Cable Signal Booting for a LONG RG11 run

bsilvertab

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Rockford MI
I currently have a 700-800ft RG11 run from our house up to our cabin that is on the edge of our property. (I am not running an illigal feed to another residence!) The cable comes in and runs to an 8 way splitter. I was thinking of putting a 2 way in front of the 8 way to see if that helps, but I can't see how it would make a dramatic difference. Some of the channels come in alright but as you move higher up the channel list (35+) they start to get real fuzzy real fast. Are there any commercial boosters that would help out with this long run?

That is because the higher the frequency the more attenuation you have. If you were to put an amplifier on it I would amp it at the house before it goes to the cabin this way you are amping the strongest signal.

Depending on who your cable provider is you could call them to have them come out and see if there is anything they can do first.

If I see correctly you have a line coming to the main house, it hits an 8way from the 8way goes to the cabin. Putting a2 way before the 8way then feeding the 2way leg to the cabin would save you about 7db of signal. You could try that first to see how it works then the other option is the amplifier. Id call the cable company first to see what they will do for you. As most trouble calls are free anyway. Worth a shot.

Yes, splitting it off two ways first would help. A two way splitter has 3.5 db of loss, an 8 way splitter 11 db of loss.

This could be enough to solve the issue.

If not, throw an amp before the splitter or get a distribution amp. If need be then, add a single amp before the long run.

Even with rg11, 700 ft is a hell of a run. Will a 2way before the 8 block help, yes. Is is going to solve your problem, no. How long is the drop from the pole to the home? 700ft. + drop = ?? With that kind of run you should have hard cable run but if you wanted that done, I'm pretty sure the cable provider would put the cost on you. Hard cable would be pretty expensive.

I tried a 2-way before heading up to the cabin and that did help alot. It is about a 200 ft run from the drop outside, then 700 feet from the house. I am going to looking into some commercial boosters. Thanks everyone for your help.

I tried a 2-way before heading up to the cabin and that did help alot. It is about a 200 ft run from the drop outside, then 700 feet from the house. I am going to looking into some commercial boosters. Thanks everyone for your help.

Are you adding any digtial boxes??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)