Cable-versus Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks, sorry if I seem stupid here but if I run the 50' coax what type of fitting to I attach to the end of the coax to runinto the receiver...if that makes sense.

RCA Connectors, the same "style" used for your audio connections.

You can find connectors made specifically for use with Coax. Just don't buy the twist on. They work, but with the extra bulk of the coax, they come loose fairly easily.

If your handy with a soldering iron you're all set. It's pretty simple.

Thanks, sorry if I seem stupid here but if I run the 50' coax what type of fitting to I attach to the end of the coax to runinto the receiver...if that makes sense.

You might do better connecting the 1st TV using component & TOSLINK, then run a 50' HDMI to the other one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he uses the component output that everyone is recommending, I don't think he'll be sending 1080 to his displays. HDMI is needed to handle HDCP. Hooking up via component should output 480p max.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he uses the component output that everyone is recommending, I don't think he'll be sending 1080 to his displays. HDMI is needed to handle HDCP. Hooking up via component should output 480p max.

Slightly wrong.

Component does handle HD fine.
Composite does NOT.

Slightly wrong.

Component does handle HD fine.
Composite does NOT.

Component does handle HD up to 1080, but as an analog connection it cannot support HDCP digital content protection. I would assume most - if not all by now - HD channels have HDCP enabled. And if not, they will soon.

If you use the component connection, I would assume the DirecTV receiver is outputting 480p max. If your TV says it is receiving a 1080 signal, DTV may be upscaling a 480 source to 1080, but it can't be passing native 1080. In other words, HBOHD comes into the receiver at 1080, the box has to downscale it to 480 (the maximum analog output allowed for HDCP content), then upscale it to 1080 again (which causes a loss in quality).

Only HDMI and DVI connections can pass 1080 content for anything protected with HDCP.

Component does handle HD up to 1080, but as an analog connection it cannot support HDCP digital content protection. I would assume most - if not all by now - HD channels have HDCP enabled. And if not, they will soon.

If you use the component connection, I would assume the DirecTV receiver is outputting 480p max. If your TV says it is receiving a 1080 signal, DTV may be upscaling a 480 source to 1080, but it can't be passing native 1080. In other words, HBOHD comes into the receiver at 1080, the box has to downscale it to 480 (the maximum analog output allowed for HDCP content), then upscale it to 1080 again (which causes a loss in quality).

Only HDMI and DVI connections can pass 1080 content for anything protected with HDCP.

No one has activated that protection yet and likely never will. Component passes 1080i from Directv just fine. I have many DVRs hooked up to my TVs and use component a lot with no problems.

No one has activated that protection yet and likely never will. Component passes 1080i from Directv just fine. I have many DVRs hooked up to my TVs and use component a lot with no problems.

Got it. I thought this stuff was already turned on. That's where I was confused.

I doubt we will see that come into play with sat for a very long time.
I hope so, but we all know money talks in Washington. Consumer rights take a backseat to digital rights management/content protection even though they shouldn't. The entertainment industry will never learn that copy protection schemes cause lots of trouble for paying customers and do practically nothing to stop piracy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)