Cable STB - No HDMI !!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
Well crap. I just had a new drop run and cable box installed for my new, first HDTV. The box has no HDMI output! The installer said, "That's all they give us."

What kind of crap is that? I know. It's the kind that stinks.

Just disconnect it , bring it down to you local cable co office and swap it.Alot of the 3rd party cable guys carry old refurb boxes.

Just disconnect it , bring it down to you local cable co office and swap it.Alot of the 3rd party cable guys carry old refurb boxes.

Well, that was very kind of them to do that...force you into extra work, time, and aggravation to get decent equipment :rant:.

I wonder if it would make sense to give those boxes only to people who want to use them on non-HDTV's? Hmmmm...I think that would be a yes! Hmmmm...I think it is possibly, just maybe, conceivably....STUPID, arrogant, and dismissive to give those boxes to HDTV customers.

BHN remains consistent with its arrogance and stupidity.

Off to unnecessarily waste gas and time to get a box I should have been given at install time. Geesh.

Ok, gets better and better...

25 min drive to office to exchange the box
15 min in line (two of the 5 reps left about 5 min in, about lunch time even though there was a long line)
20 min at the counter
20 min drive home.

Lady at counter was nice.

I did get two new remotes (the one left by the installer was different from what I have on the other box, but it was not the latest one either!) I wanted to not have two different remotes with different key patterns to deal with. So, I will have to program these and then return the older two (another trip). No hassle over that, but interesting I was given an old one by installer.

The written instructions she gave me to get a "BOX HIT" done were completely wrong.

She was puzzled that installer said the old STBs are the only ones they are given to install. I don't know where the truth is. She said the order should have shown that the install needed HD.

If I wanted a DVR rather than non-DVR, it would be 9.95 more per month--about +$120 a year!! A lot of money to add a disk to the box.

Contractors can only install what is issued to them by the MSO. Also, for the record, not all equipment they have is old refurbs. Comments like this really do nothing but help agitate the person thats already agitated.

I did get two new remotes (the one left by the installer was different from what I have on the other box, but it was not the latest one either!) I wanted to not have two different remotes with different key patterns to deal with. So, I will have to program these and then return the older two (another trip). No hassle over that, but interesting I was given an old one by installer.

Ya, it is unfortunate that alot of the equipment issued to sub-contractors is used and older style. However, that does not limit their functions. Also, you don't have to run them down. In our area (which your in), all you have to do is call them up and ask them to either

1. have a tech stop by and pick them up
2. ask them to send you 2 remote mailers. (postage is prepaid! NO cost to you!)

I am interested in which HD box that they did initially issue you though. If it was a Pace box, yes, it doesnt have an HDMI port, but it does have a DVI port, and the tech was supposed to use a(n) dvi <-> hdmi cable to hook it up. Although, they only do it if its initially asked for (while the work order is being created) It's not something they carry on their trucks.

She was puzzled that installer said the old STBs are the only ones they are given to install. I don't know where the truth is. She said the order should have shown that the install needed HD.

The reason she said that flat out is because they are CLUELESS. They have been reprimanded MANY times to keep their mouths quite about stuff they don't know anything about. Top that off that those ladies are SPOILED and always get first dips and the new models of everything BEFORE anything is handed out to contractors.

And for the record, I can probably guarantee 100% that the box you went and picked up has been issued and returned atleast 3 times before you even got it. So the above statement of contractors have nothing but refurbs, every single box in Brevard county are OLD, USED, and I guarantee most have been refurbed more than once.

Last edited:
I was not demanding new (as in unused before) stuff. I simply thought that a video delivery company would install equipment appropriate for the site where it is being installed.

The remote part was a minor thing...I should have thought about matching them up while the installer was here, but I doubt he would have had one like my original one. Whether he would have had TWO of the same versions he could have given me, I don't know. Thanks for the info about a mailer. Wonder why the rep who issued the new ones to me didn't mention it and give them to me? Cost saving measure?

Also, that installer was a subcontractor matters not a twit to me. My money goes to BHN. I called BHN to order the install. That THEY choose to use a subcontractor should not change my expectations of decent service.

You get the equipment the tech has. Thats all he can do. If he only has an HD box with Componant or DVI thats all he can give you. Thats all the warehouse has availible to his office.

The front counter usually has a bit bigger selection as most are located at work centers so they have all the boxs the work center has access to. (at least in the Orlando area this is true)

Customers are not promised any particular box and Customer service has been told countless times to make sure that is the case. If you reuqested a specific box (did the work order specify you wanted HDMI?) Even then they are told not to gurantee it but simply say they will ask for it for you.

And the reason why the DVR costs 120$ more a month then a regular box? Aside from the higher cost of the software how about the fact the boxs cost over between 200-300$ more then the standard digital box? So you have increased software cost (perhaps even more costs with the current TIVO Rulings) and the increased cost in the hardware. So yes the DVR is more expensive. Its like that with ANY video provider.

As far as the two remotes, you were right you should of asked the tech. But as was pointed out you can ask for the mailers, I dont think they have them at the front counters anyway, to my knowledge, because usally the mailers are for when you call the customer service line they can just mail you out remotes, so you do not have to wait for a truck, or BHN does not have to spend 70$(estimated cost per truck roll) by sending a truck to give you a remote.

As far as the contracter comment goes you are 100% correct. To many people do not realize that from customer service, to services techs and on. They do not seem to grasp that in the customers eyes BHN is BHN they dont care what department, what company who you work for. They see everyone as BHN.

You get the equipment the tech has. Thats all he can do. If he only has an HD box with Componant or DVI thats all he can give you.
Well, duh, of course. The point is, they knew it was to be an "HD" installation because I asked for an HD box--followed by discussion I was not talking about DVR, just HD-capable STB. No, I did not specify I wanted an HDMI port. Neither did they ask me at order time. But from what you say, it doesn't matter--they will only "try" to give you what you want...no guarantee. I don't even want to comment on that.
The front counter usually has a bit bigger selection as most are located at work centers so they have all the boxs the work center has access to...
If there is some rationale that makes sense that the organization which delivers equipment to customers on a truck does not have access to the same inventory the counter delivers to walk-in customers, I'd like to hear it. It sounds like, "If you're willing to drive here, we'll give you the good stuff."

As far as the contractor comment goes you are 100% correct. To many people do not realize that from customer service, to services techs and on. They do not seem to grasp that in the customers eyes BHN is BHN they don't care what department, what company who you work for. They see everyone as BHN.
You're darn right. Why should I accept that it is an adequate justification for some problem that it is because that's handled by some other department. Talk about finger pointing. And the above discussion is a perfect example: why should a customer get better equipment from one department than from another (rhetorical to make the point)?

Thanks for the info about a mailer. Wonder why the rep who issued the new ones to me didn't mention it and give them to me? Cost saving measure?

I would think its a 2 part thing on that one.

1. Maybe new girl at window didnt know
2. Cost saving measure.

" I simply thought that a video delivery company would install equipment appropriate for the site where it is being installed. " Would you please clarify this statement? It's a little fuzzy to me.
BHN installed a non-HDMI STB at a house with an HDMI TV. I simply thought that a video delivery company would install equipment appropriate for the site where it is being installed.

Well, duh, of course. The point is, they knew it was to be an "HD" installation because I asked for an HD box--followed by discussion I was not talking about DVR, just HD-capable STB. No, I did not specify I wanted an HDMI port. Neither did they ask me at order time. But from what you say, it doesn't matter--they will only "try" to give you what you want...no guarantee. I don't even want to comment on that.

Well did they not bring a HD Box? If they didnt then thats an issue, but if they did bring an HD box, the fact it did not have HDMI is simply a personal preference you have. Hooking up the TV with Componant or DVI are still valid HD installations. If they do not have any availible boxes with HDMI then thats all you get is DVI or Componant. Again you can ask for a specific box, but there is no gurantee its availible. At least not at the time you order it.

If there is some rationale that makes sense that the organization which delivers equipment to customers on a truck does not have access to the same inventory the counter delivers to walk-in customers, I'd like to hear it. It sounds like, "If you're willing to drive here, we'll give you the good stuff."

Its not so much that they have "the good stuff" Its that they have different stock. The Techs (installers/Service) Go through boxes so much faster then the front counter, so its likely the front counter has equipment from a week or two ago, while the tech has to get new equipment daily. So while the tech may of gotten a batch of Box A, front counter is still working on its stock of Box B.

You're darn right. Why should I accept that it is an adequate justification for some problem that it is because that's handled by some other department. Talk about finger pointing. And the above discussion is a perfect example: why should a customer get better equipment from one department than from another (rhetorical to make the point)?

Also note that the techs when they get equipment do not get to pick and choose from the warehouse stock. Way to many techs to give equipment to in the morning. Front counter on the other hand has all day to setup and work with the warehouse person (usally an on-site warehouse center) to get the equipment they want.

BHN installed a non-HDMI STB at a house with an HDMI TV. I simply thought that a video delivery company would install equipment appropriate for the site where it is being installed.

Not all HD tvs have HDMI capability. So, without you telling them that your HD tv has HDMI support, how would they know to bring a box with HDMI or DVI ability?

You do know that HD has 3 mediums it can transmit.

1. RCA
2. DVI
3. HDMI

With all the models on the market, there is no possible way for them to know what every single customer has unless the customer specifically asks.

Last edited:
jcarrera this is how it is; look at your work order and see if it specifies what tierof service you ordered...All equipment issued is based on that and it is the installers responsibility to ensure he has the matching equipment before he goes out into the field...Additionally he should have backup boxes; at least 1 of each type he is installing that day; in case he has a faulty unit...

It all comes back to the installer and not being prepared...

As for getting a reconditioned box goes...well everyone wants a NEW box but by gosh noone wants to pay for a new box...As long as the box works correctly, is clean and presentable then there shouldn't be any issues...I know you weren't the one who brought it up but since it was brought up I thought I would address it...

Glad you got it worked out and sorry you had to be the one to do it...

I did not order ANY "tier of service." I asked for a new drop in the living room and an HD box--but not DVR type not needed.

Also, I have said repeatedly I was not insisting on a new box, just one appropriate to the TV it was to be connected to, i.e., an HDMI port. Yes, it can be and was connected by component cable, but that forces the customer into a stepped down level, as well as having to have video and audio cable run rather than a single one.

Now here come all the comments saying component is just as good as HDMI. I don't care to get into that here; it is a different discussion. Start a new topic if you wish to discuss that.

Well then I cant see anything wrong with what the installer did nor what BHN did. You did not specifically request you wanted HDMI. (Even so they would not of guranteed it but at least it would be on the work order for the tech to try to get one). The fact that you are picky and only wanted HDMI was not the installers fault nor BHNs As you did not let them know that prior to the installation. Componant and DVI and HDMI as far as what youd notice the difference is so minute.

So the Tech did bring the proper equipment to do the job. You requested an HD box and thats what you got. Why all the fuss?

I asked for a new drop in the living room and an HD box
Well, you got a HD box so what are you complaining about? You didn't ask specifically for a HD box w/HDMI output you only specified "HD box". But rather admit you are the one who goofed and accept the responsibility of your mistake, you'd rather blame BHN.:rant::rolleyes:

BTW...you DID ask for a tier of service when you requested a "HD box". That box assignment put you on a completely different tier.;)

Now here come all the comments saying component is just as good as HDMI. I don't care to get into that here; it is a different discussion. Start a new topic if you wish to discuss that.
Since you seem to know everything, why didn't you ask for a HDMI box?:rolleyes:

OIC. Thanks for the help. Blame the stupid customer for not realizing you had better say the precise words.

I could imagine a conversation like this:
"I need an HD cable box."
"Do you need an HDMI port or will component be OK?
"I need HDMI."

But Noooooooo. Let's not have a sensible conversation to define the precise needs. Let's just ask no questions, write down the order, and the stupid customer WHO OUGHT TO KNOW IN HIS HEAD ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT OUR PLANS AND EQUIPMENT will get whatever he gets. Won't that be fun!

I gather you are also a BHN-connected person. Am I wrong?

And, incidentally, YOU seem to be the one who knows everything. I have already admitted I do not--because clearly I did not know that an HD box would be delivered without an HDMI connector. SO my stupidity is readily evident. I guess next time I need to order something, I will try to get myself first scheduled through all of the BHN trainings so I will be sure to know EXACTLY everything I need to say to the order taker.

Have a nice day thou who knowest all. You represent BHN well.

And you are wrong about the box I got putting me on a different tier, but I don't want to take the time to explain to you just why that is. Besides, you already know, because you know everything.

Last edited:
When I signed up for cable, they would only give the boxes with the cool features out to those who ordered a professional installation for an extra $50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts