reward to some extent, but they still don't carry VOD from BBC America, or any of the broadcast networks. If they would add BBC, Disney & PBS VOD content, it would go a long way toward making the free VOD more worthwhile for me. As it is, I mostly watch G4 and Anime Network Free (Limited selection of larger SVOD offering).

1B. Echostar (DISH Network). They have sent me several free PPV coupons, back when I was a subscriber to various monthly basic packages. I think I may have used one of them, because I just don't order PPV that often, and I tend to forget I have a coupon until it's expired. They also have Club DISH, but unfortunately the only person I ever convinced to buy DISH got it years before I did (and years before Club DISH) so there is no way I could have gotten a bonus. It's a shame, because the customer I introduced to them has a DVR and (IIRC) has America's Everything Pak, and has done so for years at a total of 3 different addresses.

1C. Sky Angel. I have a Lifelong subscription. I consider the special events they carry at no extra charge to be a great bonus. I think they don't give themselves enough credit in this area. They carry both ministry events and concerts from across the country, and if one were to consider the value of these specials in terms of secular PPV pricing, it is a great deal for the SA* customer.
On the other hand, they have recently begun an effort to divide their service into a faith-based package (covered by the lifelong subscription) and a set of secular channels (which SA* believes they can charge for separately). This has not been well received at all, by most SA* customers. It seems to be at odds with the image of a Christian ministry which Sky Angel previously cultivated.

2A. I would like it if Insight, or their soon to be successor, Comcast, could offer on-screen coupons (which would "pop up" when I turn the cable box on). Certainly, customers should also be able to opt out of this, and such coupons should *never* and I mean *never* pop-up during regular programming. In fact, if such promotions were simply available through a menu choice, that would be okay too. Since the cable boxes are two-way, if I click on a coupon, it should then be automatically applied to my bill. I might be more willing to use a free VOD movie coupon if presented in this way. Something else I would like is a more common-sense idea of tiered packages. Sports programming should be separated as much as possible into a tier that I can choose to not buy at a meaningful reduction in price. Sports is one of the most expensive parts of TV programming, and I don't watch any of them. I'd rather be able to substitute a premium and/or SVOD package of my choice.

3B. Similarly, Echostar could support electronic coupons on their receivers. And the tiering thing wouldn't be a bad idea either. Similar to cell phone companies, they ought to offer customers who are willing to sign another 2 year contract a new receiver if they return their old receiver. Not everyone needs or wants a new receiver, but they are awfully expensive if one isn't smart about how to be a "new customer." Alternatively, offer those who don't want a receiver a free premium service for 6 months, or something along that line.

3C. Sky Angel should add additional faith-based services to make up the minimum 32 programming choices that are referred to in the lifelong subscriber agreement, if SA* wants to separate 4 channels and refer to them as a secular package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)